We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Boost Your Tesco Clubcard Points Discussion

Options

Comments

• n3phi1im
    n3phi1im Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DomtheMon wrote: »
    Just to add to the conundrum of points at the new recycling centres, at Shrewsbury the machines were at last working today (hooray!!!) I took several sacks (old compost bags!) full of plastic and glass bottles, metal lids, cans, foils and plastic tubs today and after putting them all through it said 100 items had been processed. I pressed finish. 100 items at 1 point per 4 makes 25 points yes? Wrong. 22 points. :confused:

I was going to have a go for the sake of having a go at CS but when I reused 5 bags in the store the girl gave me 10 points! Also I was well chuffed cos I got four metal tubular folding stools with padded tops (ideal for car boots or events or emergency perches for visitors) reduced from a value £3.74 to just 86p to clear! Plus they had 20% off homewares so got them for 69p each!!!! Happy days! Mega bargain of the month! So came out with a very wide smile. Have tonight spent £81 with Tesco Direct whilst triple points offer is on (lasts until Monday night), getting items delivered to store so no delivery charge.

Dom :beer:

Just a thought. Common sense would dictate that there must be an inactivity 'timeout' period otherwise it would just keep adding points to one clubcard until another card was swiped. If someone delays to cut up a bottle into smaller chunks, this could trigger the timeout. I would suggest swiping your card repeatedly.
    Just a thought...
  • Caz6
    Caz6 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Hey there, does anyone know the date by which points have to be earned to appear on August's Clubcard statement?

Also, one guy talkas about getting points for recylcing cans and bottles in a machine - how does this work? Can we all do it!?!

I am taking my friend and I to Cyprus for a week, half board in a 3 star beach front hotel in September - all thanks to my Tesco vouchers which I have been hoarding!!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    twistuk wrote: »
    How do you get points for recycling cans? Is there anything else you can recycle?

think there are some large recycling centres at tescos which gives points for recycling vaguely remember hearing about it, not many though.
  • Domthemon
    Domthemon Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    n3phi1im wrote: »
    Just a thought. Common sense would dictate that there must be an inactivity 'timeout' period otherwise it would just keep adding points to one clubcard until another card was swiped. If someone delays to cut up a bottle into smaller chunks, this could trigger the timeout. I would suggest swiping your card repeatedly.
    Just a thought...

No the problem seems to be that it doesn't recognise some items despite accepting them. It flashes up on the screen that the item is ''unknown'' but still counts it. I noticed that if I put through single foil cake cups it often comes up 'unknown' but if I put through 2-3 at the same time it recognises it as metal. It is a bit hit and miss but pretty sure that 'unknown' items that it accepts and counts don't get included in the total.

Dom
  • Domthemon
    Domthemon Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    n3phi1im wrote: »
    Just a thought...

As a 'PS' you have to press 'finish' when you have finished putting your items through, before this it shows the total items and pressing 'finish' then gives you the total points earned. I can assure you I didn't delay to cut up anything or otherwise and it gives you a rolling total hence my comment of the total items and the points not tallying. With all due respect, your 'Common sense' theory doesn't tally with the way the machine operates.

Dom
  • FloFlo
    FloFlo Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Options
    Could you put them on a piece of string and pull them in and out.

Only joking.
  • Caz6
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    think there are some large recycling centres at tescos which gives points for recycling vaguely remember hearing about it, not many though.

I've found a tiny ditty on Tesco's website about it but it's not much! They call them "recycling machines". I'm going to drop them a line about it to se where they are....will post the answers on here!

Ok...so I have an unhealthy addiction to these points!! Maybe it will stop after I've paid for my holiday!!
  • Caz6
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »

I've found a tiny ditty on Tesco's website about it but it's not much! They call them "recycling machines". I'm going to drop them a line about it to se where they are....will post the answers on here!

Ok...so I have an unhealthy addiction to these points!! Maybe it will stop after I've paid for my holiday!!
  • hallam_blue
    Options
    In the stores, there is a leaflet about motor insurance - if you phone up for a quote (you do NOT have to take theinsurance out) you get 500 points. Nice one.
  • Taffyscot
    Taffyscot Posts: 896 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    just phoned 01302 386304 for a car insurance quote used Martin's say no to 0845 numbers. Thought I would let you guys know the number and also I told the man I wanted the points to my card but had just reinsured my car. He said that he could take my Tesco number and fill our a form and avoid all the questionaire but send me out a quote next year. Yahoo I got my insurance by the way by doing a search with Martin's suggestions and then going through quidco and looking for the best cash back. Got £120.00 back insurance was £60 instead of £286.00 Thanks so much for this site I still can't believe it. Taffy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport