Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: House price rise predicted by MoneySavers

Options

Comments

• wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    I have been thinking about the whole Ad PPR thingy.
    It really shouldn't be that difficult. Make a user name and dont use it on this part of the board.
    Post in the Arms or where ever for a couple of weeks, keep running the nonsense names along side. Then stumble across this board with a decent post count under your belt.
    That's how I would do it.
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 September 2009 at 11:35PM
    Options
    wageslave wrote: »
    Post in the Arms or where ever for a couple of weeks, keep running the nonsense names along side. Then stumble across this board with a decent post count under your belt.
    That's how I would do it.

If ad wanted to stay on here discretely with a new ID, I'm sure he could do so..... Just power down the adsl modem to get a new IP address, clear the cookies and cache, change the mac address on the network, and if all else fails buy a 3G card to get a new ISP. Or just save yourself the effort and browse through an anonymiser.

My guess is that he's making a point and playing a game with the site by announcing himself.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • Cleaver
    Cleaver Posts: 6,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mewbie wrote: »
    It is brilliant how excited people get over house prices - almost fanatical in devotion to one side or the other. I wonder what % of MSEers would think we had just been through a housing bubble? What % think they are more attractive than their next door neighbour? What % have heard of QE?

You confuse me Mr Mewbs. Sometimes you can come across as very caring and thoughtful and other times as quite cutting.
    mewbie wrote: »
    You will learn far more from a speech by the commentator who predicted the last crash, Muriel Houdini, than any of this nonsense.

Any relation to Harry?

In all seriousness I think predicting where house prices go nowadays is a bit like predicting the stock market - pretty pointless. Up one day (month) and down the next day (month). Someone's right, someone's wrong.

By the way, sorry for the Harry joke. Quite lame really, but I can't be ar*ed to think of anything else after a bottle of wine.
  • bluey890
    bluey890 Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Options
    Cleaver wrote: »
    You confuse me Mr Mewbs. Sometimes you can come across as very caring and thoughtful and other times as quite cutting.

Any relation to Harry?

In all seriousness I think predicting where house prices go nowadays is a bit like predicting the stock market - pretty pointless. Up one day (month) and down the next day (month). Someone's right, someone's wrong.

By the way, sorry for the Harry joke. Quite lame really, but I can't be ar*ed to think of anything else after a bottle of wine.

Finished watching Gervais? He's always good isn't he?
    Favourite hobbies: Watersports. Relaxing in Coffee Shop. Investing in stocks.
    Personality type: Compassionate Male Armadillo. Sockies: None.
  • Cleaver
    Options
    bluey890 wrote: »
    Finished watching Gervais? He's always good isn't he?

It might be the wine, but that's gone right over my head. I've thanked it anyway, just in case it was a very trendy, timely, comedic reference that has somehow passed me by.
  • Cleaver
    Options
    Cleaver I really love you and what would you say if i told you i was watching U2 live in los angeles in 1987 (Party Girl) getting warmed up for the giants gig later this month. Also what would you say if i told you i was also mewbie?

I'm reacting to all of that with emotions based around confusion and suspicion.
  • bluey890
    bluey890 Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Options
    Cleaver wrote: »
    It might be the wine, but that's gone right over my head. I've thanked it anyway, just in case it was a very trendy, timely, comedic reference that has somehow passed me by.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit young man. I suspect you're a nightmare for your wife. ;)
    No wonder she confines you to your room with the PC.
    Favourite hobbies: Watersports. Relaxing in Coffee Shop. Investing in stocks.
    Personality type: Compassionate Male Armadillo. Sockies: None.
  • wageslave
    Options
    Cleaver I really love you and what would you say if i told you i was watching U2 live in los angeles in 1987 (Party Girl) getting warmed up for the giants gig later this month. Also what would you say if i told you i was also mewbie?
    This place is turning into a John Osborne play. I may just take up drink myself.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    wageslave wrote: »
    This place is turning into a John Osborne play. I may just take up drink myself.

:beer:

Works for me every time.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • wageslave
    Options
    Who broke the window? Who broke down the door? Who tore down the curtain and who is it for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport