Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: House price rise predicted by MoneySavers

Options

Comments

• mewbie_2
    mewbie_2 Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wageslave wrote: »
    I'll have you know Hamish and I are extremely close. We are often to be seen frolicking around the forum together, hand in hand.
    Well you've now been thanked by two of the worst. You're in with the wrong crowd wageslave.

Anyway: on topic. What does all this clueless badinage tell us about the MSE poll? Does it lead one to suspect that people actually know anything on here, or that they have just wished and guessed?

Would you look at this thread, in the 'expert' section of the House Price debate and conclude that here indeed are the finest minds in the UK, with a finger on the pulse of the housing crash / recovery?

I say its going down, Hamish says its going up. Time will tell.
  • IveSeenTheLight
    IveSeenTheLight Posts: 13,322 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2009 at 8:24PM
    Options
    mewbie wrote: »
    Perhaps we need a poll on the apostrophe and where it goes. What % of MSEers do you think would get that right?

Whatever.

I'm not sitting an English exam and I don't feel the need to carry out a check on my typing grammer while posting in a damn forum.

Incidently, I do know where the apostrophe goes, I just typed in the wrong place.

Furthermore, if you are so grammatically correct, should you have used the percentage sign within a sentence? ;)

MSEers ????? Is that an abreviation for Money Saving Experters? ;)
    :wall:
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
  • mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think MSE should conduct more polls.

Do you want your kids to be able to afford a house one day?
    Do you think it is better for BTLers to own houses rather than FTB's?
    Would you want your daughter to marry a landlord?
    Sherbet dip or pear drops?
  • mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On a side note can I say how pleased I am with some of the user names who are thanking me tonight. They are truly exceptional.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options

:huh:

I'm strangely disturbed..... Could it really be that simple?
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    Well you've now been thanked by two of the worst. You're in with the wrong crowd wageslave.
    No, please dont let it be Chucky..........
    I solemnly promise never to post anything sensible every again
    Anyway: on topic. What does all this clueless badinage tell us about the MSE poll? Does it lead one to suspect that people actually know anything on here, or that they have just wished and guessed?

Would you look at this thread, in the 'expert' section of the House Price debate and conclude that here indeed are the finest minds in the UK, with a finger on the pulse of the housing crash / recovery?

It is a fairly large poll although we have no way of telling how broad a spectrum of the public it encompasses.
    For better or worse it's people who buy houses and they will buy sooner rather than later if they think the HPI wind is blowing again. Off course that is IF they can scrape together the deposit and IF they can finangle a mortgage.
    I would be interested to see a similar poll on the way the economy is going. I dont suppose there happens to be one?
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • IveSeenTheLight
    Options
    I think MSE should conduct more polls.

Do you want your kids to be able to afford a house one day? Of course, who wouldn't? It's also important to install a work ethic to be able to go out an achieve the house if they desire. How fortunate we are to live in an era where there is the highest percentage of owner occupiers in recorded history. Previous generations didn't have the same luxury
    Do you think it is better for BTLers to own houses rather than FTB's? Society will always need to cater for those that do not wish to buy or indeed cannot afford to buy. Recent years has seen government sell off social housing and BTL LL's have not purchased the equivalent properties to replace them. Where would people live and what choice would they have if Private rental had not picked up some of the slack that the government released?
    Would you want your daughter to marry a landlord? Is it relevant? Surely better to ask if they are a decent person who would care for your child. What about your son? Would you want them to marry a LL?
    Sherbet dip or pear drops? Pure individual choice. No outcome to affect any other voter ;)

Maybe better than simply creating more polls and questions would be to spend time considering and understanding all the aspects behind the existing polls and questions.
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
  • JanCee
    JanCee Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    mewbie

On a side note can I say how pleased I am with some of the user names who are thanking me tonight. They are truly exceptional.

Blunt force castration

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    JanCee wrote: »

On a side note can I say how pleased I am with some of the user names who are thanking me tonight.
    Blunt force castration
    Obviously someone who has suffered in the recession.
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    wageslave wrote: »
    I'll have you know Hamish and I are extremely close. We are often to be seen frolicking around the forum together, hand in hand.

I thought that was our secret.:o

(hope the wife isn't reading)
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport