PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HG I know the feeling. I made a chocolate cake and as I am dieting it's just OH.
    He thinks he's up to the task.:D
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I've made sugar free banana bread for 2 weeks in a row and whilst it tastes nice, I'd be interested in any other sugar / syrup / sweetener-free recipes tried and tested by OS regulars for snacking on. (I've been relying on ripe bananas, dates and currants for sweetening purposes thus far).

I think I'm going to have to go down the savoury scone route for my next attempt. Or perhaps a savoury rock bun, that could work?

I add unsweetened applesauce in place oil and it sweetens the cake a bit.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I add unsweetened applesauce in place oil and it sweetens the cake a bit.
    I'm experimenting with the fruit:fat:flour ratios (egg-free) and getting there through a process of trial and error but I'm either going to get fat in the process or quit baking altogether.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Today i have made Chocolate Cherry Flapjack :)
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I've made sugar free banana bread for 2 weeks in a row and whilst it tastes nice, I'd be interested in any other sugar / syrup / sweetener-free recipes tried and tested by OS regulars for snacking on. (I've been relying on ripe bananas, dates and currants for sweetening purposes thus far).

I think I'm going to have to go down the savoury scone route for my next attempt. Or perhaps a savoury rock bun, that could work?
    Have you tried pineapple fruit cake ?
  • Faust7
    Faust7 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I had to bring some food to a friend's birthday this weekend and miraculously had all the ingredients I needed for some amazing vegan chocolate chip cookies in my cupboard! :D With just a hint of cinnamon and coconut (thanks to the coconut oil used in them). They seemed to please all the omnivores, so I'd definitely count it as a success!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yesterday I made bread dough with the kids at church and we 'baked' it on my george forman grill to make flatbread.

The kids loved it, we all sat round a table watching bread cook - the only case of a burned finger was myself (forgot to take tongs).
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Today i have made Peanut Butter Cookies a really quick and easy recipe from BBC Good Food :)

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • Eyeore
    Eyeore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Upside down cake which I haven't made for years, it's delish

Greased and lined sandwich tin, sprinkled bit of brown sugar on bottom put halved nectarines in cut side down ( de stoned!) then popped usual 2 egg mix on top and baked for 35 mins. Shall be doing the a lot over the summer I think.

Great as there is only the two of us so will do for a couple of days.
    2019, move forward with positivity! I am the opposite of Eyeore :rotfl:
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have everything ready to assemble an American cheesecake with rhubarb and raspberries (last year's from the freezer) as topping. I learned this one from my auntie in California in the long gone 80s! This ever so versatile recipe has been a staple ever since, with rhubarb, plums, cherries or any berries - traditionally it's made with blueberries but it's not something I have been growing successfully, lol.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure