Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: House price rise predicted by MoneySavers

Options

Comments

• Cleaver
    Cleaver Posts: 6,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bluey890 wrote: »
    The vast majority (80% it appears) think that prices will be somewhere between -5% and +20% over the next year. :D

Look Bluey, the important aspect of this survey is not 80% this or 70% that. 'Tis merely a detail.

No, the important aspect of this survey will be to ensure that people with a high view of their own opinion have ample opportunity to mock the opinions of others. And I think we can all thank MSE Guy for that. Thanks MSE Guy.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    Cleaver wrote: »

Maybe, just maybe, the users of this website have seen the recent rises, have seen base rates at 0.5%, have seen the work of the government to keep prices up and understand that the British public love their property. And on this evidence they have based their decision. That's only a theory of course, but it seems more viable than presuming that everyone thinks things are back to normal. Doesn't mean they think it's brilliant news of course.

Indeed.

And furthermore, even the ones that read this forum may have considered and rejected the bear arguments.

Rising unemployment- It's been rising all this year too, yet prices have risen.

Rising interest rates- Mortgage margins are decreasing, base rates are forecast to stay low for years.

Rising Reposessions- Repo's are not even as high as the last recession, and make up less than a single months sales per year.

No mortgage funding- It's risen every month for 6 months, and has been proven to be enough for prices to rise.

Insufficent mortgage approvals/transactions- Housepricesuk.net's excellent work shows the price neutrality point was reached some time ago, and prices confirm this.

etc......

etc......

etc......

The bears case has been proven to have no veracity. They're just clutching at straws now. Desperate, and a bit sad.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • luvpump
    luvpump Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mewbie wrote: »
    I don't remember that poll? 9,000 votes eh? We normally get about 20, more if it's about sex.

But what do you want? An "oh that's nice then", or a more considered 'opinion'. Probably don't want mine. But here goes.

1. Biggest bubble in house price history financed by artificial and in some cases illegal lending.
    2. Worldwide financial crash takes out major banks and economies (Iceland for example)
    3. MSE says "back to normal next year"

Whatever.
    :rotfl: have to agree tho !... Notihng more than wishful thinking IMO, as lets face it, the majority of members of NSE own houses & dont like to see them falling in value ! So harldy surprising results ..
  • mewbie_2
    mewbie_2 Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is brilliant how excited people get over house prices - almost fanatical in devotion to one side or the other. I wonder what % of MSEers would think we had just been through a housing bubble? What % think they are more attractive than their next door neighbour? What % have heard of QE?

I would rather assess the views of experts in the various fields of economics and politics, and learn from history than a user based poll. You will learn far more from a speech by the commentator who predicted the last crash, Muriel Houdini, than any of this nonsense.
  • wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    The results make interesting reading.
    Perception is everything in any market, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wageslave wrote: »
    The results make interesting reading.
    Perception is everything in any market, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

The Following User Says Thank You to wageslave For This Useful Post: Show me >> HAMISH_MCTAVISH (Today)

That's put the mockers on your post mate.
  • IveSeenTheLight
    Options
    I don't remember that poll? 9,000 votes eh? We normally get about 20, more if it's about sex.

But what do you want? An "oh that's nice then", or a more considered 'opinion'. Probably don't want mine. But here goes.

Whatever.

I guess your making less than a 0.00001111% different to the result then.

Your'e right, whatever ;)
    :wall:
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
    :wall:
  • mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess your making
    Your'e right, whatever
    Perhaps we need a poll on the apostrophe and where it goes. What % of MSEers do you think would get that right?
  • wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    The Following User Says Thank You to wageslave For This Useful Post: Show me >> HAMISH_MCTAVISH (Today)
    That's put the mockers on your post mate.
    I'll have you know Hamish and I are extremely close. We are often to be seen frolicking around the forum together, hand in hand.
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    luvpump wrote: »
    :rotfl: have to agree tho !... Notihng more than wishful thinking IMO, as lets face it, the majority of members of NSE own houses & dont like to see them falling in value ! So harldy surprising results ..

And the majority on this board are the opposite and don't own a house and don't like to see house prices rising, hardly surprising response from you lot :rotfl: Nothing more than wishful thinking.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure