Free Computer & Internet Access for Children aged 7-14 of Low Income Families

Options

Comments

• Marv02
    Marv02 Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Get the dual core Toshiba C650 from Positive IT. It comes with 2gb ram and a 250gig hdd, and won't cost you a penny on top of your grant.

Hi, Positive IT have sold out of them I'm affriad. I've been hoping for a restock, but I don't think it's going to happen.
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    I'd advise anyone thinking about paying extra to these companies for more ram to hold off doing so. It would be cheaper for you guys to buy the normal 1gb version, then take the machine on Crucial.com and order the extra ram yourself. Putting it in is a doddle, as it's just a case of taking off the underside panel specifically for access to the ram and sticking the stick in. You really don't need to be tech savvy to do this. These companies seem to be charging the earth for a simple two minute job. If the machine comes with one stick of 1gb ram, it will only cost you £18 or so to buy a second stick from Crucial and pop it in yourself.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=R519
    OK ordered more memory and it's just been delivered. I've seen the flap underneath (you can see the stick that's already in through the flap) is it really as simple as just unscrewing the flap and sticking the extra memory in the spare slot?

Do I have to do anything else, will the laptop automatically "know" it's got more memory when I turn it back on? (sorry I really am totally un-techie :o)
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes simple as that just had it to the spare slot.
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    all done :D It was slightly trickier because I was trying to put it in straight and you needed to fit it at a bit of an angle and the push down but got there in the end.
  • chamley
    chamley Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    my sons 12 months prepaid 3 dongle, says ran out of data when he gos online,ive only had it 2 months,could it be that my son uses it for facebook and msn.youtube ect,
  • lulugirl
    lulugirl Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    I have been awarded £400 grant with no internet, I have virgin broadband at home but how do I connect it to that please. Im not very good with computers!
  • only_mee
    Options
    Either by wireless or an ethernet cable from the laptop/desktop to the router/virgin box.
  • lulugirl
    Options
    Thanks Do I need to install a disc on to the new laptop or would it just pick up the signal from inside the house?
  • only_mee
    Options
    Will pick it via wireless then input the security password.
  • lulugirl
    Options
    Oh I see thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure