We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cheap Parcel Delivery Official Discussion

1…219220222224225…335

Comments

  • Jordii
    Jordii Posts: 440 Forumite
    Strapped wrote: »
    Unless it would mean a 30 mile round-trip like it would for me ;)
    Ah unlucky :)
    The newsagents in my train station accepts collect plus parcels, so I can just drop them off on my way to work no hassle.
    :o Young moneysaver in the making
    A penny saved, is a penny earned :D
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Jordii wrote: »
    Ah unlucky :)
    The newsagents in my train station accepts collect plus parcels, so I can just drop them off on my way to work no hassle.

    Very handy! Unfortunately I operate from the back of beyond - good for me, poor for business.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • My newsagents I pass when I walk the dog does collect+, so very handy for eBay and collecting my shop direct group shopping!!!
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    First time I need to use a courier rather than Royal Mail for an item.

    It weighs 9kg.

    I have been reading through this thread and on eBay and there doesn't seem to be one company that stands out from the rest to use.

    I have seen www.senditnow.com that are owned by Parcel Force and don't seem to operate via a third party. But they seem more expensive.

    Which company do the experienced regulars use?

    Thanks for any help.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JAG wrote: »
    First time I need to use a courier rather than Royal Mail for an item.

    It weighs 9kg.

    I have been reading through this thread and on eBay and there doesn't seem to be one company that stands out from the rest to use.

    I have seen www.senditnow.com that are owned by Parcel Force and don't seem to operate via a third party. But they seem more expensive.

    Which company do the experienced regulars use?

    Thanks for any help.

    I've never heard of them before, I like to use a company that will take Paypal so that the money comes out of paypal acct before I transfer the rest.
    I used Collect + the other day, not bad but slower than who I usually use.
    I use p4d & go for the cheapest, it was always DHL, or Yodel as they are now. I generally dropped off at the depot, goes out that evening & often delivered the next. Costs around £9
  • JPS29
    JPS29 Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    @Jag, what are the dimensions of your item. I have been using interparcel for years now but recently returned to parcelmonkey and tried their jiffy bag service. Anything up to 10kg that will fit in a proper mailing back,(you have to buy these yourself) IIRC 50x40cm. I used to pay £8.56 with interparcel now I pay £5.99 with PM. THey used to be really hit and miss but I've used them 10 times now with no problem, should save me over a grand a year in courier costs as I sell car parts a lot of which will fit in these bags, if yours is a bit bigger then I'd highly recommend interparcel. HTH
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks hermum and JPS29.

    @hermum I got it from the eBay discussion boards. It will cost £13.80 with them using Parcel Force.

    @JPS29 It's about 40cm x 40cm x 20cm (boxed up). So I think too big for a giffy bag.

    Checking Interparcel I get about £8 Hermes, £10 Yodel, £11 Interparcel Economy.

    Parcel Monkey £8 City Link.

    I have received items from sellers that used City Link and Hermes but got poor service. Smashed up boxes and contents 3 times with City Link, and Hermes either chucked over the garden fence or left out on the door step even though the item was worth over £100.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    P4d, do city link cheaper but not much good is they're crap.
    http://www.p4d.co.uk/p4d/process.php
    Parcel2go, do parcel force cheaper

    http://www.parcel2go.com/Quote-page.aspx?dest=214&col=214&p=^9|40|40|20
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hermum wrote: »
    Parcel2go, do parcel force cheaper

    I would need to pay extra to cover for damage than the standard £50, which would add an extra £2.50 with Parcel2go, making it more expensive than senditnow.

    So it looks like I either go for the cheapest option with City Link or Hermes, but with questionable service.

    Or pay extra for Parcel Force and hope for better service :undecided
  • I recently used Parcel2Go for an eBay sale. I selected Hermes as the particular courier since they were the cheapest. The parcel was actually a valuable china desert service and they smashed it to pieces even though it had been wrapped and packed with great care. I had paid for extra insurance up to the sale value and filed a claim only to be told it was on the 'no compensation' list for breakages. However I persisted and Parcel2Go actually refunded the full amount of the sale price. For this reason I would recommend their service but be very careful about selecting particular couriers within their network and what is and is not covered.
    Foxyfeline
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.