🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Free Computer & Internet Access for Children aged 7-14 of Low Income Families

Options

Comments

• looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    miamoo wrote: »
    I am not jealous I simply dont agree, whats wrong with using the free internet in the library? Thats what I had to do for years untill I could afford a computer.
    not everyone lives near a large library and the smaller branch librarys often only have limited opening hours and a couple of computers which have to be pre booked.

Our local library is only open after school 3 days a week, has 2 pc's (often one of them isn't working :rolleyes:) and you have to book ahead for a 30 min session. Not exactly practical if your homework has to be in the next day or you have more than one subject to do.
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    looby75 wrote: »
    not everyone lives near a large library and the smaller branch librarys often only have limited opening hours and a couple of computers which have to be pre booked.

Our local library is only open after school 3 days a week, has 2 pc's (often one of them isn't working :rolleyes:) and you have to book ahead for a 30 min session. Not exactly practical if your homework has to be in the next day or you have more than one subject to do.
    I hate to say it but what is wrong with "books". ALso more to the point what is wrong with setting homework that does not need the internet:confused:. I know of some kids that have copied and pasted their homework from the computer in a hurry to get on facebook. :eek:
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    choccyness wrote: »
    I read about this grant from an email and thought great. I have 3 children (9,10,16)all needing to do homework on the computer plus I am a full time nursing student also needing the internet. Followed the link, checked the criteria and that's where it ended. Despite being a low income family (£240p/w) because my husband works more than 16 hours for this mount of money we receive working tax credit so arenot entitled to claim. It is the same with school dinners, we are several £1000s below the income threshold but you can only claim if you work less than 16 hours per week. Surely these things should be bsed on income not how long you have to work a day.:confused:
    But you are not below the income are you! Add your wages, your husbands wages and your tax credits, child tax credits for a whole year and see what you come out with.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • looby75
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    I hate to say it but what is wrong with "books". ALso more to the point what is wrong with setting homework that does not need the internet:confused:. I know of some kids that have copied and pasted their homework from the computer in a hurry to get on facebook. :eek:
    most of my daughters homework has to be done online via the school network, books wouldn't help there!

When I was a kid I would try and find short cuts round my homework too, it's what kids do it's only the technology that's changed ;)
  • tzarina123
    Options
    its 'bitterment' of the hard working having to swollow yet again the il's of the freebie society for the can't be bothered, can't work, won't work, why should I work I'm better off on benefits likes.

Why shouldn't we complain....my benefit receiving neighbours son got an Xbox for christmas his sister got a Wii, my son got a pair of trainers because he had holes in his others and some Jeans and underpants because that's all I could afford.

We are just fed-up of supporting other peoples kids that's all.
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    looby75 wrote: »
    most of my daughters homework has to be done online via the school network, books wouldn't help there!

When I was a kid I would try and find short cuts round my homework too, it's what kids do it's only the technology that's changed ;)
    I know, my daughter has to log on to something for her maths that goes directly then to school. Maybe we ought to take the teachers back to basics too. If you think of the the "old" school teacher, they had to set homework and mark homework and all in their own time. Its now on the puter. In fact it will soon be if you can press "print" on the printer you can teach. (Just kidding of course to all you hard working teachers;)).

(Sorry - off topic here...:o:naughty:)
  • looby75
    Options
    marshallka wrote: »
    I know, my daughter has to log on to something for her maths that goes directly then to school. Maybe we ought to take the teachers back to basics too. If you think of the the "old" school teacher, they had to set homework and mark homework and all in their own time. Its now on the puter. In fact it will soon be if you can press "print" on the printer you can teach. (Just kidding of course to all you hard working teachers;)).

(Sorry - off topic here...:o:naughty:)
    lol

actually I don't think you are going that far OT, it highlights exactly why this scheme is up and running. More and more school work is done over the internet, children who don't have internet access at home are becoming disadvantaged, and the children who are least likely to have internet access are those from low income families.

I do think that the scheme could have also included more low income families but I suppose they had to have a cut off point somewhere.
  • miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Options
    Actually having had a think about this the grants should of been given to people claiming working tax credit or single parents who are unemployed (not couples who both dont work)
    This is why I get so annoyed I know 3 families where neither parent works (and they are not on sick they sign on)they have 3 or 4 kids and keep having more, and they have no intention of working.
    Why should they get a free Laptop GRRR! MAKES ME MAD!!!
    £100 - £10,000
  • Lucky_Blue
    Options
    Does anyone know why this scheme isn't open to pupils studying for their exams in years 10 and 11?
  • housesitter
    Options
    tzarina123 wrote: »
    its 'bitterment' of the hard working having to swollow yet again the il's of the freebie society for the can't be bothered, can't work, won't work, why should I work I'm better off on benefits likes.

It's ok, you'll get some of the pie.
    Ebay is about to get swamped with cheap laptops.

We are just fed-up of supporting other peoples kids that's all.
    It's about the only thing people have responsibility for which is they cannot afford the payments they still get to keep them, and almost encouraged to obtain more of them.

Schools have computers. Perhaps if you don't have one at home and want to help yourself then you'd stay in at lunch and break time to use them? Just a thought.
    Oh but wait, it's easier to get a free one for your own use.
    So long as it runs facebook and MSN messenger it'll be ok.
    They wont see any actual work once the school bell rings.
    Where is the motivation to work coming from?
    Certainly not from within the home.

As far the suggestion that qualifying familys don't have a fixed phone line. Well, Sky require you to have one to take a package so you can assume that most of them will have one. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport