Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Options

Comments

• desisaver
    Options
    Hi,

I got 2 pairs for £90 and due to my prescription got the 1.67 super thin and light lenses. I could have paid £40 per pair to upgrade to 1.74 but I did not wish to as I have a current rimless pair and am happy with the thickness. What I also bought was insurance for both pairs for £16, which includes accidental damage but not loss or theft. Having read through the policy it says Asda will replace your glasses upto the value of the purchase price. Now say in a 9 month's time I break a pair (their promotion is over by now) and walk back in,will they only give me £45 which under 'normal' pricing will buy me glasses with super THICK lenses? I need to clarify this when I go back in to pick my glasses up. If it is like-for-like replacement then it is worth it for £16 as with a little one and prying hands, I have a collection of broken pairs :) Anyway else bought this insurance as well? Apologies if I am straying away from the main discussion.
  • Rioja
    Rioja Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Not quite sure how they worked out the costing for the two pairs of designer glasses I picked, but I ended up paying nothing!:T Seems it had something to do with me getting working tax credits and the type of prescription I needed. The girl helping me choose the frames etc was amazed and said that had I come in the week before and ordered the same glasses, I would have had to pay £285 approx although the full cost would have been around £400 before my discount. Will have to wait and see if they have made a mistake or not when I go to pick them up next week.
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I might pay a trip too, as I need a third pair (and I'm a contact lens wearer!) For when I'm not wearing lenses (also complicated - was varifocal, then one far and one near vision and tried new ones at the mo... I'm on first names terms with my optician at Specsavers as I've had so many over the last 18 months), I have just had new varifiocal glasses, which I've been testing for the 30 days. I'm entitled to a second pair (incidentally with the thinnner lenses and mid range frames these were £245 from Specsavers) and have decided to go for some for near vision, as although the varifocals are good for general use, the range for reading is too restricted for someone who reads at speed and quantity. However, I'm not 100% about using varifocal glasses for driving, so will probably get an extra pair for distance viewing, which I'll go to Asda for....

I have so many different glasses and lenses (as I was also using 'reading' glasses on top of my lenses before) that I could set up a shop myself! The joys of ageing!
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Lily_The_Legend
    Options
    Oh my God, just wanted to say thank you to the OP and thank you to Martin for putting this into the weekly email! I'd booked an eye test at D&A for this coming weekend (have tried all the other high street opticians and not particularly happy with any) and was ready to be charged a fortune for a new pair of glasses as I'm blind as a bat. But have managed to get an eye test appointment at Asda for next Saturday. I asked if the deal would still be on then and she said yes. Woohoo! :beer:
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with others, thanks to OP for a brilliant post. Fortunately for me, my prescription is very mild but this is still a fantastic offer. I got 2 pairs of designer glasses ordered last Saturday (Vivienne Westwood and Jai Kudo) for £90.

As some others have already mentioned, Asda can get booked up for eye tests.

I booked a free test through D&A last Sat morning, they give you a copy of your prescription straight away, I then went to Asda the same afternoon and ordered.

The only pair I liked in D&A were quoted at £190 after a £50 voucher had been applied and a managers 10% discount, so by going to Asda I saved at least £100 and got a second pair! Bargain...

Free eye test from D&A can be found here- http://www.danda.co.uk/tmn-fet-50-off-sep100/

They email you a voucher to use. HTH.
  • Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    thats a good offer.
    Are eye tests not free regardless?
    They are up in Scotland.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,995 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone actually received specs from Asda yet? How is the quality? Do they live up to their claims?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • surromum
    Options
    My OH needs new glasses, I got mine from specsavers earlier this year :( guess it looks like we'll be heading to Asda.........
  • JulieWa
    JulieWa Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! I'm going to try the Great Bridge store at the weekend, I'm SO happy about this. I've got a -8 prescription and live in my contacts as I hate wearing my old glasses and desperately need some new ones. I couldn't justify the £150 lenses Specsavers wanted to charge as I don't wear my glasses often enough. This is perfect!
  • ValentinaH
    Options
    [/QUOTE]

Can't remember what my eye prescription is but I know with contacts I'm now a -4.5 in the left eye and -5.0 in the right.

Does it vary a lot between contacts and glasses? I'm probably a -7 in glasses I bet :([/QUOTE]

It should be very close to your contact prescription, they average out the contact ones to 0.25, so you should be within 0.25 either + or - on each eye

This looks like a good offer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport