»

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

96 replies 25.9K views
MSE_JennyMSE_Jenny Senior WriterMSE Staff
1.3K posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

You’ve flogged a computer game on eBay for £20. Six weeks later, you receive an email from the buyer saying he just got back from holiday and the case arrived but had no disc in it – he wants a refund (the 45 day deadline for eBay complaints has gone). You’re pretty sure the disc was in there. Would you give a refund?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All
threadbanner.gif

Replies

• I'd know for sure if the disc was in there, always check before sending CDs DVDs etc out!
    In my early days as ebayer managed to cross pack 2 different VHS films so they went to the wrong guys, luckily one of them got in touch and I was able to persuade them to swop with each other, for a small PayPal credit to cover their post costs. Since then I ALWAYS check what's going out!

So...the answer's NO REFUND
  • No refund, it if was a used game then I would have checked first. I would be suspicious of any first contact after 2 months
  • twotimestwotimes Forumite
    6.6K posts
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

You’ve flogged a computer game on eBay for £20. Two months later, you receive an email from the buyer saying he just got back from holiday and the case arrived but had no disc in it – he wants a refund (the 45 day deadline for eBay complaints has thus gone). You’re pretty sure the disc was in there. Would you give a refund?

"Pretty sure" - either it was in there or it wasn't!? Why would you ever sell something without checking what you were selling?

If the suggestion is that a Royal Mail worker has opened the parcel, opened the case and taken the disc from the case, why would they not just steal the whole thing? It's an unlikely explanation.

I probably wouldn't give a refund as I would know for certain that the disc was in there. The only reason I might give a refund is because I know that I would get a negative feedback from the buyer if I didn't.
    Please do not steal competitions or answers posted on MSE and post them on your own website or other competition websites. Thank you
  • Of course not. As a business or private seller there is no obligation to after that length of time.
    If they can afford a 2month holiday, then they can afford to buy a new game.
  • Also thinking on a bit... 60 days is also the feedback cutoff. I wouldn't even concern myself with the threat of a negative.
  • BongedoneBongedone Forumite
    2.5K posts
    What about the post on here the other day. The game box was sealed but the disk was not in the box.
  • twotimes wrote: »
    It's 90 days, so longer than the two months.

it changed about 18 months ago to a 60 day limit. Same time as negs were stopped for buyers.
  • twotimestwotimes Forumite
    6.6K posts
    milfhunter wrote: »
    it changed about 18 months ago to a 60 day limit. Same time as negs were stopped for buyers.

Sorry, yeah, I did know that, don't know what I was thinking of.
    Please do not steal competitions or answers posted on MSE and post them on your own website or other competition websites. Thank you
  • tallgirldtallgirld Forumite
    484 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Yep I would give a refund but I would make it clear that I think they are TAKING THE MICK and I would not deal with them again!!!

I would also report them to ebay as a possible fraudster.