Where to get a VISA Electron card?

Options

Comments

• NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    I just called up the Co-op Bank asking if I could get a Visa Electron account, I am already a customer of the bank, and they said no, they are discontinuing the service and people who already have electron cards will have them replaced with Debit cards :(

This seems to be a massive own goal by Co-Op as I and loads of customers with Cashminder accounts only opened them in the first place for the Visa Electron card. Now we are likely to close our accounts and all the costs involved in setting up new accounts and issuing us with cards and paying in books will be wasted.

I presume that Visa is trying to kill off the Electron card completely and that Ryanair knew this when they decided to make it the only card that they would not charge card payment fees on. Its obviously a complete lie by Ryanair that they were working with Visa to try to build up use of the Visa Electron card.:mad:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't think they'd care.If you've only setup a (non-profitmaking) basic account to use a few times a year for flights, you are probably costing them money.
    This seems to be a massive own goal by Co-Op as I and loads of customers with Cashminder accounts only opened them in the first place for the Visa Electron card. Now we are likely to close our accounts and all the costs involved in setting up new accounts and issuing us with cards and paying in books will be wasted.

I presume that Visa is trying to kill off the Electron card completely and that Ryanair knew this when they decided to make it the only card that they would not charge card payment fees on. Its obviously a complete lie by Ryanair that they were working with Visa to try to build up use of the Visa Electron card.:mad:
  • Wilmot1428
    Wilmot1428 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    you can buy pre-paid visa electron card with the post office
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    Wilmot1428 wrote: »
    you can buy pre-paid visa electron card with the post office

But it is inconvenient and costs extra money.

Also in view of recent events it looks like it will only be a matter of time before those are also replaced by Visa Debit cards.:mad:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use Entropay for instant sign up its a virtual credit card, have your passport ready and you can transfer money to your account for 50p per £10. http://www.entropay.com/

£1 flights available for June to August with Ryan Air at the moment, booking until 11/6
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Edinburghlass,

Have you used this method ( Entropay ) to pay for Ryan Air tickets?
  • p_larkin99
    p_larkin99 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    I have used entropay on several occasions and it works fine with ryanair as Edinburghlass suggests.

Just a shame i get stung on the tax flying in and out of Ireland (tenner grrr) but yeah entropay works nicely. Really good way to avoid the credit card charges and its only 2% charge to put money into your entropay account from your bank account.

Here is an article I found useful on helping me set up the account and how to actually use it when on the ryanair site

http://bargainsireland.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/avoid-the-credit-card-charge-when-booking-with-ryanair/

HTH and ya book somewhere nice :D
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jonsayce wrote: »
    Hi Edinburghlass,

Have you used this method ( Entropay ) to pay for Ryan Air tickets?

Yes I have a couple of times. Have your passport to hand when signing up and a debit card to transfer some money into it. You create a username and password and the charge for transferring £10 is 50p. As per the link above you enter Entropay User instead of your name and then the number of the card, expiry date and CVV number as usual. Be aware that Ryan Air will change the charge from £s to Euros so there is a small charge to do that. Just checking my statement, my last flights were £5 each but the charge shows as £10.87 so make sure you transfer a little more than your flight charges.
  • beer_tins
    beer_tins Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So with co-op withdrawing their electron cards, where can you still get one? Do Abbey still do one?
    Running Club targets 2010
    5KM - 21:00 21:55 (59.19%)
    10KM - 44:00 --:-- (0%)
    Half-Marathon - 1:45:00 HIT! 1:43:08 (57.84%)
    Marathon - 3:45:00 --:-- (0%)
  • seeya23
    seeya23 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    beer_tins wrote: »
    So with co-op withdrawing their electron cards, where can you still get one? Do Abbey still do one?

abbey still do for now you can apply online for acc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport