Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Options

Comments

• Little_Miss_Boden
    Options
    I am so glad I came across this thread right now.

Both me and my H are really shortsighted (I am -8 in glasses) and both need new glasses this time around. My prescription hasn't changed but my glasses are two years old and the paint on the frames is wearing away. I was going to forsake my new pair (I also wear contacts) for my H who's prescription has changed.
    But with this offer both of us can get now!
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    bryanb wrote: »
    Has anyone actually received specs from Asda yet? How is the quality? Do they live up to their claims?

No, but I spoke with them today, and one pair that I ordered on Saturday are already in the shop. Will probably pick up this Saturday.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What a deal.

Just went in this lunch time.

Afetr some confusion and computer tapping the assistant came up with 1.9 index glass for designer frames. for prescription of -10.25 and -10.75.

Pupil distance measured, made sure everything was right. great service.

£90. I was so impressed that I purchased replacement insurance for £8/pair.

I have paid a tenth of what i would have done had a dealt with my regular optician.
  • Sue_S
    Sue_S Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't remember what my eye prescription is but I know with contacts I'm now a -4.5 in the left eye and -5.0 in the right.

Does it vary a lot between contacts and glasses? I'm probably a -7 in glasses I bet :(

It should be very close to your contact prescription, they average out the contact ones to 0.25, so you should be within 0.25 either + or - on each eye

This looks like a good offer!

Not necessarily, my contacts are -9 and my glasses prescription is -11.25 and -11.75
  • catmulogen
    Options
    Just booked an appointment for Nov 7th at Asda Killingbeck and spoke to a lovely lady on the phone. I've got really, really bad eyesight and so usually hate going to choose new glasses as I know they'll cost me a fortune ( last ones were £400 + at Specsaver!) and there won't be many frames for me to choose from because of my prescription. I feel quite excited about going this time though because i'll be saving so much money! Many thanks to the OP for this post:beer:

Now i'm just worrying that they might finish this promotion before then!
    Life's too short for wasting on ifs and might have beens...........
  • mrincredible_2
    Options
    Just been to Asda in Hyde, Cheshire. Bought two pairs including 1.91 index ultra thin glass lenses (my eyesight is -10), one Bench, one Lotus for £90 inc a free eye test. My last pair cost me £500 for a single pair from Boots. I had to travel 10 miles but worth saving £900!

Big choice of frames and fantastic customer service.

They take 7-10 days to arrive but so do any glasses with lenses suitable for my prescription.

Boots et al should be very worried by this.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Its going to hit all the regular opticians, but if Asda keeo this up, the days of charging £300 for something that obviously cost them £30 or so are now over.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • bigal257
    bigal257 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone ought to tell Asda at Stevenage about this deal. My wife had eye test last week - needs simple varifocals and was quoted "approx £200" for one pair in £75 frames. Went to Specsavers instead - 2 pairs for £124
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    anyone know if i can buy just one pair for £50 and have thin lenses included in the price or do you have to buy two pairs for £90 to get the thin lenses??

my local store is Corby if anyone else has been there.

my prescription is -3.75 -0.75 175
    -4.25 -0.75 3

what 'index' lenses would suit my prescription, 1.67?

:beer:
  • Jaxt
    Jaxt Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    My student son who is 17 and a band b NHS voucher and has -8.75 prescription has just picked his 2 pairs of designer glasses for £34. He got the 1.7 thinner lenses in each pair as standard and they look great.I am so grateful to the poster of this thread. Only last week I took him to specsavers and they walked us round the shop trying £125 glasses on which they told me would cost £95 with a 1.74 lenses,and then I had the humiliation of getting to the till to find they had put him wrongly on voucher D and now wanted £225. I aready pay for daily contact lenses for him and myself and ended up walking out.I just couldn't afford it. I felt gutted for him as he so needs them thinning down and the lenses were £150.Then good old Asda whoopee!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure