Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: House price rise predicted by MoneySavers

Options

Comments

• wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    JanCee wrote: »
    Stop outing yourself on here and you may last longer than a nanosecond. Just pm those you wish to keep in the loop and remain anonymous to the wider public. Discretion is the key.
    He thinks Discretion is a horse in the 2.45 at Newquay.
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    wageslave wrote: »
    There is no shortage of housing. There is a shortage of decent social housing

No, theres just a shortage of housing, of the types people want, in the places they want to live, and where the employment exists to support them.

With 250,000 households being formed a year, and only 80,000 houses being built this year, HPI is inevitable.
    You're all heart Hamish

:rotfl:

No, I'm a complete [EMAIL="b@stard"]b@stard[/EMAIL] most of the time. But I accept we need to build more houses, otherwise it will be 3 families in a house like it was in the old days.
    You have a house. Why is it soooooo important to you that house prices stay high?

I have two houses. One day I will sell them both and downsize. I'd like as much cash from the transaction as possible.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • mewbie_2
    mewbie_2 Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm glad you like it, mewbie seems to like my others as well.

I'm sorry I can't start any serious debate these days, usually because before it's reached it's conclusion I've gone, pity really that I've been reduced to posting drivel. :(

Ad.
    I aspire to drivel.

Mewbie x
  • mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With 250,000 households being formed a year, and only 80,000 houses being built this year, HPI is inevitable.
    No. Homelessness is inevitable.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    mewbie wrote: »
    No. Homelessness is inevitable.

I doubt it will go that far, but I can certainly see slumlords packing 4 families into an old house happening again unless we build more houses.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

• mewbie_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I doubt it will go that far, but I can certainly see slumlords packing 4 families into an old house happening again unless we build more houses.
    Well it's something to aim for. Thank heaven for expensive property eh? Although there are huge numbers of unsold and empty tower blocks around the UK now, thanks partly to InsideTrack and dare I say it property rampers.
  • wageslave
    wageslave Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2009 at 9:44PM
    Options
    I have two houses. One day I will sell them both and downsize. I'd like as much cash from the transaction as possible.
    In the long term you will make a good profit. You know it, I know it. But house prices are obscenely high and it is robbing a generation of its choice. You cannot possibly see that as a good thing.
    Retail is the only therapy that works
  • JanCee
    JanCee Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just having a laugh Jan, nothing serious. Do you think I'd last long with this username. :)

Seriously, we probably don't share the same opinions but I enjoy reading the diverse views that appear on this forum. Yours were certainly some of the posts that I would read with interest. I really have no idea why you were banned, especially considering some of the idiotic posters that continue to be allowed forumtime, so maybe a low profile for a while would do the trick. If everyone shared the same point of view then there would be no debate at all and that would make this board totally redundant.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    mewbie wrote: »
    Well it's something to aim for. Thank heaven for expensive property eh? Although there are huge numbers of unsold and empty tower blocks around the UK now, thanks partly to InsideTrack and dare I say it property rampers.

:rotfl:

You never give up, do you? Thats what I like about you Mewbie, such faith, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Now if you could just move all those empty tower blocks from the places with a surplus of houses to the places with a shortage, you may be on to something.....

• bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Options

Tory double-dealing is not on
    • transparent.gif
    • transparent.gif
    By Mirror.co.uk 4/09/2009
    david-cameron-pic-getty-230428788.jpg
    The double-dealing of David Cameron’s Conservatives is exposed by their callous opportunism over housing.
    To advise Tory councils to deny the go-ahead for new homes as long as Gordon Brown is in Downing Street is to play party politics with families and the homeless.
    Advertisement - article continues below »

Tory frontbencher Caroline Spelman’s instruction looks like an arrogant exercise of irresponsible power.
    The Conservative leadership must have known what it was doing in the uncertain political period ahead of what is effectively the first properly contested election since 1992.
    To try and delay major developments until a Tory regime might be in power is to expose the party’s fitness to govern.
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure