Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: House price rise predicted by MoneySavers

Options

Comments

• mewbie_2
    mewbie_2 Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JanCee wrote: »
    Seriously, we probably don't share the same views but I enjoy reading the diverse views that appear on this forum. Yours were certainly some of the posts that I would read with interest. I really have no idea why you were banned, especially considering some of the idiotic posters that continue to be allowed forumtime, so maybe a low profile for a while would do the trick. If everyone shared the same point of view then there would be no debate at all and that would make this board totally redundant.
    I would thank this twice apart from the bit about idiotic posters, We are all part of MSE, and indeed most of us voted on the house price VI poll.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    wageslave wrote: »
    In the long term you will make a good profit. You know it, I know it. But house prices are obscenely high and it is robbing a generation of its choice. You cannot possibley see that as a good thing.

Yes, you're right of course, but it doesn't change anything.

I base my projections of HPI on the underlying market supply and demand fundamentals, and an awareness of the relatively small percentage of new households that need to be able to afford buying for prices to keep rising, with the current and projected levels of housebuilding.

I've made my bet, and will cheer on the horse I have backed. It's that simple.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you're right of course, but it doesn't change anything.

I base my projections of HPI on the underlying market supply and demand fundamentals, and an awareness of the relatively small percentage of new households that need to be able to afford buying for prices to keep rising, with the current and projected levels of housebuilding.

I've made my bet, and will cheer on the horse I have backed. It's that simple.
    I think you must be a little scared you have gotten it wrong. It is always a mistake to put all your eggs in the one basket.
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    supply and demand fundamentals
    So Mr. McTavish. I put it to you that this cliched argument is a load of old McTosh. What happened to your fundamentals when the market dipped by 20% recently? Did we briefly have enough houses for a short while? Or was the UK not an Island (they're not building any more land) for a year or so?

Why did it crash at all if everything points to your continuing boom?
  • mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're demand fundamentals are irrelevant Hamish, 2007 was the pinnicle of house price/wages/bank lending. You will never see this again, prices will only ever reach 2007 levels again when wages have risen accordingly, making it all relative.

Ironically the guy you bought off in 2007 was laughing all the way to the bank, as in real inflation adjusted terms 2007 is gone forever, demand or no demand.
    Did he buy in 2007? Ahh. That's hit him right in the fundamentals.
  • mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes he did, hence the desperation and ramping.
    Oh Hamish, I so wanted to believe in your promises of ever increasing house prices and a lost generation of homeless people.

Say you are not just another desperate property ramper.. please...say it ain't so.
  • wageslave
    Options
    Oh bugg4h Hamish, did you buy the second house in 2007?
    Prices will rise again, you just have to ride it out. Probably for a fairly long time mind you.
    Is Mrs Hamish very cross with you?

Ach now I feel quite sorry for him:o
  • bluey890
    bluey890 Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Options
    No, theres just a shortage of housing, of the types people want, in the places they want to live, and where the employment exists to support them.

With 250,000 households being formed a year, and only 80,000 houses being built this year, HPI is inevitable.

:rotfl:

No, I'm a complete b@stard most of the time. But I accept we need to build more houses, otherwise it will be 3 families in a house like it was in the old days.

I have two houses. One day I will sell them both and downsize. I'd like as much cash from the transaction as possible.

Leave the green belt alone Tavvy. If you want more homes, build them in Scotland.
    Favourite hobbies: Watersports. Relaxing in Coffee Shop. Investing in stocks.
    Personality type: Compassionate Male Armadillo. Sockies: None.
  • wageslave
    Options
    I actually do feel really sorry for him now. This has taken all the fun out of it:cry:
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    Did anyone notice it was a 0.36% gain predicted?

Not going to exactly make a lot of difference - even if it does come true.

All those people stampeding to the estate agent in case they have to cough up another 0.36% in a year? Can't see it having a whole lot of impact on sentiment, frankly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure