Free Computer & Internet Access for Children aged 7-14 of Low Income Families

Options

Comments

• Wiglet100
    Options
    Yet again, the Government hands out to those on low salaries whilst some of us hard working souls who work diligently and do long hours and have managed to do just a little better in terms of salary get nothing.
    Not fair!
    ;-(
  • sylviesinc
    Options
    Shame, my son is in receipt of Incap which isn't income based and although he looks after his son 5 days a week, his ex wife has the child benefit so he can't claim anything. She gets WTC as she has a couple of part time jobs so neither of them can claim although they are both on low incomes.
  • phanmale
    phanmale Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I read all the comments on here with interest. I have worked on this grant scheme and I wanted to clear up some confusion.
    1. Wales, Scotland & N.Ireland do not qualify and there are no plans to roll out the scheme in these areas. The governments in these countries have spent money in other areas. It is an English programme.
    2. The Computer packages are expensive compared to other models in the shops! This is incorrect. The software, parental controls and support the laptops/PC's come with make them very good value. The shops supplying them are not making much of a profit, otherwise every company that sells PC's would be joining in (why are Tesco's/PC World not taking part?)
    3. There was a pilot last year in Oldham/Suffolk but the national scheme is different - the main difference is the grant is lower in the national scheme and its only 1 per household to enable more people to join in.
    4. Eligibility - wherever the line is drawn there will be winners and losers. Some will only just be eligible and some will only just miss out. Where you draw the line is the most difficult decision because budgets are tight.
    5. The scheme has been designed to be very secure and to avoid fraud. As a result the payment card can only be used in certain shops to buy certain packages and can only be used for one transaction.
    5. Why are the government giving away laptops to the poor? Because it is shown to improve grades by up to 2 grades at GCSE. The scheme aims to empower the poor to aspire to get good jobs, support their families, break the benefits cycle across generations and to reduce inequality in society.

If you are eligible, don’t feel guilty - just call the number and get an application form completed as your children will benefit enormously. If you dont qualify buy your children a 2nd hand computer and support their education. Being online can help save hundreds via cheaper shopping (comparison websites, ebay etc). Spend a little to get a lot.

Good luck.

There are winners and losers. Ive read the thread arguments with interest as I am for and against nearly all of them due to the fact Ive been on both sides of the coin.
    It was unfortunate that they rolled out EMA the term *after* my son started college - he got nothing while other students in his class got £30 a week. Not the best incentive to stay on in education :(
    Seems my 15yo just about to take his GCSEs is going to miss out too - our PC blew up on Christmas Eve (of all times!) and if the shops were open or not, I certainly dont have the money to replace it. We belong to 3 freecycle groups and managed to get a salvaged working machine for free. Its not the fastest and certainly not the most modern, but will certainly be adequate for 7-13 year olds to access the internet for their studies. (and for ranting single mums *and dads* to express themselves in forums ;))

I dont begrudge those that are entitled to the grant - I would accept it if it were offered, but its a shame there are greedy people that will take full advantage when there *are* other options.

That said, I am sure my 4 sons dont begrudge the way they were brought up and that I did the best I could in the circumstances at that time :D
  • miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Options
    Whats to stop them selling them on Ebay etc??
    The country is on its knees in debt and we give away free Laptops I am completely gobsmacked to be honest.
    And my daughters netbook cost £210!!!
    £100 - £10,000
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2010 at 10:34PM
    Options
    purepink wrote: »
    I think this is a wonderful offer and will be of enormous benefit to children whose parent(s) can't afford to buy them a laptop. My daughter is expected to have access to the internet for her homework. Sadly I am on a very low income and am in receipt of WFTC, so we don't qualify.
    Is this something that Martin could raise, please? Could the scheme be extended to include those who receive max WFTC? My income last year was under £6000
    If Martin can't raise it, does anyone know who the matter can be taken to, with a request for a review of the criteria?
    Thank you.
    I have written to an Email to Gordon Brown at Number 10 about it as its so unfair. I don't really agree with any of it TBH (I think if we have money then it could be better spent but that is my view and i do not run the country) but I know of two single parents that DO work and they are not entitled and on very low incomes. I have only had an automated reply

Contact Number 10

Thank you. Your message has been successfully sent to the Prime Minister's Office

and don't expect any response but at least i have vented my anger in the right direction and perhaps if others do too they MAY listen. We can only but try.;)

Like I say not a fan of any of these give aways but if they are giving away then it should be the same for low income working families. I know my friends could not afford to hand over £500 to their kids for a new computer just like that. We could not either.
  • fazeypie
    fazeypie Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Options
    At last! Someone doing something constructive instead of just coming on here making sweeping generalisations about people that aren't working! Well done marshallka!
    July- coconut body shop body butter, pom bear football, mini johnsons lotion, Sally Hansen nail treatments
  • 1welshlady
    Options
    I also live in Wales, but think I may try my luck anyway. Worth a go!!
  • InDebted2U_2
    Options
    4. Eligibility - wherever the line is drawn there will be winners and losers. Some will only just be eligible and some will only just miss out. Where you draw the line is the most difficult decision because budgets are tight.

If you are eligible, don’t feel guilty - just call the number and get an application form completed as your children will benefit enormously. If you dont qualify buy your children a 2nd hand computer and support their education. Being online can help save hundreds via cheaper shopping (comparison websites, ebay etc). Spend a little to get a lot.

Good luck.
    Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post to this forum, and your final comments (about the benefits to children) sum up what this grant is really about. :T

My son has been at home for almost the whole first two weeks of this term, due to the weather, and this laptop would have been very welcome to enable him to complete the alternative homework which his school set online. I hope that the benefits of this scheme will be extended educationally too, so that once families have these laptops their children will have improved access to school/homework online (especially when schools are closed during term time, as now) and perhaps the option of using them in class too.

Finally, I would be grateful if you (or anyone) could clarify the following condition:

"…who attends a state-maintained school in England full time**?"

My son's school describes itself as "Church of England Voluntary Aided Comprehensive School", but he attends due to our catchment area rather than on a church place. Would families with children attending this school qualify for the grant (assuming they meet the other conditions)?
    2021 Targets
    find my smile again
    :money:
  • 3guesses
    3guesses Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2010 at 12:50AM
    Options
    I read all the comments on here with interest. I have worked on this grant scheme and I wanted to clear up some confusion.

Hi Home Access Worker, excellent to have someone who actually worked on the scheme posting here. I was wondering if you could answer a couple of queries I have:

1. Why is the internet access side of things restricted to wireless internet? I have had experience of this (specifically 3's 3G wireless broadband, which seems to be the main Home Access offering) and disappointing doesn't come close. I mean, "up to 3.6Mbps" in reality = average achieved internet speeds of a dial-up modem, and at peak times no service at all. And wired broadband can be provided VERY cheaply, eg. Plusnet £6 pcm, or even Talk Talk with its free broadband - both FAR CHEAPER than the £200 12-month wireless option. Wireless is an attractive solution on paper, but very poor in actuality IMHO. Much better to have the performance and reliability of a wired network, or at the very least have it as an option...
    2. Again, why do the machines have to come bundled with unnecessary and bloated features: the software, the parental controls, the support, theft insurance, etc. This seems very much like buying an extended warranty for it, and we all know how little value for money they are. Again, make all of this OPTIONAL so that (a) people can spend money on what they need, (b) more retailers can take part and (c) the taxpayer can get better value for money.
    3. Why restrict what people can buy with the grant money? If you give someone £400 to buy a computer, let them spend that £400 on the best, most suitable computer for them. This really smacks of Big Government/Nanny State. They can always choose to go for a "Home Access Approved" package if they want. As a techie, I could spec up a pretty fantastic computer system for £400 for a friend of mine who qualifies for the scheme, but instead she is limited to the frankly dross standard fare offered by a very select handful of suppliers. Who wins? The suppliers. Sorry, but I don't for one minute buy your line that they are not making much money out of this. Eg. Samsung N130: Centrprise (Home Access Program) = £375, eBuyer = £229.12. Mark-up = £130 (57%!!!), and you can bet eBuyer are making at least a half-decent profit at the £230 level. Hmmm... Admittedly, you do also get a rucksack and a USB mouse (24-carat solid gold, perhaps?) from Centerprise. Oh, and the 1-year theft cover - is this where all the extra money is actually going?

I would really appreciate a response from you to the above points. Also, do you know if the details of the scheme are up for review at any time and whether or not it is possible to submit suggestions for changes to it? As it stands, it seems a very blunt, inefficient, less-than-great-value-for-the-taxpayer, sledgehammer-like solution to an important issue (from Mr G Brown? Now there's a surprise!): it is crying out for the option for a great deal more sophistication.

Cheers,

3g
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2010 at 1:20AM
    Options
    1. Wales, Scotland & N.Ireland do not qualify and there are no plans to roll out the scheme in these areas. The governments in these countries have spent money in other areas. It is an English programme.

You live 50cm over the boarder into Wales? Well that's the way it goes, your Welsh assembly has chosen to spend the money differently. Why not be cross at your assembly - not recipients of the scheme. I grumble about free prescriptions & no tuition fees that others benefit from in other parts of the UK but I accept that's just the way it goes. Soon as something is England only, there's a problem but it was Ok when other parts of the UK got benefits the English didn't.

It's divide and rule. Too busy complaining that the poorest households getting £500 quid so you aren't complaining about the millions lost through the bankers and the fiddling MPs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure