New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

HM Lollies

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
143 replies 13K views

Replies

• missyg_3missyg_3 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I think at 3p it's got to be worth a shot! Let us know how it goes!
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, any good tips for getting the lollies out of the moulds? I've found the juice type ones to be easier than the milky ones so far... I fill a small tupperware container with warm water and leave the mould dunked in it for a short while, but it's not ideal so tips appreciated :)
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Oh...I thought it was cold water to help release things...isn't it warm water for stuff like jellies?

Haven't been anywhere that sells the moulds yet, but have invested heavily in a MrT version of said 3p whip:D One of the offspring also picked up skimmed instead of full-fat milk the other day so I thought I'd use that up in the lollies too.

I forgot meself tho & started supping at the milk & it was incedibly tasty:p It's the MrT 'Local Choice' variety of fresh milk--currently 2p cheaper than the bog standard 2 pinters--so hopefully the lollies should be fine.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks BigMumma - could be where I'm going wrong then! I'll try cold water next time :D

I use semi skimmed but that's a good idea to use skimmed for a lower calorie lolly! I bet it won't taste much different at all :)

Edited to add: Thanks again - cold water worked a treat! :)
  • freyasmumfreyasmum Forumite
    20.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter adores frozen yogurt.

My mum had been buying frubes (or whatever they're called) to give her, but they are rather expensive so I bought some moulds and some tesco value yogurts. Much cheaper and dd enjoys them all the same.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Got butterscotch flavour on the go at the moment now, will see what that's like - bet it's not as good as school dinner butterscotch tart... yes, I know I'm showing my age there! ;)
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Butterscotch gets the thumbs up from me ;)

Strawberry Nesquik lollies thumbs down from 9 year old boy, though he ate 3 before finally deciding :rotfl:
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    My son has now asked for 'plain milk' lollies - I can't imagine these would be very nice :confused: anyone tried it?

I've picked up a packet of that 3p whip too - got to be worth a go!
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Might get round to trying my 3p whip lollies this week-end---there's not been the room in the freezer:o

As to plain milk lollies MissyG, I guess that would be the vanilla whip.....

All things going well, I'm planning on having a bash at nanananananana ones. What do you think on mixing mashed banana into banana whip; or just whacking mashed nana into moulds; or just nana whip?:rolleyes: ....oooh, making a tub of mashed nana & whip, to be served with cream:drool:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• jackk_2jackk_2 Forumite
    288 posts
    I got 8 whoopsied organic yogurts for 90p, added the yogurt, and then equal amount of whoopsied skimmed milk to a jug, then put into lolly molds. The kids love em and not an e number in sight.

x