Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: House price rise predicted by MoneySavers

Options

Comments

• Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 September 2009 at 6:18PM
    Options
    Deleted.. .........
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like they passed the 70% club by, remember not so long ago -20% would have been a raving looney HPI merchanticon7.gif

3% think there could be a 20% crash (see the full House Price Poll results)
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    The site also has a higher proportion of the financially astute than the general population, even on the debts boards the people are turning their lives around like born agains.

Well I knew you would disgaree with me Stevie :p

If I said the users of this site were mainly the financially astute who know whats going on in the economy, you'd have said no they aren't, look at the bank charges board.
  • StevieJ
    Options
    Well I knew you would disgaree with me Stevie :p

It is a moneysaving site :p
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Turnbull2000
    Options
    People will believe what they're told. If the media and local estate agents proclaim that prices will rise, people will believe that prices will rise. If the media and local estate agents say that prices will fall, people will believe that prices will fall. The vast majority can't think for themselves when it comes to the economy and housing.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • StevieJ
    Options
    Snooze wrote: »
    Deleted.. .........

They should have asked them if they had at least 'A' level economics :confused: then again have you seen some of those economics gurus forecasts over the last year :eek:
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 September 2009 at 6:45PM
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    Looks like they passed the 70% club by, remember not so long ago -20% would have been a raving looney HPI merchanticon7.gif

3% think there could be a 20% crash (see the full House Price Poll results)

What odds will you give me I can name the one person that voted for Increase over 20%. (boom)? at face value it should be over 9,000/1 (what odds can I have it was Hamish?).

EDit just realised it was probably 1%, after checking yes it was 1% and 117 votes, what odds can I have that Hamish has 117 extended family members then?
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    What odds will you give me I can name the one person that voted for Increase over 20%. (boom)? at face value it should be over 9,000/1 (what odds can I have it was Hamish?)

I didn't vote.

But my position on price rises is clear, somewhere around 3% up in the next year, around 5% the year after, and around 7% the year after that.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I didn't vote.

But my position on price rises is clear, somewhere around 3% up in the next year, around 5% the year after, and around 7% the year after that.

I hope you are right but my guess would be stagnation with prices only 5% higher in 3-4 years time, then higher rises to follow.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Cleaver
    Cleaver Posts: 6,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    abaxas wrote: »
    71% of people on MSE are happy for their children not to get a good start in life.

What a bunch of sickos.

The survey stated that 71% of the people asked thought that prices would rise or hold. The survey said nothing about their opinion of whether this was a good or bad thing, so why the comment around people not being happy for their children to get a good start in life?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure