PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 6 June 2012 at 10:05PM
    Options
    Chicken, that sounds just like the RP, one of my friends works at Brighton and Plumpton racecourse and has a man's name (it wasn't a man's name that was used much when she was given it.)

The sexist rubbish she has to deal with as the result of endless confusion on this...
    She has left several racing forums when she made the mistake of using her real name and was blasted with homophobic comments for having a drool over John Francome, for example. (I think it was JF. Seems the safest bet. I drool too.)

Collected enjoyments:-

Most of the Jubilee festivities, apart from some past-it entertainers. Not Sir Tom though, a soul steeped in music. Long may he run. He's 72 tomorrow. Whew.

A phone call from GD, 11 today. She loved her presents - they are on holiday at the moment, not too far from home but far enough to be a proper break.
    The best moment was when I was told that the mug I had bought her with a picture of spaniel puppies on it was the same pic that she had as a screen saver on the family laptop. Such a small present, but it brought such pleasure.

A bargain priced break booked to look forward to.

Looking over a fairly well-stocked freezer with plenty in to make good budget meals - just as well as there is a heavy bill looming for the windows...

I'll have a pleasure to look forward to tomorrow - hopefully a 30ft cable will arrive to enable me to plug in a corded phone and the pc router. Today was a little bit of a disaster on this front - I bought the phone as I realised that if we had a power cut and my mobile wasn't charged, I wouldn't be able to use a phone with my cordless ones relying on power.

It was a real bargain, I bought a ADSL filter to use it and the router from the same socket, but even that was low cost. I spent some time moving furniture to access the point and then realised the filter needed a modem style plug and not the phone style plug currently in use.
    I was able to check that the phone worked, which was useful, but whilst moving the furniture back knocked the 'folding screen' that displays my 100+ pairs of earrings behind my bedside table... argh. Near enough two hours taken up for nearly no gain, it took ages to match all the earrings up again and rehang them.

Hopefully I can get the new cord set up by myself tomorrow. The router is in my son's room as his pc doesn't like being wirelessly networked (or so he says) whilst mine is OK with it...
    So I've ended up buying a 10m cable rather than 5m. I just know that the 5m cable would turn out to be short by 6 inches without even measuring..
    Sorry to waffle on but nobody else would be the slightest bit interested.... ;)
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    More of a bowie bod myself. 40 years since ziggy :eek:
    Hugs to all
    1) mum gave me lift home at lunch time. It's only 5 mins but it was p!$$!ng is down. She drove me back as well :T
    2) got lift back from phd student in his white van he's converting into a campervan. He's moving out of his noisy stoodent flat into sed van tomorrow. Oh the folly (adventure?) of youth :rotfl:
    3) greeted by lish smell of butchers steak round to be told DS scoffed the lot:( he has hollow legs! But plenty of odd$ and $od$ casserole :j
    4) good evening in the pub. Friend was on call so a) he wasn't drinking b) he had his car c) he was able to give me lift home :beer:
    5) DD2 gone back to edinburgh. She'd left her light on. Switching if off found half a small bar of galaxy on her bedside table. Have tidied it up :whistle:
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all, or should I say morning all

DundeeDoll I'm a Stones girl, definitely more a rocker than a mod and had the studded leather to prove it. Agree Bowie was, and still is, a good 'un. Re your #5 - excellent tidying ;)
    VJsmum congrats on the homecoming, it must feel a bit strange for him but hope your Dad settles in well
    villagelife oh dear your poor DS, wishing him a speedy recovery

1. I set the alarm clock and beat the dog he he :p

2. Went to the gym for 3/4 hour, my friend who's a gym fanatic is right, it's very addictive

3. Called into the local furniture bank for my new membership card, while I was there I had a browse, like you do, and came away with two brand new bun tins to replace my battered 20 year old one, a multi-sized bottle/jar opener and a pretty trifle bowl for the princely sum of £1 :D.

4. Stopped at a bungalow in the middle of nowhere on the way home which sells produce from their garage, got a dozen large fr eggs and some rhubarb all freshly laid/picked. Could be omelette and crumble on the menu tomorrow

5. DNeighbour's 13 year-old DD saw me as I was going out this evening and said 'Oh you do look pretty!' She may have needed to go to Specsavers but I felt good all evening because of her. It's amazing what a comment/complement can do for you :)

Sweet dreams :) x
  • Chickenopolis
    Chickenopolis Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    Options
    She has left several racing forums when she made the mistake of using her real name and was blasted with homophobic comments for having a drool over John Francome, for example. (I think it was JF. Seems the safest bet. I drool too.)

Mcculloch - Bound to have been JF not McCririck (sp) !!! My OH (in younger days) has a look of JF and Martin Shaw (John Deed) ...( he rode in a few point to points and trained as a lawyer too ) Not keen on Tom Jones always reminds me of the sheep called Baa (Roger Hargreaves) I think its his hair and nose job - sorry x
    :AToo fat to be Felicity Kendal , but aim for a bit more of the good life :A
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I went to an interview today, and as it was with the MD he offered me the role actually in the interview:j:j, that’s never happened to me before, so today I can actually say I’ve had 2 firm job offers!! Talk about buses, the jobs couldn’t be more different... I think I have made a choice and I guess that means I think I have a job, just have to wait for all of the paperwork so it could all be in the air but in theory I am employed again. :T:T

So my one to 5.... I hopefully touch wood have a job again, I feel very very lucky.:D:beer:

I’m just making some tea, but really it’s just in the way of a chocolate brownie dessert acquired from the freezer 10p haul.:o
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congratulations P k
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    COngratulations PK.

Well, it seems yesterdays jubilation was premature. Brother rang to say dad isn't safe at home as he just isn't steady enough on his legs - not really on his legs at all - so has gone back into hospital in the hope that a care plan can be sorted. He said the hospital he was in until yesterday shouldnt' have let him out without a care package, so he's gone to the district hospital. I don't think he is any worse but he will be very down. Not brave enough to ring him yet. :(

GOnna strugle to find 5 after that and a day of marking

1. am actually getting through the marking. SHould be finished tonight with this batch and then just a project to mark
    2. Yummy cheese and onion toasty for lunch, which probably wasn't a good idea as
    3. Went to dentist - the pleasure being that the 3 of us require no treatment
    4. yummy spag bol for tea
    5. we have managed to borrow a trailer so we can fetch the table someone is giving us.

Ah well, it could be worse. He could have had a relapse but I don't believe that to be the case. So difficult when you are 200 miles away. I would have been there like a shot asking what they are going to do, brother just isn't up to that. May have to go down next week and be a battleaxe.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 June 2012 at 6:21PM
    Options
    Evening all.

Many congratulations, PK - what a nice situation to be in! :j

1) It was freezing in the office yesterday so today I wore a jumper to work, so I was about the only person not sitting shivering al day. :)

2) NSD. (Well, it will be until I go to the pub later, but that sort of counts. ;))

3) Received my rail vouchers for the disastrous train journey last month, for the full price of the ticket - as my employer paid in the first place, that's a double bonus. :)

4) A brief chat on the phone to my DM, who is sounding much happier now she's arranged for a gardener to look after her DM's garden, so she and my DF don't have to do it all themselves.

5) It's been pouring all day but has now stopped, so I might not get soaked walking to the pub. :)

Have a good evening, all.

VJsmum - I'm sorry to hear about your dad, and really hope you get something sorted asap.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 7 June 2012 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Well done PK! That's a real achievement in the current climate, you clearly shone at interview.
    Very, very quiet day. Had asked son for May's contribution to the housekeeping so that I could pedal down town before it rained and bank it. I asked him when he was half asleep and he clearly must have thought he dreamed it, as it hasn't materialised. The rain did though.
    Chicken, I would put the mortgage on it not being McCririck, hee, hee. I can't say I've ever found TJ physically very attractive either, but his voice is in another league... and for your husband looking like JF, ooh, lucky! I must investigate Baa the Sheep to find out if I agree with the TJ comments.

VJsmum
    - had spotted about your Dad in one of the other threads, but how sad and frustrating for you. A pity your brother hasn't a bit more oomph about him, but we can't change how we are and hopefully all will be well.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations PK - well done. :)
    VJsmum - Thinking of you, and sending (((hugs)))

Well, here's my pleasures for today:

1. An NSD, in spite of going into town :D
    2. The sun has just come out after a day of complete rain. Up until an hour ago it was constant, persistent rain. And now the sun is out briefly :D
    3. Mr Kitchenbunny picked up a pack of RTC hot cross buns the other day and they're still good. Had one for breakfast, warmed through in the microwave and spread with butter. Mmmm....
    4. My aloe vera plant doesn't seem to have died yet. It looked like it was on the way out as the leaves all around it are dry and crispy-like, but inside there is new growth.
    5. Have been painting the kitchen (a lovely shade of beige). It does feel good to get the kitchen spruced up a bit.
    and a 6th...
    Am noticing the bags under my eyes are starting to fade a teeny bit with a few days of getting up when my body tells me to, rather than when my alarm clock goes off!

Been a busy day with the decorating. Managed to get paint in my hair - joy! I'm fairly sure there's a beer in the fridge with my name on it tonight. Have a good one.

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport