PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In my slow cooker today.... part 2

Options

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've been using my SC a lot this weekend...

Friday night I put on a low GI pea and ham soup, it takes 12-14 hours so it was for lunch Saturday. Only due to a substitute I used yellow split peas, and in the morning all the water was gone, and the peas were cooked! This is great because it took less then 9 hours so I can cook that during the day for dinner.

Yellow split peas, onions, carrots, frozen peas, red lentils, stock and cooking bacon
    Will do that today as looking for inspiration for my dinner tonight
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • CAT££
    CAT££ Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beef Brisket for dinner tonight.

Rolled the brisket in thyme, sea salt & black pepper, then seared in a hot pan.

Rested it on a bed of onions, carrots and a bay leaf with beef stock.

Smells amazing.
    Cat :wave:
  • Nocturnes
    Nocturnes Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Just bunged in a Jungle Curry to cook for a few hours (hoping 4hrs max!).

Random veg odds and ends in the fridge:
    Mushrooms, red pepper, courgette, carrot, celery, pumpkin, potato, leek, onion, garlic, tbsp tomato paste, handful of red split lentils, cup of coconut milk, fiery curry powder from Asian food shop (fried it first with onions and a little stock),
    chicken stock to cover the veg (made overnight in slow cooker from chicken carcass), seasoning to taste.

Will serve it on rice, with iced water on standby. ;)
    "The things you take for granted somebody else is praying for." - Morgan Freeman
  • lilbert
    lilbert Posts: 641 Forumite
    Options
    Lamb Madras using an approved food mix and reduced lamb! :)
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Steak and mushroom pudding :)
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • chinagirl
    chinagirl Posts: 875 Forumite
    Options
    Someone mentioned cooking baked potatoes in the SC, wrapping them tightly in foil. Any ideas on this???
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
  • Onwardsandupwards
    Options
    Thank you juliegeorgina I will stick to the hob. Does rice pudding come out nice in the slow cooker?
  • JulieGeorgiana
    JulieGeorgiana Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Rice pudding comes out amazing!

I think I might make some today, all my children love it. It's creamy and not dry. It's the best I've ever eaten :D
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • cjez_2
    cjez_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to use my slow cooker much more these days.
    Yesterday I cooked a gammon joint in it for 7 hours on low, on it's own. Was worried OH wouldn't like it as he never liked it when his mum cooked gammon as he said it was all sweaty but he loved it. It was falling apart- so tender and delish. Next time I'm going to do it with coke or ginger ale which he'd love.
    Last night I cooked a curried carrot, lentil and celery soup for our work lunches. Hot to just pour in the flask and it's lovely- eating it now.
    Now, what to cook tonight in it...?
  • Onwardsandupwards
    Options
    Will give rice pudding a try then as it is a favourite in our house too unfourtounately shop brought at the moment though :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure