MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

Comments

• deadrobot
    deadrobot Posts: 245 Forumite
    I would not refund, no way.

The same thing happened to me, as a seller, I sold a large animal cage, it was well packed and sent by next day courier. A few days later the buyer emailed me to say the cage had arrived all bashed up and bent out of place and had 'ruined her daughter's birthday'. Due to the way it had been packed (with the base within the bars) I knew this could not have happened.
    I told the seller that they would need to send me pictures of the damage and I would take it up with the courier company as it was an insured package and that I would pursue a claim through the courier company. I never heard anything back so just left it. About 6 weeks later I received a very angry message demanding money from me for the damages. I replied saying that no pictures were ever received and it was now too late to claim from the courier and I could no longer refund them. I received a dog's abuse message back saying they were going to pursue me through every means possible unless I refunded them. I again refused and I never heard another word. They were totally at it!
    Scamsters do my head in! They ruin ebay for the good sellers. But the fees that they have started to charge have really put me off. I recently sold a dress for £30 and they took £6 in ebay/paypal fees, that's 20%!
  • hussaifa
    hussaifa Posts: 25 Forumite
    deadrobot wrote: »
    I would not refund, no way.

The same thing happened to me, as a seller, I sold a large animal cage, it was well packed and sent by next day courier. A few days later the buyer emailed me to say the cage had arrived all bashed up and bent out of place and had 'ruined her daughter's birthday'. Due to the way it had been packed (with the base within the bars) I knew this could not have happened.
    I told the seller that they would need to send me pictures of the damage and I would take it up with the courier company as it was an insured package and that I would pursue a claim through the courier company. I never heard anything back so just left it. About 6 weeks later I received a very angry message demanding money from me for the damages. I replied saying that no pictures were ever received and it was now too late to claim from the courier and I could no longer refund them. I received a dog's abuse message back saying they were going to pursue me through every means possible unless I refunded them. I again refused and I never heard another word. They were totally at it!
    Scamsters do my head in! They ruin ebay for the good sellers. But the fees that they have started to charge have really put me off. I recently sold a dress for £30 and they took £6 in ebay/paypal fees, that's 20%!

Agreed with a lot of the comments here and having suffered myself as as seller, and currently on a restriction due to a couple of unreasonable negs and poor star ratings, I empathise with all.

I guess the key question here, is if you were the buyer and noticed the issue after 2 months, what would be the scenario? You'd feel annoyed/conned, but 2 months down the line, you would have to accept your own error. Wouldn't matter what the seller said - you goofed up, and thats all there is to it!
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The only thing I'm a bit iffy about is "pretty sure". That suggests there is some uncertainty and in that situation I think the seller would have to go to a bit of effort to try and prove one way or the other.

I'm not a legal expert but if it's genuinely not in the case then from what I understand, the complaint period is irrelevant as they're still covered by the same statutory rights provided by the Sale of Goods Act as if they had bought new from a shop. The burden of proof would fall to yourself for the first 6 months to prove that you had shipped the complete product. After all, if you ordered a TV online and found that the remote was missing, would you accept the company calling you a liar?

That's why if you're not willing to take the risk, you keep good records and post with insurance (Special Delivery). The seller should give benefit of the doubt and issue the refund - only if the buyer returns the case of course - and learn to be a bit more certain about their actions next time, like ticking off 2 copies of a packing list etc.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Everything is stacked against the seller on eBay and Paypal. Having said that, I ordered a DVD from a private seller on Swapz that didn't arrive and the seller ignored my emails and messages on the website for info. Paypal re-imbursed me, heard nothing since.
  • ellymoo
    ellymoo Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was the buyer in this position. Someone sold me a trilogy on DVD but only 2 discs were contained. However I didn't ask for a refund - I asked them to send me the missing disc, which they did with many apologies, and I gave them good feedback as they are human and had made a mistake. Surely that would be the natural request from a buyer, rather than a refund.

Ebay is utterly on the side of the buyer and while I still use it as I need all the extra cash I can get, I do not trust it half as much as I used to and have vastly dropped down my usage. It is not a fair trading site.
  • I would first look at his feedback score in detail to see what type of ebayer he was, there are a load of chancers on there. I would then email him to ask if there was any damage to the packaging/case. Depending upon my research I would then decide on refund ;)
  • Cloudane wrote: »
    I'm not a legal expert but if it's genuinely not in the case then from what I understand, the complaint period is irrelevant as they're still covered by the same statutory rights provided by the Sale of Goods Act as if they had bought new from a shop.

If you're making a private sale, the Sale of Goods Act does not apply.
  • Whether or not you would give a refund is most likely irrelevant. Paypal will almost certainly refund the money to the buyer if you cannot prove that the item was complete when posted. I have never had this happen, but I have had an instance where a buyer complained that an item had not been received. Upon reading their feedback I noticed that this had happened a number of times before, which I thought was somewhat suspicous. Paypal however did not care about this - all that mattered was that item was sent by standard second class & therefore there was no proof of delivery. They say that all items should be sent by a recorded service to protect the sellers, however when you sell items for 99p an extra 75p of postage could make the difference to whether an item sells or not.

Paypal is generally a useful tool, but is weighted in the favour of buyers.
  • starbump
    starbump Posts: 357 Forumite
    On eBay, I always try to treat others the way I'd like to be treated. I would agree to refund if the buyer returned the case/packaging to me (initially at their cost) and then refund plus the extra shipping costs. If they are unwilling to return the case to me then I'd suspect something was wrong.

OTOH, I rarely trade on eBay and only do so as a private individual so maybe I'd think differently if I was a business seller.
  • I haven't had any serious run-inns with e-bay although I have had dissapointments with my buys. I recently bought a used cordless phone and 2 months later it died but I never contacted the seller because apparently that happens with that make of phones, even if I didn't know it when I bought it.
    On the other side I had a seller claiming something they bought from me was received damaged and they wanted a refund but they wouldn't send pictures or post the item back. Looking through her feedback she had tried that many times and left neg feedback when she didn't get her way. The result was that she left me neg feedback(with some lies for good measure) so I received my first and last ever neg feedback because of a fraudster.

E-bay is far from perfect but it's a tool and it has saved me a lot of money through the years. I have made some duff buys but one has to take the good with the bad. The axiom of "if it looks too good then it is" stands for them as well and people should be very weary of selling or buying very expensive things on there without seeing them first.

On the original question I would have to say no refund. I would delay the matter two more weeks so they had no feedback or refund rights and then tell them in no uncertain terms that they cannot expect a refund under these conditions. Assuming that they are genuine, they have responsibilities as buyers and one of them is to report problems immediately and not (stupidly IMO) to buy something on e-baya nd then go on a long holiday!

PS: If paypal refuses to release the money for 21 days then maybe sellers should start doing the same and paypal might change tack after the effect it will have on ebay's income. I'm mainly a buyer but it only seems fair for buyer and seller to share the responsibilities :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure