Where to get a VISA Electron card?

Options

Comments

456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WaltD wrote: »
    I already have a Halifax branch-based current account, so I am not sure if they will allow me to have an Easycash account as well!

WaltD
    I have a Halifax student account and easycash account
  • JoeBloggs001
    Options
    Ryanair are thinking about charging a £1 to use the toilet's on board during

flights. Really not joking here.
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Options

Really? Why wasn't this mentioned on MSE at all?

And err, it's not related to Visa Electron cards in the Budgeting and Bank Accounts forum, either.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

That was a PR stunt. There was something about it on the Ryanair site but its hard to find the content in the sea of adverts so here is the story about it being a spoof: http://www.bitterwallet.com/ryanairs-oleary-admits-spend-a-penny-story-was-a-stunt/8716
  • kab7173
    Options
    You can open a Halifax Easycash account ....Deposit account pays no interest but does issue you with a Visa Electron card ....just top up theaccount after each use :T
  • Always_Harassed
    Options
    Have opened a Halifax account and received the logon etc but there is no mention of a Visa Electron Card. Looks like an online only account. Can anyone that has opened one offer some advice to tell me if it will follow now that I have completed registration or if I need to contact them to request a card.

Thanks.
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I assume you opened an easycash account - the card and pin should arrive soon
  • WaltD
    WaltD Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    456789 wrote: »
    I assume you opened an easycash account - the card and pin should arrive soon

I opened my Easycash account on-line and the Visa Electron card arrived within 5 days. A "welcome letter" arrived the day after the card, but I am still waiting for my PIN.

The account is active, because I paid £100 into it by electronic transfer and it arrived in the account the same day.

I haven't tried making an on-line purchase yet.

WaltD
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    I just bought my first Ryanir flight with my Co-Op Cashminder Visa Electron card on Thursday evening. As this was an August flight to the Med and hold luggage was also needed it cost nearly 90 quid so I had to go down to my local village Post Office and add £30 in cash to the £60 I had previously paid in as cheques a few weeks ago.

I was concerned that as I got to the Post Office at 4.32pm (intending to get there by 4.30pm when Co-Op had claimed there was a clearing deadline cut off for cash inpayment) that it might be after bank clearing to Co-Op had closed for the day, even though cash is meant to be credited live in real time normally at Post Office branches. Anyhow I got a receipt that showed the £30 as credited and now available as part of my cleared balance and if I phoned Co-Op and went through the automated account information procedure again I was told the balance was £90. So I then booked my Ryanair flight with no problems.

However thinking on this further I spoke to Co-Op who told me they do now utilise the new FastPay system for inbound payments and NatWest supports it for all outgoing payments too. So this means I should be able to make a transfer using my NatWest online banking during the weekday daytime and have it arrive almost instantly in my Cashminder account to book Ryanair flights. However for reasons that I find bizarre and utterly baffling FastPay does not yet operate outside 9am to 5.30pm weekdays (including not operational on Bank Holidays). I am baffled as to why computers should need to sleep or go home at 5.30pm each day or have the weekend off.;):rolleyes:

But no doubt this is the final last ditch effort of the big clearers to hang on to antiquated practices and will I hope finally be swept away in due course.:mad:
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Faster Payments Service runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
    http://www.apacs.org.uk/payments_industry/documents/HowtousetheFasterPaymentsservice.pdf
    http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/faster_payments_service/faster_payments_faq.asp
    Not had any problems moving money from my Natweat account via FP at anytime of the day or night.

Nigel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport