PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping on top of housework when you're ill or in other times of crisis?

1111213141517»

Comments

• clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2011 at 12:35PM
    I love Greyqueen's post!

Ellie - first thing to do is make a cup of tea, sit down with a pen and paper and make yourself an action plan.

You will have to find your own way of doing this that suits you best, but I agree that you need to work on the decluttering if you are going to get the house under control.

I found that working fulltime I only had time to cook, do a load of washing and a bit of tidying on weekday evenings. Cleaning jobs had to wait til the weekend. My approach would be to draw up a basic list of weekly cleaning jobs that need doing every week, and in addition, each weekend focus on a declutter/deeper clean of one room, until you have gone round the whole house.

Re decluttering - I find that giving things to the charity shop, freecycle, or recycling is much easier for me than chucking them in the bin as you know that someone else will "get the use" out of them. So you dont feel that you are wasting things.

Freecycle is particularly useful as people will collect stuff from you so you dont even need to arrange transport to get rid of it. if you ever do need 100 eggboxes (for example) you could always post a wanted ad on freecycle.

ps I have a cleaner and I confess I do tidy up before she comes round, but that is because i pay her to clean not tidy, I would rather she spent the time on cleaning as she has a habit of tidying things into the wrong places so we cant find them!
  • craftdaft
    craftdaft Posts: 159 Forumite
    Reading this thread has convinced me we need to take action. I've had a relapse of my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (M.E.) and am doing my best to prevent it becoming a big one (in between hoping it's just taking me a very long time to recover from a virus!).

DH has always been against getting a cleaner as they're only for posh people :o but as (part-time) work is proving difficult to manage something has to go. Thought I'd need to wait until I was able to get house in order (decluttering :eek:) but following the suggestions on this thread I'm going to see if my Mum and sister can spare a day or two over the next couple of weeks, I'd rather be embarrassed by my clutter with them than a cleaner who I'll probably know (I live in a small community with a very good gossiping network :p). In the meantime I'm still attempting to manage all of level 1 flylady tasks in a week - I've never managed it but can still see an improvement!

I hope all your suggestions can help EllieA as much as they're going to help me. Thank you all :T:T:T
    Making small changes everyday....
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    craftdaft wrote: »
    Reading this thread has convinced me we need to take action. I've had a relapse of my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (M.E.) and am doing my best to prevent it becoming a big one (in between hoping it's just taking me a very long time to recover from a virus!).

DH has always been against getting a cleaner as they're only for posh people :o but as (part-time) work is proving difficult to manage something has to go. Thought I'd need to wait until I was able to get house in order (decluttering :eek:) but following the suggestions on this thread I'm going to see if my Mum and sister can spare a day or two over the next couple of weeks, I'd rather be embarrassed by my clutter with them than a cleaner who I'll probably know (I live in a small community with a very good gossiping network :p). In the meantime I'm still attempting to manage all of level 1 flylady tasks in a week - I've never managed it but can still see an improvement!

I hope all your suggestions can help EllieA as much as they're going to help me. Thank you all :T:T:T

:) Hello, Craftdaft, I've had CFS/ME for 26 years now, doing paid work 4-5 hours a day and I struggle with that. I'd say you're going the right way about it, letting the family help you regain control and then hiring help in. I have a tiny home but there are still just as many mess-makers in it (bathroom fittings, stove, sink etc etc) just less room to clean around them. If I'm doing housework, it'll be a case of do a job, rest for 20 mins with a book or the internet, do another job, and try to potter thru the day without overdoing it. Try to be gentle with yourself, my dear, it's a pig of an illness to manage and sometimes people don't understand why you look "OK" but aren't coping too well. The important thing is to eat well and rest, otherwise you will relapse and that's to be avoided at all costs.

Take care and potter on :)

(((((Hugs ))))) GQ.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When I used to lurk round the organised homes site before they got rid of their forum :( members used to talk about allocating a 'container' for whatever it is you want to [STRIKE]hoard[/STRIKE] keep. Once the container is full/the lid won't shut you have to get rid before adding any more. You don't have to buy loads of containers, marge tubs, ice cream containers, shoe boxes will all do the job.

EllieA- How have you got on this w/end? :) Your kids are older than I'd realised. Could they help out in any other ways? My eldest (nearly) 11 walks to and from school with his 7yo sister, which for me is currently a godsend, cos most of my town has roadworks and a 20 min journey to work has turned into a 45 min one, without ds I'd be spending £17 a week on breakfast club.
  • craftdaft
    craftdaft Posts: 159 Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Hello, Craftdaft, I've had CFS/ME for 26 years now, doing paid work 4-5 hours a day and I struggle with that. I'd say you're going the right way about it, letting the family help you regain control and then hiring help in. I have a tiny home but there are still just as many mess-makers in it (bathroom fittings, stove, sink etc etc) just less room to clean around them. If I'm doing housework, it'll be a case of do a job, rest for 20 mins with a book or the internet, do another job, and try to potter thru the day without overdoing it. Try to be gentle with yourself, my dear, it's a pig of an illness to manage and sometimes people don't understand why you look "OK" but aren't coping too well. The important thing is to eat well and rest, otherwise you will relapse and that's to be avoided at all costs.

Take care and potter on :)

(((((Hugs ))))) GQ.

Thanks GreyQueen,

Although I know what I need to do it isn't always easy so thanks for reminding me I'm not the only one and your tips. There are three in my small house and I probably make the biggest mess (because I'll always tidy it tomorrow :rotfl::rotfl:). I must get into the habit of allowing 5 minutes to tidy up then DH and DD might try to be tidier too.

Thanks again,
    craftdaft
    Making small changes everyday....
  • Don't stress about the housework - it won't change anything whether you worry about it or not.

This may be a time when you have to put yourself first. Concentrate on going into hospital as stress-free as possible and after the op. concentrate on recovery. The sooner you are better, the sooner you can get back to your every-day life. As long as the bathroom and kitchen are hygenic nothing else really matters, you will all survive a bit of dust and even unironed clothes. Drip-drying on hangers might help with creases but if not, so what?

Could you arrange play dates for your children with some of their friends? You can always return the favour when you are well again. If you do, don't be tempted to get things done while they are out, make the most of the time to rest and let nature and sleep help to heal you.

I wish you the very best of luck and future good health.
  • How about asking family or friends to help out, in exchange fo a night of babysitting when you are fully recovered.

I say if that isnt possible do a littl at a time and dont over exert yourself and lower you standers for a while, your health is more important that the house work
    A quick recipe that may do you for one night and takes about ten minutes (its a bit like beans on toast but nicer) :
    - open 2 or 3 tins of beans and place into a casserole or some sort of oven dish
    - crack eggs on top
    - grate some cheese over it
    - bake in the oven til eggs are properly cooked (v important) usually ten mins or so and cheese is bubbling.
    - serve with toast or maybe a salad.
    get better soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family