Where to get a VISA Electron card?

Options

Comments

• NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    noh wrote: »
    The Faster Payments Service runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
    http://www.apacs.org.uk/payments_industry/documents/HowtousetheFasterPaymentsservice.pdf
    http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/faster_payments_service/faster_payments_faq.asp
    Not had any problems moving money from my Natweat account via FP at anytime of the day or night.

Ok that's very useful to know. I thought this call centre woman didn't know what she was talking about (do they ever know what they are talking about - to which is the answer is only rarely) after telling me that cash credited at a Post Office after 4.30pm wouldn't get there till next working day. But then I paid in at 4.33pm and there was no problem - the money was on the account straight away.

One might often find a cheap Ryanair flight at night or at the weekend so being able to get the money on the account as required seems rather crucial. Of course at the current rates of interest perhaps having a few quid sitting idle in the Co-Op Cashminder account is neither really here or or there. Having said that if paying those extra multiples of £10 to Ryanair didn't stick in the craw we wouldn't have set up Visa Electron supporting accounts in the first place..............;)
  • warning_uk
    warning_uk Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    WaltD wrote: »
    You were very lucky that Smile allowed you to have both cards.

Thanks for the Smile tip - I've got a couple of dormant current accounts with Smile (as well as some active ones) and I've just called and cancelled the debit card on one of my accounts, replaced with an Electron Card. Wish I'd thought of it last week, as I've just burned another 40quid on flights for the family...

So yeah, Smile are great. Switch to them straight away, if you know what's good for you :)

Dave
    (does not work for Smile)
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • hermanthegerman
    Options
    histman wrote: »
    The card owner must be at the same address as the lead passenger as far as I can remember when filling in the Ryanair online form.
    You can book a flight for anyone using credit/debit cards and the lead passenger doesnt have to be the card holder:D
  • hermanthegerman
    Options
    spoke to the post office and they do an electron gift card that you top up. They charge 1.5% commission on sterling but nothing on the euro - will ryanair accept euro and will they give a bad rate of exchange if they convert it?
  • lukelad97
    Options
    I got mine from Halifax. Brilliant Service. But low interest rates. About 1.86% interest.
    But still, fantastic.:T:rotfl::T:rotfl::A:A:A
  • Lagop5
    Options
    Just finagled Mr Ryanair out of £40 of card charges after booking 2 sets of flights by using the services of my local Post Office. They have started selling travel money cards which are VISA Electron! There is a £3 commission fee for sterling and takes 24 hours to activate but it works! The minimum load is £50 but saved me w small fortune!

:money:

Think I may take the missus out for dinner with my savings..... or maybe I should just pay off some of my credit card!!!!
    :T :T :T
  • brooklyn78
    Options
    I just called Barclays to check - if you're already a Barclays customer, all you have to do is walk in to a branch and ask for your connect card to be changed to an electron card by filling in a form. They should then send it out to you by post.
  • issue151
    Options
    Barclays do not issue Electron cards anymore. The bank have advised me that customers with existing electron cards will be changed upon expiry.
  • flyingscotno1
    flyingscotno1 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I opened by new abbey account, the woman gave me the Visa Debit card, and an electron account specifically for paying for Ryanair flights and others with debit charges. Good call for me, good service- although probably helped with the bonus!
  • olaf
    olaf Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I just spoke to Alliance & Leicester (Santander) and they also stopped their Visa Electron Card :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure