Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Options

Comments

• le_sigh
    Options
    Ladyday:

Be careful if you have a strong prescription and want rimless.

I was eligible for 1.67index lenses, but they would not sell me the semi-rimless glasses I wanted unless I upgraded to 1.7 lenses, doubling my cost.

Not exactly:
    "The complete price includes a single vision lens appropriate to your prescription and frame choice"
  • abipage
    Options
    Does this mean that only prescriptions of a certain strength (that really warrant 1.7) will get 1.7?

I'm guessing that 1.9 and 1.7 is the thickness of the glass.

1.7 and 1.9 are the refractive indexes of a lens. The higher the refractive index, the thinner the lens. Standard plastic (not thinned) is 1.5. Thinnest plastic lens is 1.74. Standard (not thinned) glass lenses have an refractive index of 1.523. Thinnest glass lens on market today is a 1.9.

Although glass lenses can be made thinner than plastic, they are heavier and safety / breakage rate should be considered.

Highest refractive index of any material = diamond 2.11 ( just as an extra boring fact)

Hope this helps.
  • abipage
    Options
    tonyg wrote: »
    My prescription is about -9 I think. I prefer plastic lenses for safety. Anyone know how these would look with the newer fangled sqaure frames? Will they stick out at the corners?

PS anyone got this to work at Asda Stevenage? Thanks in advance.

Just try to keep your frame choice as small as poss and make sure your eyes are central in the frame. A plastic frame can help hide thicker edges if you are worried.
  • abipage
    Options
    adam787_1 wrote: »
    Got this deal confirmed today at Asda. Not sure if my wife is entitled to the NHS voucher, we do get child tax credits but not working tax credits. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Adam

You can get an NHS voucher if you are named on a tax credit exemption certificate. This is normally only issued to families on a higher rate of working tax credit. (There are also other entitlements to an NHS voucher such as being under 16, on income support etc.
  • lawsofnature
    Options
    le_sigh wrote: »
    Ladyday:

Be careful if you have a strong prescription and want rimless.

I was eligible for 1.67index lenses, but they would not sell me the semi-rimless glasses I wanted unless I upgraded to 1.7 lenses, doubling my cost.

Not exactly:
    "The complete price includes a single vision lens appropriate to your prescription and frame choice"

This happened to me too. They wanted an additional £80. £40 for a 1.7 upgrade, and another £40 for a 1.74 upgrade. I was told to look at plastic frames to minimise overhang - so I wasn't exactly getting a 'frame choice'. Yet over the phone I was told if I wanted semi/rimless they would look at a thinner lens within the standard price.

I went for two plastic frames with 1.64 lenses. £90 for two pair of reasonable'ish quality glasses with 1.67 lenses is still very good. (Glasses Direct charges £85 upgrade for 1.67 lenses).

This is what I was told (for plastic lenses):
    -5 to -7 prescriptions get 1.67 lenses.
    -7 to -9 get 1.7 lenses.
    Beyond -9 get 1.74.

The overall service was pretty good.
  • topofall
    topofall Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    That's not cheap prices at Asda - search the net and you will find better prices! I have just got Bifocals with scratchproof coating for £67 from Glasses Direct. Bit of a hassle with measurements as they need PD which your optician won't normally give you but lots of solutions on the net for that one!
  • aardvark65
    Options
    Thankyou Thankyou poster!! I have a strong prescription (-7.5 and -7.75) and also like to have my glasses with reaction lenses. I usually end up at Specsavers but even with discounts pay £200 to £300 and if I want a second pair the extras make a free pair far from free! Online services mostly exclude high prescriptions and I worry about fitting as I often need adjustments. I have been putting off buying new glasses since my last prescription and then saw this post.
    At Asda yesterday (I had to go to one in a neighbouring town but who cares?) I bought 2 pairs with frames exactly as I wanted with thin plastic lenses and the addition of reactions (£30 each frame) for £150. I've never got anywhere like that little quoted for one pair!
    I'm SO pleased. Optical assistant said they are very busy with this offer! Let's hope it stays!:T:T:T:T:T:T
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    topofall wrote: »
    That's not cheap prices at Asda - search the net and you will find better prices! I have just got Bifocals with scratchproof coating for £67 from Glasses Direct. Bit of a hassle with measurements as they need PD which your optician won't normally give you but lots of solutions on the net for that one!

:mad::mad::mad: The Glasses Direct upgrade to 1.6 lenses is £55 on top of the glasses cost, so your bifocals would be £130. For one pair.

They dont even appear to do 1.7......if the Asda optional upgrades (to 1.67, then to 1.7) are anything to go buy, that makes glasses direct £135 for the lenses upgrade that you would add to the cost of the glasses.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • desisaver
    desisaver Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2009 at 12:37PM
    Options
    tonyg wrote: »
    Guys - this was the post that seemed to question whether Asda Stevenage knew about the offer.

Hi tonyg, please see my previous post. I can confirm that Asda Stevenage know about this as I have ordered my glasses from them on Tuesday with this deal. Loads of frame choices - I got a rim-less and a semi-rimless one. Also I had an eye test that I did not pay for. Having read though this thread are people having to pay for eye tests? They should be free if you buy glasses! I was also cheeky and managed to get my PD reading on my prescription ;)
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    For people with standard prescriptions this is a good but not spectacular deal.

For me with -10 eyes it's absolutely awesome. I got two pairs of really nice frames with 1.74 lenses for £90. The optician in the store had a look through the old pricing scheme for me, it would have come to £410!

And I'd recommend the Trafford Centre store. The optician in there seemed a really nice chap. He couldn't believe the prices himself when head office told him a few weeks back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure