We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

economy radiator company

Options

Comments

• susieq10
    susieq10 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Ihave a budget of £1300 to put storage heaters into a two bed flat. Do you know which are most efficient i.e. Dimplex, Creda etc? Or do you know of a website that compares efficiency on these?

Also would you only have the fan assisted ones only in the main bedroom and living room (small bedroom not in regular use).

I agree with Happy MJ!
    I have storage heaters and now, radiators too! I also have an electric fire for the lounge, in the evening when it drops cold.
    All you need to consider is the size/kw of the heater in comparison to the size of the room to be heated. Obviously, the bigger the room the bigger the heater. Also get ones with a thermastat, as these will save a little on running costs.
    As Happy MJ said, for bedrooms go for radiators with thermastat and timer.
    My storage heaters and radiator are by Dimplex, but it doesn't really matter what the brand!

:beer:
  • brrritscoldlol
    Options
    I have been reading this post for nearly an hour and obviously my question has not been answered :/ however i certainly have been entertained by the bickering and blatant ignorance in some of the post's :)

Basically I am going through the limited options to A: increase the efficiency and B: increase the output of my current heating system.. some points i would like to make clear.. I live about 30 miles from the nearest gas main and don't fancy picking up the bill for extending the service, the house is 400 years old and the walls made up of 5ft of rock (insulation was not up to scratch in those days), really want to stay away from oil for many reasons.

So currently we have 2 storage heaters and a log fire to heat a 3 bedroom house (which it does not). I am in the process of having solar panels fitted to my roof which will generate 4.5kw of the blue stuff, giving me free electricity (up to a point) during the day but not at night. What I am considering is replacing the storage heaters and buying a couple of the easyheat rads, most of the heat we use is during the day.. does this sound like a good idea? we are looking at buying 4?? Currently our electricity bill is about £240 a month, but i just want to be warm :)
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been reading this post for nearly an hour and obviously my question has not been answered :/ however i certainly have been entertained by the bickering and blatant ignorance in some of the post's :)

Basically I am going through the limited options to A: increase the efficiency and B: increase the output of my current heating system.. some points i would like to make clear.. I live about 30 miles from the nearest gas main and don't fancy picking up the bill for extending the service, the house is 400 years old and the walls made up of 5ft of rock (insulation was not up to scratch in those days), really want to stay away from oil for many reasons.

So currently we have 2 storage heaters and a log fire to heat a 3 bedroom house (which it does not). I am in the process of having solar panels fitted to my roof which will generate 4.5kw of the blue stuff, giving me free electricity (up to a point) during the day but not at night. What I am considering is replacing the storage heaters and buying a couple of the easyheat rads, most of the heat we use is during the day.. does this sound like a good idea? we are looking at buying 4?? Currently our electricity bill is about £240 a month, but i just want to be warm :)
    Can you break down the cost into kWh? How many kWh did you use last year (or any 12 months) at the day rate and how many at the night rate? If most of the heat you use is during the day then storage heating is cheaper. If it's mostly used in the evening then standard rate electricity is cheaper (but quite expensive).

The comparison the easy heat web site uses to compare E7 storage heating and standard rate heating is not valid. You need to make your own calculation.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • brrritscoldlol
    Options
    thanks for getting back so quick! We are on E7, would have to fish out the nitty gritty details of kWh.... people are here all the time and we need constant heat, i would say night time is the time we need the least! I really like how GCH radiators work, the heat they give out, the time they take to heat up, also their aesthetically appealing.. i suppose the question can these bad boys be powered buy solar??
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks for getting back so quick! We are on E7, would have to fish out the nitty gritty details of kWh.... people are here all the time and we need constant heat, i would say night time is the time we need the least! I really like how GCH radiators work, the heat they give out, the time they take to heat up, also their aesthetically appealing.. i suppose the question can these bad boys be powered buy solar??
    Any small amount of solar power generated in the winter will reduce the bill slighty but in winter the panels usually only generate enough just to cover anything on standby, a TV maybe, a few lights and that's about it. The panels generate most of the energy in summer. You could run an air conditioner for free in summer.

I really don't recommend spending so much on them when such cheap alternatives are available. Yes the alternative isn't aesthetically pleasing but really...who cares.. hide them in the corner behind things so you don't see them. I use a standard convector heater. It cost £10. It heats up very quickly and the running costs are low...in fact...exactly the same as those heaters.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I am in the process of having solar panels fitted to my roof which will generate 4.5kw of the blue stuff, giving me free electricity (up to a point) during the day but not at night.

Just tackling the solar panels first.

A system that can produce 4.5kW is large for a house and will be above the maximum size for the highest subsidy(FIT).

I don't know where you have got your figures from, but in all probability that output of 4.5kW will be generated at midday on a clear June day.

Even the biggest solar systems will often be producing nothing(zero) for very long periods during the day and in winter it is not even a starter for any form of heating. Even an ideal winters day like today(cold and clear) you will do very well to average 2kW output.

So basically forget solar for heating - just accept the subsidy.

Unfortunately these is no solution to your dilemma; any form of daytime electrical heating is expensive.

Obviously that produced by storage heating is the cheapest, but as you are aware it has limitations.

The only lesson to take from this thread is that the £10 fan heater produces EXACTLY the same amount of heat, for the same running costs, as ANY other electrical heater.
  • brrritscoldlol
    Options
    That is massively disappointing, do you not find that you get a very different heat from a fan heater as apposed to a large radiator? I can see what you are saying, in that input of electricity = output of heat... but i feel there is more to it than that... Money taken out of the equation, are these good heaters?? If i could i would go with gas as i love the GCH luxury and the heat that they give out, storage heaters are in my opinion pish :/

What i think we need are plasma heaters!! and nuclear reactors in every home :)
  • Philaspden
    Options
    Does anyone know of any independent reviews of these radiators?
    My mother is considering them to replace storage heaters but some of the comments on here are a concern. I also understand that there was an article on them in the Telegraph recently but cant track it down
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Philaspden wrote: »
    My mother is considering them to replace storage heaters but some of the comments on here are a concern. I also understand that there was an article on them in the Telegraph recently but cant track it down

Welcome to the forum.

Do you think the posts from non-salesmen are not independent? We certainly have no vested interest and some of us are technically qualified to comment.

The only fact, which is not in dispute, we have stated is that these heaters give out no more heat, for the same running cost, than a £10 fan heater or £20 oil filled radiator.

Even the manufacturers will not deny that, although their websites try to imply they give out more heat.

If you doubt our expertise, and the law of physics, contact the Energy Saving Trust for their views, or WHICH if you are a member.

Value for money is subjective, but IMO most of these hyped up systems are vastly overpriced.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Philaspden wrote: »
    I would not trust anything that the Telegraph's heating expert Jeff Howell says. Jeff Howell recommends you keep the heating on 24 hours 7 days a week and on in all rooms to save money "in the long run". Load of tosh.... I've heated one room in my house whenever required for years and I can tell you it is loads cheaper than when I had GCH and heated the whole house 24/7. I have no major condensation issues, no mould nothing.... I use ventilation to keep these issues to a minimum. Open windows, keep all vents open, use the extractor fan when cooking and bathing. My kitchen is currently 7°C. My lounge is currently 18°C.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertyadvice/jeffhowell/8214378/Home-improvements-how-to-heat-the-house-this-winter.html

If you want an independent review...I'll give you one. They are great heaters. They have a thermostat, they have a timer. They do everything that I would expect from a heater. Cost £LOTS...

It's exactly the same review I would give for either my "freecycle" mini oil filled radiator or my "£10-£20" convector heaters except for the price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure