Money Moral Dilemma: Should Tom recycle his ex's Xmas presents?

Comments

• Go ahead and give her the pressies as long as you know that you will never, ever tell her, in a fit of pique, that you had bought them for someone else. Buy her something else aswell that you have really thought about and is really for her.
  • If the present would be right for his new lady friend then why not,but only if it is what he thinks suits her.Present should fit the person, not anything will do! Corrie
  • Yes, of course he should give her the jeans but he might consider binning the "Best Girlfriend" mug - unless of course Penelope is of the mentality to find it tasteful.
  • If Tom had a girlfriend at the beginning of the year that he thought enough of to want to give her a "best girlfriend" mug, is he really fickle enough to want to give that special gift to a completely different lady just a few months later - surely he should be respectful enough to at least wait til the following Christmas!
    And besides - he's replaced the "best girlfriend in the world" by another one that's exactly the same size, and already feels confident enough to chose clothes for her as a crimbo pressy! I'm telling you - he's a control freak!
    So here's a bit of advise for any single ladies out there; if you meet a man called Tom who's got exes called Nicole & Penelope, stay well clear!!! He's bound to be mental, probably into scientology & allsorts! ;)
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • Why not give them to her as a gift after Christmas that way he wins brownie points :-)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 December 2009 at 2:59PM
    I'm one of those who tries to give people 'just the thing'. So my only worry here would be whether it is 'just the thing' in the case of the new girlfriend. Or is it just a matter of using up any old present?
    If you think a few pairs of Levis are bad...I was dumped by a fella who promptly disappeared off the radar with his new woman. Nearly a year later, after they finished, he contacted me out of the blue to see if I wanted to go with him to Tenerife - hotel & flights paid for. It was clear that the holiday was originally planned for the two of them and I was being offered the stand in position. He was genuinely puzzled as to why I said no and accused me of being ungrateful!
    Any men on here, please tell me you understand my mindset... :confused:
  • pineapple wrote: »

Don't panic Pineapple, I'm with you on this this one. OTOH, you could have gone for a freebie and spent the time chatting up guys :D
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Best keep them just in case the new girl freind dumps him too. If I were him, I'd do my best to get a refund ! The new girlfreind may prefer perfume instead?:mad:
  • pineapple wrote: »
    I'm one of those who tries to give people 'just the thing'. So my only worry here would be whether it is 'just the thing' in the case of the new girlfriend. Or is it just a matter of using up any old present?
    If you think a few pairs of Levis are bad...I was dumped by a fella who promptly disappeared off the radar with his new woman. Nearly a year later, after they finished, he contacted me out of the blue to see if I wanted to go with him to Tenerife - hotel & flights paid for. It was clear that the holiday was originally planned for the two of them and I was being offered the stand in position. He was genuinely puzzled as to why I said no and accused me of being ungrateful!

The cheek of it! I hope he has learned from that expensive mistake? Good on ya girl for telling him to go where the sun doesn't shine, he he he... a lesson for you too? Go for a man who is more reliable, they do exist.
  • If Tom had a girlfriend at the beginning of the year that he thought enough of to want to give her a "best girlfriend" mug, is he really fickle enough to want to give that special gift to a completely different lady just a few months later - surely he should be respectful enough to at least wait til the following Christmas!
    And besides - he's replaced the "best girlfriend in the world" by another one that's exactly the same size, and already feels confident enough to chose clothes for her as a crimbo pressy! I'm telling you - he's a control freak!
    So here's a bit of advise for any single ladies out there; if you meet a man called Tom who's got exes called Nicole & Penelope, stay well clear!!! He's bound to be mental, probably into scientology & allsorts! ;)

My feeling too, he needs to grow up and smell the coffee, there is more to life than being bought with a pair of levis! I would be happy to accept a few nights in Paris, spa break, to name a few...that's what you call romance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure