Free Computer & Internet Access for Children aged 7-14 of Low Income Families

Options

Comments

• nuttydee
    nuttydee Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Yet again this is only for England, I live in south Wales right next to the border of England and can't get this deal. There seems to be a lot of deals like this that my kids miss out on because we live 10 miles from the English border.
  • Beckipeg
    Beckipeg Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    If you don't qualify - don't forget you can get free access to the internet in your local library. Quite a few run homework clubs too.
    Beckipeg :)
  • purepink
    purepink Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I think this is a wonderful offer and will be of enormous benefit to children whose parent(s) can't afford to buy them a laptop. My daughter is expected to have access to the internet for her homework. Sadly I am on a very low income and am in receipt of WFTC, so we don't qualify.
    Is this something that Martin could raise, please? Could the scheme be extended to include those who receive max WFTC? My income last year was under £6000
    If Martin can't raise it, does anyone know who the matter can be taken to, with a request for a review of the criteria?
    Thank you.
  • leigh61
    Options
    im single working mother of 2 and disgusted with the latest government giveaway! i have a 7 year old and a 1 year old, i dont recieve free school meals or free fruit and milk!! and funnily enough my son doesnt recieve a free computer because the goverment think that seeing as i go to work i must have money coming out of my ears!!! (that was actually polite coming from me!) also i dont recieve £25 cold weather payment to go towards the cost of my gas because yet again the gov think ive got money coming out of my ears!!!
    this country is a joke its almost laughable! talkabout penalise the working people! where are the benefits for people that go to work?????

oh by the way i dont wanna hear from people that 'would love to go to work' or have a 'bad back', the only people that concern me are the elderly, seriously ill or people that have lost their jobs.

hmm lets have a think, maybe i should just jack in my job and claim benefits like the majority of people do or i could continue working and show my children that its good to work because we get to provide for people that sit on their backsides all day!!

GOOD OLD ENGLAND!!!!
  • PC_Boy
    PC_Boy Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 January 2010 at 4:48PM
    Options
    Although the basic devices can be bought cheaper than the grant value of £528, the Home Access package come with a lot of added value. The devices are current models and not old cheap devices that a supplier is trying to rid of.

They include software such as Internet filtering to protect children from inappropriate web content (3 years), anti-virus protection (at least 3 years), a productivity package (Open Office or Microsoft Office) and a suite of assistive technology software that would cost £100,s if bought seperately.

Also there is 12 months technical support (approx £10 per month if bought), a re-instatement policy in case of theft and and with portable devices, a carry case and mouse.

If you add onto the price of the device a 3G broadband connection that is pretty much unlimited for twelve months, then it actually a good deal.
  • brownmurder
    Options
    leigh61 wrote: »
    where are the benefits for people that go to work?????

working tax credit?
    There is a Money Saving Expert quidclan, next time your on quidco have a look for it
  • rosebyanyothername
    Options
    Why not include the whole of uk I recently moved wales. I live little village no shop no car and this would have been god send!
    :j I sometimes give myself admirable advice, but am incapable of taking it.
  • tzarina123
    Options
    I, like a lot of people do not qualify, I'm a pound over!!!!

don't be so ignorant
  • tzarina123
    Options
    Local library comment

Ha ha ha (sound of the qualifiers)
    This post is for the hardworking who manage to find the time on the Saturday morning together with all the other chores, to go to the public library to use the internet connection... on the basis you have pre-booked while johnny down the road is at home warm and cosy by the fire having had the extra cold 'weather payment' playing on his COMPUTER 'games'.

Guys don't forget your brollies
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    Options
    Well at least you get free prescriptions :)
    nuttydee wrote: »
    Yet again this is only for England, I live in south Wales right next to the border of England and can't get this deal. There seems to be a lot of deals like this that my kids miss out on because we live 10 miles from the English border.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure