economy radiator company

Options

Comments

• Just a couple of further thoughts..

First of all with regards to heating my small water tank for washing up and the bath, is economy 7 still worth having?

And secondly, the only part of the blog which slightly lost me- and bear in mind i was definitely someone who favoured the arts rather than the sciences in school and school was a rather long time ago- was the bit about an iron heating a room exactly the same as a radiator- surely that is not right? If someone could explain that point in very simple language I would really appreciate it!!

Many thanks,

Ali
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a couple of further thoughts..

First of all with regards to heating my small water tank for washing up and the bath, is economy 7 still worth having?

And secondly, the only part of the blog which slightly lost me- and bear in mind i was definitely someone who favoured the arts rather than the sciences in school and school was a rather long time ago- was the bit about an iron heating a room exactly the same as a radiator- surely that is not right? If someone could explain that point in very simple language I would really appreciate it!!

Many thanks,

Ali
    I'd keep the E7 meter and use the heating sparingly. I use electric heating mostly on demand using peak rates but the water heating throughout the year and the heat used in the early hours of the morning before E7 finishes is enough so I still save money compared to a standard tariff....not much though.

An iron is a heater. It heats a plate which you then apply that heat to the clothes you are ironing. Those clothes then transfer the heat into the room you are in, so heating the room. A 1600W iron will heat a room not exactly the best use for an iron but it will work. The heat transfer won't be 1600W as the thermostat in the iron will switch it off an on but whatever energy it uses will be exactly the same as a radiator in the room.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

Many thanks,

Ali

As said above about the iron.

If that Iron used, say 1kWh(1 unit) of electricity(costing around 10p) it would produce exactly the same amount of heat/warmth as an electric radiator or any other electrical device that used 1kWh.

Your laptop computer might use, say, 40 watts. Have 25 of them in a room and you will get the same warmth as a 1kW heater.

Nobody is suggesting that an Iron, computer, hair dryer, curling tongs would be practical as a heater, but they would work.

With regard to Economy 7. You pay a premium for the electricity you use 17 hours a day for the advantage of getting 7 hours cheap electricity at night.

It is highly unlikely with 'normal'(i.e. not storage) heating that economy 7 would be suitable.

P.S.

The only thing you need to know from Physics is that you cannot destroy energy.
  • Many thanks for your input Happy MJ- much appreciated
  • mick45672
    Options
    well i had these installed last november and can say they worked extremely well house stayed warm
    BUT my bill for last quater (jan - march) was £1200 in a 2 bed house
    my advice STAY AWAY
    unless you can afford to burn money
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mick45672 wrote: »
    well i had these installed last november and can say they worked extremely well house stayed warm
    BUT my bill for last quater (jan - march) was £1200 in a 2 bed house
    my advice STAY AWAY
    unless you can afford to burn money
    Did you change tariffs? The USP is that they "can" be cheaper but so many caveats apply to the statement that it is almost impossible to meet. They are much cheaper than that to run so I am only assuming you were on the wrong tariff. If you had E7 storage heating before then you MUST switch to a standard tariff where all units are 10p per unit or less. There is no way that a 2 bedroom house would then consume 12,000kWh over 3 months unless the windows were open and you had no insulation whatsoever. Do you have insulation?

How many kWh did your property use over the 3 months? At what unit rate are you charged?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • llywelyn111
    llywelyn111 Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2012 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Loads of firms are getting in on this [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM].

Electrical heaters marketed by implying that they 'only cost xp per hour to run' and are somehow cheaper to run - they ain't.

A £20 oil filled radiator or fan heater gives out exactly the same amount of heat for the same running cost as any other electrical heater.

except for air source heat pumps :p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    except for air source heat pumps :p

That caveat is given from time to time; also for ground source heat pumps.

However if you wish to be pedantic, a heat pump is not strictly an 'electrical heater'(which is the subject of this thread). It is an appliance that transfers heat from outside the property, to inside the property.

We also don't refer to solar panels, hydro-electric, wind turbines as electrical heaters.:p
  • llywelyn111
    llywelyn111 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    That caveat is given from time to time; also for ground source heat pumps.

However if you wish to be pedantic, a heat pump is not strictly an 'electrical heater'(which is the subject of this thread). It is an appliance that transfers heat from outside the property, to inside the property.

We also don't refer to solar panels, hydro-electric, wind turbines as electrical heaters.:p

But my wind turbine's dump load heats under my stairs nicely :D
  • Hard_Rain
    Options
    New to this ... I wonder did "CameDownInTheLastShower" actually get heaters from The Economy Heating Company? Their literature and brochures look good and the heaters look modern.
    My mum, 80, living on a pension needs heating for winter. The flat she has just moved to has underfloor heatin (!) from the 70s which doesn't function well and all other flat dwellers say it is expensive so they don't use it. Gas CH would be ideal but installation is nearly £3k. Economy Heating Co deal would be £1300 for 4 radiators and they say would be £40 a month. Our electrician has offered us his storage radiators (which he is removing from his house in September) for just transport and installation ie around £1000. He says they are "slimline" but they are clunky and 17cm deep rather than the Economy Radiators 7cm deep.

Currently mum is on standard electricity tariff through British Gas (a hangover from her old house). If we go the Economy Heating Company route they recommend standard tariff and if we go with our electrician's storage heaters (which he says are solid and will last another 20 years!) then she needs Economy 7 tariff or similar from another provider.

Has anyone successfully used heaters from Economy Heating Co? I phoned them to ask if I could speak to any of their previous customers and they quote Data Protection regs which, I suppose, is fair enough ...

Advice please?

Rain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family