PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,195 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 26 November 2014 at 12:43AM
    Options
    Well done, dd's dd!

Well, what a nasty day. Sons have been revolting. Smaller son decided to get up an hour early because he had cookery today. I said I was not going to weigh the ingredients out until 7am so he decided to get me out of bed by hitting me with a chair. (An ikea folding chair, not an arm chair, but still). Then I got the ingredients and the instructions said "all dried ingredients can go in one container" so I did this which induced a screaming fit, son trying to pick porridge oats out of flour then nearly binning it. :-/

Bigger son has been hideous since the 2 after school detentions led to his not being able to go role playing. He has also refused to do anything for 3 weeks (this includes shutting doors, turning lights on, flicking the kettle on when he is standing right next to it etc). He is barely speaking apart from the occasional monologue about bike gears. On Friday he has an INSET day. These are the only days when I have only one son (so twice a year I get an opportunity to just be with one son, rather than both). So I asked today what he wanted to do and I got what I can only describe as a look of death and he said he had already told his father he wants to go there as I am too boring and we never do anything. Obviously no homework has been done and there are various other tensions at school such as refusing to wear trainers for PE (?) His greeting to me at the moment is "GO AWAY" which I have just had saying goodnight to him. The only sentence he has for youngest son is "freak of nature", which is nice...

Anyway, pleasures for today:

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) More family tree work. Will now be glad when this second one is finished.

3) Have been ill on and off for 2 weeks so on antibiotics now. They are having no effect at all, which is unusual.

4) Went for a walk in the forest on the way home from the doctors. My phone said 1 degree, snow but it was cold and bleak with rain instead.

5) Christmas cards came from National Autistic Society.

6) Made a tasty tea of squash, carrots, sausages etc with a crumble topping. If I'd had a handful of cranberries to chuck in, it would have been perfect!

7) Enjoyed Holby City tonight.
  • Purple_kitten
    Options
    :eek:My god Firth, you are such a strong woman, I don't like being woken up by an alarm let alone a "chair" I don't know how you are managing but you are.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 November 2014 at 1:03AM
    Options
    & hope you get your puter fixed soon
    DD congratulations to your DD :j
    Frith what an amazing coincidence your parents' families both living in the same area, the same street even!
    eta (((Frith)))

1. The bedroom carpet dried well so I re-did the landing, that too looks lovely now but oh! the colour of the water :o. Next, the sitting room carpet, have just moved as much furniture as possible and will do the first half tomorrow
    2. Went shopping with DD today, got some super bargain presents for the ladies/girls but no idea what to get the men. I want to get something other than sox etc., why are they so difficult to buy for?
    3. I'd bought a sweater on Sunday but when I tried it on it was too short, even for five feet nothing me. Took it back and saw another one I liked, it's plenty long enough and just the right colours to match some of my trousers/skirts. It was in the boys department ;)
    4. DD and I had lunch in the m-way services and as we sat down several Met police bikers came in. One man said, in a clear voice' Looks like they've lost their way, should we tell them they're 40 miles from London' which made quite a few people smile including the policemen. A silly moment, funnier than it sounds here.
    5. Spent the evening wrapping presents, all the ones I've bought to date wrapped, just got my favourite bit to do now, decorating them.

Sweet dreams :)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Oh b, Frith, I am so sorry.

I had the most wonderful morning in the most unexpected way. Normally I do work first thing in the morning and go shopping from midday onwards.

Today I had a routine meds review at the docs for 8.30. I thought it would perhaps take me two hours to get that done, get all I needed from the shops in town and get home.

I saw no fewer than seven friends and acquaintances on my way round town and had lengthy chats with all.
    I got in at 11.45. It was great, so much news and friendly chatter.

Some time ago someone moaned about my town in the local paper.
    I pointed out in a letter of response that I have lived in places where nobody spoke to me, ever, but here I had to factor in an extra 15 minutes for each shopping trip to allow for chatting to people.
    Well, correction, an hour and fifteen minutes if that trip is on a Tuesday morning... :D

I love my town.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 November 2014 at 12:48PM
    Options
    mcculloch did you hear about the old man sitting at the side of the road? A car containing a family pulled up and the father asked the old man what it was like in this town as they were thinking of moving there. The old man replied 'Well, what is it like where you are now?' The father replied that it was a lovely town, green spaces, plenty to do for the children and friendly neighbours, but were just making enquiries in case they decided to move to a bigger house as the children grew. The old man replied that it was just the same here, friendly and always something happening for all ages. The father thanked him and drove on.
    A few days later a family in a car stopped by the old man and asked when this town was like as they wanted to move. He asked what it was like where they lived now and they told him all that was wrong with their town, every one of the family had complaints to make. The old man thought for a moment and said,'Well, you know, it's just like that here, you'll find lots wrong with it'. The family turned around and without thanking him drove away.

Life is just what you make of it...

I love my town too :)
  • Come and have a look at the boat

My town is bigger than yours, see! Next we'll see that pigs do fly, charity cards. ODD Jobs. Paint everywhere. Last suppers.

5 Hosses came in last night, played like donkeys all evening, and then suddenly it was there. Man City and Diver, on a double. Loaded. BoPsie not happy as her carthorses fell again! Note, there are other ways to lose your money. BoP used to have an endowment mortgage, and that was a waste if ever I saw one.

4 While waiting for donkey last eve, BoPsie wanted a game of Scrabble. As you all know, she is only one win away from the chance of being within one win of two on the pounce. So last night, BoPsie announced that she had taken the last tiles from the bag. Good, as BoP laid out a seven letterer on the Treble Word REGALES to flourish on. Championi BoP again. Well entertained was BoPsie!

3 For brunch we had chopped, toe nailed style, cheese and onion toasties with topped tomato. Washed down with tea of plenty. As I cleansed the oven of BoP t'ther day, you could see the cheese melt and smooth over nicely. Other foods are available on request.

2 Nite we shall be watching the Arsenal. That will be slippers on, socks off. sofa slacks un hipped. Not a sight you'd stop at, but, the fire will be lit. The stool of foot will be de Raffled and treats will be forthcoming. Wobbleades will be served.

1 The road to the obscurity is filled with pot holes!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Chickenopolis - ah the delights of flexi. I like long days that transmute into paid time off. A "well stocked office biscuit tin", eh? Powerful office politics tool, that. Hauled with you to fire practice, you can negotiate all sorts of useful favours... Ink from Brighton. Oh chicken. Is terrier recovering nerve with you? Love hound's use of doormat! "Little & often" washing. *Sounds* downright reasonable! Aw, white dinner!
    villagelife - hurrah for work instead of office politics - may that continue! Waitrose coffee - thank you for reminding me! Always good to enjoy a catch up chat. "Very wet" so "sorted out all my kitchen cupboards". Shining example set there!
    VickyA - £10 more than you'd thought? Splendid! Dubai, here we come? Cards Already? Which Paddingtons did you get to? May your equilibrium recover.
    DundeeDoll - well done running & good luck DD1 with interview! Oooh, advent crackers! Installed "like central heating" - ah well, here's hoping curate & layreader spread warmth! Cooked breakfast has to be a good start. Parents are very tricky to shop for. Happily m'mother *loves* candles, so we cheat. You've met ABC? What did you reckon to him? Ooh, custom Converse! DD1 employed!
    Frith - eep food poisoning - hoping you are fully recovered & that Friday happened smoothly. Rightly done to celebrate all parents, & also to mop tears. Genealogy least painful to the young. 20 days for a tree? They take generations to grow! Hurrah Friday passed happily - well done! Do love the sound of Sinter Klass chez Frith! Bother seriously loud party - took so much fun out of it. You escaped IKEA without becoming heavily laden? <Awe!> Brilliant family tree locating! So sorry to hear eldest is being thoroughly teenage - can only offer the consolation that This Too Will Pass but that is no comfort in the short term as he empties reservoirs of goodwill. Alarm clock with chair - some days parenting is just exhausting.
    Broomstick - clouds are *fun* to observe. Sorting papers by the fire implies and-the-bulk-easily-disposed-of... How go the cupboards for Christmas & the associated weather? Offspring in onesies make me smile. I have flashbacks to their rompersuits. Homemade cakes for lending tools - I like that business model!
    sparrer - thank you - Asian emporium & haberdashery shop sound wonderful hunting grounds for remarkable presents! Delighted your bloodwork has calmed down & oh I hear you on were-they-family-planning?! Still, sale delights await. As "lazy saturdays" go, that was a thoroughly productive, virtuous & industrious day. Please stop! Treat yourself to that sweater. Some temptation is to be given in to. Wash water from carpets is always gruesome. Great to hear some coppers' humour - they're human too but hide it well. Lovely tale at the side of the road!
    mcculloch - good to hear plans for trolley & phew, safe arrival of friend's grandchild. Well done realising your old village is still with you. Hurrah on lost purse returned & phone battery rightly rehomed. How wonderful to live in such a cheerful, friendly, chatty place!
    mhagster - lovely to 'eavesdrop' on OP18... Pumpkin spice sounds delicious. Fleets of cupcakes? Happy 18th! Olive oil good for the coat... Citronella *everywhere*? Eek! Handwarmers will be *much* appreciated.
    supersaver - delighted about new job. Stop pinching, start planning?!
    CCP - have manager's words had Any effect on colleague's language? Week off! Toffee vodka? <intrigued>
    BoP - invigorated. There's a notion... Love that cartoon! Scrabble? A film about Golf? <bemused> Nuts. In shell, mixed, or just several trees carefully chosen?! Oven lights sorted so birds can land safely - splendid. Missed vocation in tech support. De-Raffling the footstool? Where do I buy a ticket?!
    greywitch - Yike axeheads! Still, if DH bans, *he* can chop... Hoping hot lemon & honey have either fended off lurgy or left you resigned to the inevitable.
    Purple kitten - sorry your office has a "person at work" - hope job of dreams interview went well & you can leave that PITA behind! Happy Birthday! Home bargains, BM, Costco - you do get more bang for your buck with them. Louvered doors, just more surface to wash. Now done? Black garlic, eh? We've an elephant garlic to plant in spring. I'm hoping it tastes of garlic & not elephant... Announced you're leaving? Good - hope the next step is happier!
    Skint yet Again - tea & kit kat? Do they dunk?! Line dried bedding <sigh of envy>
    Kittikins - observed lesson now past (& doubtless passed) with cherubim trailing incense & netball kit?! (Oh yes, Crabtree & E 40% off - see this week's MSEmail?!)
    ampersand - post in Word first & see if autosave protects some of your thinking? (Having recovered all of this using just that, argh.)
    Tealady - well done with Brownies & rainbows & recovering hearing! Sorry to hear even grownup siblings can stress parents. Jasmine tea sounds wonderful & oh hurrah DD's not broken wrist - so *many* little bones - hurrah our NHS!
    VJsmum - accentuate the positive - MIL is still alive & off your patch for the time being. (Sis has MD & is a bit of a gyroscope.) Steam trains are good for the soul.

OS Pleasures recently
    Apparently we live in "the Big House". This has the American slang speaking family members whimpering with laughter.

The bloke who runs the carpark I use has a lovely expression as he shreds bread & feeds the birds. I'm guessing they're what helps with early starts & twithering drivers.

Amusing myself by wondering what various buildings currently encased in scaffolding & safety net would look like creatively lit...

Exchanging grins with a chap with a spectacular green quiff. In better weather I can see insects thinking they're onto a winner.

Colleague looking unshaven until I realise he is preparing to be Santa. Beaming anticipatory grin, as first 'recipient' will be his grandson!

Shot with a semi-automatic banana whilst unexpectedly at the breakfast table... There are aspects of motherhood that are really not discussed with sufficient depth.

"Show me the stick with the foot on it!" - my offspring make *unexpected* demands at times. However, said stick had been made to model footprints in mud & was therefore duly admired.

Eek! Son has twigged the pod touch has all the fun of my iPhone without a phone fuss, & second son seems to intend to use brother one 'as a test'... [Thank *gods* for budgets.]

The air is cold & crisp as if there ought to be a bonfire somewhere.

Peeking inside a small Outside Broadcast van & bemused at all the screens & racks of tiny switches & sliders. Only the bloke running it gives an idea of scale - it wraps around him like a greatcoat.

There's a generator running - sounds like a contented great cat.

Son's compression sleeve garments (one mostly black, one mostly red) have now been dubbed 'venom' & 'spidey'. Which will make certain family queries even odder to eavesdrop on...

Proposed acquisition of iPod touch technology sees me trying to multitask queries about apps! The whole Black Friday thing is triggering savvy if tactless queries even as I stumble through the door.

Kind of satisfying massaging son. The skin graft is now stable & so massage has upped pressure to discourage lumps of scar forming. He grumbles a bit when I lean hard but even he doesn't want to feel like lumpy semolina.

Big hugs to all who need them, strength courage patience and love for all feeling short & remember, in another month we'll be pondering the New Year.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DforV - how wise you are, of course you are right. i just want her to be happier really - admittedly some of that is for our sake. your family sound completely barking - but in a good way (semi automatic banana, stick with foot on it etc). My Auntie ran a pub and they had a stick with a foot on it - booted up, stick had beer tops nailed to it and was duly bashed with a separate stick as a percussion instrument.

BoP - the castle programme last week told of why potholes were called potholes. But i'm boogered if I can remember now
    Sparrer / McCulloch - whilst I am not that enamoured of my town, i love where it is and what there is to do here. There are far prettier towns but mine is very convenient.
    Frith - Hugs is all
    Chicken - Kids are mucky creatures, but at least they don't roll in fox poo. Though J did once venture into a cow's field to retrieve a ball (not a bull :D) in his socks......
    Greywitch - hope the lurgy didn't materialise
    Tealady - likewise I hope DD is ok
    DD - well done to DD
    PK - saw a recipe for toffee vodka on here somewhere. I think it merely involved vodka and a packet of werthers bashed up
    Vicky - thanks for the reminder, i should put a parcel together for the foodbank. i was going to do the streetbank give a thing away every day of advent, but I will never be organised enough. So a parcel for the foodbank will suffice. I am trying to find a rucksack project for our town too. DD's town has one so may get her to do it (with my money ;))

Pleasures for last coupladays

1. Had hair done, no more silver for a while
    2. Felt poorly yesterday, sinuses playing up, but OH took over
    3. FOund a basket full of laundry in DS room that I hadn't noticed so have done 4 loads of washing today. Thank goodness for rotaire and airing cupboard
    4. Made some banana, avocado and chocolate "ice cream" amazingly palatable
    5. Sausages, beans and mash for tea - winter comfort
    6. caught up with I'm a celebrity. Pile of tosh but very watchable
    7 Walking back from hairdressers in foggy autumny murk. i hate this time of year but it was very atmospheric
    8. Working through my "to do" list
    9. cleaned kitchen and bathrooms listening to various bits I needed to catch up on "archers" (are they really going? oooh nooo), ISIHAC, etc
    10. Hairdresser saying lovely things about DD after she got her haircut at the weekend "ooh she is a different girl, that babby"

Have a lovely evening all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Chickenopolis
    Options
    Good evening all !

PK- well done you- exciting times ! You sound fired up for new challenge ..:T

Frith ((hugs)) you had a rough time just over a year ago didn't you ? with not much luck with antibiotics if my memory serves me correctly.
    Get well now !

DfV - lovely post x You are right :eek: in one months time we will be bloated but hopefully happy !

VJsmum- get well now too !

5 for today

1. Saw my online pay slip - 'tis a tad reduced now but I'm too happy to give a monkeys :)

2.Moving office to our previous office which we left one floor down a year ago ( some bureaucrat didn't do the maths) So been packing up as the others move on Friday and I will be finished by midday tomorrow :)

3. Nearly finished two reports I am working on

4. The hound pinched a fabric hen that was in my bag that I had bought home due to the office move .Cheeky boy- not stinky now as OH bathed him last night.

5.A chow mien for tea made with quo*n fillets that I griddled and sliced up. Quite nice too

Have a good evening all!
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone :hello:

DundeeDoll - congratulations to your DD!

DigForVictory - semi-automatic banana eh? A much misunderstood weapon... :D And you can eat it when you realise it's food. ;)

VJsmum - glad I'm good for something! :D Really must donate again the next time I pop in.

My pleasures for today:

1) Cooked a large vat of vegetable pasta sauce. Half eaten tonight, the other half in the freezer.

2) Asked to be a mentor for another teaching student as I've been so good this time! Sadly I've had to turn that particular uni down as I'm having a student from ANOTHER local uni! Good to be wanted... :)

3) Bought a gorgeous book set from Am*zon through their Black Friday deals. I'll be able to give it to my friend's little girls this weekend when I see them.

4) Swimming lesson plans sorted for tomorrow's assessment/course! Eeek. I may well soon be a qualified swim instructor (Level 2), as well as a qualified life guard. Yup, just imagine Pamela Anderson!

5) Time for bed. Night all!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure