PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cook Something Different Challenge

Options

Comments

• aplaceinthesun
    Options
    Ooooo I think I will join in with this challenge too if thats OK. I have quite a few recipe books but got loads of cookery magazines recently on Freecycle so should be able to get some inspiration. I probably wont do anything too unusual but it would be nice to have some meals that make a change from my usual basics! Will have a search and come back and post what I intend to have a go at, hopefully using things I have in already as both the cupboards and fridge/freezer are pretty full at the moment.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quasar wrote: »
    Ah but there's no law to say that we can't use a recipe as a basis and work around it according to our taste and means... Call it cheating maybe, but this is how fantastic new recipes are born. Here's hoping, anyway. :p

I tend to do that - read something I like the sound of and then modify to whats in the cupboards. I also tends to do weird concotions from what I have left, which sometimes is great and other times absolute disaster!
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm with you on this Nels (as always :))

and a monthly swap of recipe books would be fun too,
    I've lots of old ones cut from mags too, mainly Family Circle which I used to get regularly,

and as we cook a meal to share every 2 weeks at least, maybe we should always make that a meal we haven't tried before :) then we can leave comments on how it tasted :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll definitely join in this challenge! I'm looking for ways to broaden my culinary horizons a little, so I'm definitely going to take part. Thanks for posting this. I'm up for this, oh yes :D

Kitchenbunny xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2010 at 5:29PM
    Options
    Glad wrote: »
    I'm with you on this Nels (as always :))

and a monthly swap of recipe books would be fun too,
    I've lots of old ones cut from mags too, mainly Family Circle which I used to get regularly,

and as we cook a meal to share every 2 weeks at least, maybe we should always make that a meal we haven't tried before :) then we can leave comments on how it tasted :D

Fab idea :j:j course the one today was meant to be for you too but then you rudely go and get poorly:rolleyes: ............hope you are OK hun and have managed a bit more than the middle of a bit of toast:kisses3:

So I got 2 new cook books for christmas James Martin and Marcus Wareing My One Perfect Ingredient

So as I am off this week I am going to go for one from each .....Ill report back when I have decided what:D

Have posted the challengers list so you are all committed now including you Quasar :) xx
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 January 2010 at 5:29PM
    Options
    Ok, my charity shop expeditions have yielded two further cookery books I had completely forgotten about and they sound interesting:

The Joy of Cooking by Irma and Marion Rombauer. American tome of over 700 pages, lots of recipes for all sorts and also lots of sandwich variations.

Radiation Cookery book (can't see the author's name). Relax, it's not THAT kind of radiation! It's a very old book with a ruined cover, printed in 1927 and was meant for the Regulo New World Cookers - the first gas cookers I guess? Inside I found also a couple of recipes cut from newspapers, and one has the date August 19, 1941. There's a recipe in the book for cooking a sheep's head, but I think I shall pass on that one :o. But the barley cream soup sound delish. :D
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • focus888
    focus888 Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great challenge, im not a good enough cook to create a new dish each week but im going to enjoy reading all yours posts and getting some ideas on new meals to have =D x
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I'm in :j The children have suggested some meals we haven't had for a while :T and I'm off to look in books for a brand new recipe :D
    Nelski wrote: »
    So today I am starting as i mean to go on by cooking Jamies Roast Pork with balsamic baked roast potatoes and red onions. Not a massive stretch really but its a start for me:D

You should know the rules by now :naughty: recipe and/or linkie, please and don;t let it happen again :p

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm in :j The children have suggested some meals we haven't had for a while :T and I'm off to look in books for a brand new recipe :D

You should know the rules by now :naughty: recipe and/or linkie, please and don;t let it happen again :p

Penny. x

Ill go stand in the corner miss :D:D

My dinner :o
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 January 2010 at 7:17PM
    Options
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport