PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping on top of housework when you're ill or in other times of crisis?

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    gentlepurr wrote: »
    Oh, and another thing i found very hard was accepting help when its offered, - learn to say "Yes please" when friends come round and offer to do something to help.

You have hit the nail on the head. Even harder - asking for help.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Remember Quentin Crisp's motto,

" After 6 years the dust doesn't get any worst!"
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I know when I've been super-busy, or struggling with my health (insomnia/ anxiety/ depression), I pick back up housework in little bits to make it manageable. I focus on getting the washing up and laundry done regularly as these are relatively small jobs. Life seems much easier if the thing you need to wear is clean and dry or the pan you need to cook is washed!! Washing up I never do in one hit - just fill the sink with soapy water, cutlery and glasses and leave to soak, return to wash those up then leave the plates to soak etc. So it's a minute here and there for an hour or more but no elbow grease.

Other than laundry and washing up, I focus on the dirtiest thing in the house. If I'm up to it that might be the entire bathroom, if not just the toilet or the sink. The vast majority of cleaning that we do is not essential, dusting only needs doing every month unless you have asthmatics in the house, whereas obviously a kitchen needs to be cleaned a little bit every time you cook. Ironing I never bother with, healthy or otherwise!!

For cooking I'd definitely buy frozen ready-chopped veg and ready cut meat (butcher do this if you ask), and just throw everything into a slow cooker. You don't need to brown off, check or stir regularly, and there's just one pot to wash up. :beer:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Would reccomend the time bank idea, I do something similar though not because of illness just a hatred of ironing,

I swap babysitting/cooking services in exchange for ironing as I have a friend who actually enjoys doing it... crazy woman!!! Though she thinks the same of me and my cooking so it all works out fine!!!

Has gone to play on her own little world for a bit..... but its ok the voices in her head came too so she's not alone ;)
  • Hi

I wanted to come back to say thanks for the help on this thread now I'm more or less back to normal.

Here are some things that I've found helped:

Keeping a box at the bottom of the stairs for things to be put up there at the end of the day.

We sent a lot of the children's clothes to friends and charity so there was less laundry. The children are happier because they're always in their favourite clothes. (DH and I didn't have enough to give away. I only have 3 pairs of trousers. The kids had about 15 pairs each!)

I cleaned the fridge one shelf at a time rather than trying to do it all at once. Same with the bathroom - alternate days for toilet and sink - bath had to wait.

We used cleaning wipes in the bathroom and kitchen as it was quick and easy to swish without reaching up to cupboards for cleaning stuff. I could do the floors with my feet. (I remember doing this when my back was bad!)

Soup - instead of resorting to tins, I used ready chopped veg and I threw them in to the slow cooker with lentils and stock.

Stew - used ready prepared veg and diced meat instead of having to get out of bed to cut it up.

Stirfry - Asda do a good deal on noodles, prepared veg and packet sauce. Got DH to cut up the meat.

DH has a couple of meals he's very good at and he managed extra with a little help (like a packet cheese sauce or some stock from the freezer.)

Kids enjoyed baking with DH.

Kids have been AMAZING. Their room is tidy and they put their toys away each night. ?! I don't really know how that happened to be honest. But it's pretty great.

Accepted help when it was offered.

DH got into a good routine and managed amazingly well, especially given that he had to work too. No sick pay or 'personal leave' when you're self employed!

I didn't have a nighty and I wasn't well enough before the surgery to buy one, so I used the hospital ones. For 3 nights, I really didn't care that much!

I got into a nice routine in the evenings where I'd have some time with the kids individually. The oldest did his homework/reading sitting on my bed with me each night. He refused to work with anyone else as that was 'our' time. The youngest would snuggle in for a story or to watch a DVD.

I sometimes buy ready cut stirfry stuff, but I would never in a million years have bought ready cut veg for stews/soup etc. However, I've been very happy with the results.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Except that I leaned over while the tap was running, got the baggy sleeve of my T-shirt caught on it and water poured all down the inside of my T-shirt all over me and the floor!:o:rotfl:

Next time you have a pair of rubber gloves with holes in cut across the cuffs to make big rubber bands. Now you can use the bands to stop your sleeves hanging down.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A tip I was given which pretty much goes for anyone if you don't want to pull your back unnecessarily is when you bring in bags of shopping put them up on the kitchen worktop rather than on the kitchen floor. Much easier to unpack and no where near as much lifting involved.
    Aril
    PS It's a moneysaving tip if you keep your back in good condition and don't have to pay somebody else to sort it out!
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Glad to hear you're almost back to normal GR!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • I can't improve of any of the brilliant suggestions already made but I hope you'll remember that there is a lot of wisdom in the old saying ' clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be happy'.

Ask yourself if it will matter in ten years time that the housework was a bit behindhand just now.

Suggest you only do what NEEDS to be done, for example - clean clothes is a yes but clean clothes, immaculately starched and ironed is no. Simple foods easily prepared are good, full roast dinners are not

If you're feeling under par...keep your energy for playing with your children and to hell with the housework for the time being.

You 'll have the rest of your life to achieve Home Beautiful, in the here and now you need to focus on yourself and getting well.

Wishing you a speedy recovery to good health ;)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Aril wrote: »
    A tip I was given which pretty much goes for anyone if you don't want to pull your back unnecessarily is when you bring in bags of shopping put them up on the kitchen worktop rather than on the kitchen floor. Much easier to unpack and no where near as much lifting involved.
    Aril
    PS It's a moneysaving tip if you keep your back in good condition and don't have to pay somebody else to sort it out!

My kitchen is carefully organised so that lighter, less frequently used stuff is low down, and the stuff I use lots/is heavy is up high, as I find this easier (I have had back problems since I was 10). To fill the (undercounter) fridge and put away pasta/noodles etc. that are kept down low, I sit on the floor to unpack the bags :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure