»

Keeping on top of housework when you're ill or in other times of crisis?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Keeping on top of housework when you're ill or in other times of crisis?

edited 8 March 2011 at 6:31PM in Old Style MoneySaving
167 replies 30.5K views
Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
31.5K posts
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 8 March 2011 at 6:31PM in Old Style MoneySaving
There are a few things I'm falling behind on while I'm waiting for surgery and I wondered if you good people could give me some tips, please!

Here are the things I'm finding difficult:

Picking things up (it hurts.)
Moving furniture to sweep (I've got no energy.)
Cooking (the energy thing and also it makes me feel sick.)
Hoovering, changing bedding and laundry (DH trying his best to keep on top of all that.)

Here's what I've been doing so far:

I bought some decentish frozen food (like veggie sausages, fish fingers, nice burgers)
I've been buying ready to cook chopped veg/stirfries and lots of prepacked salads so I don't have to stand and chop.
I'm using the slow cooker (beef casserole in it at the moment.)
Getting the kids involved more in tidying their toys up.

Any other tips? It very quickly turns to chaos when I'm not bobbing around 'doing', especially because I'm not going out with the kids as much as usual.

Quick cooking ideas, easy housekeeping ideas and maybe some easy games to play with the kids that involve me sitting down! :o

Thanks. x (It's gall bladder surgery, nothing terrible!)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
May all your dots fall silently to the ground.

Replies

• carriebradshawcarriebradshaw Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few things I'm falling behind on while I'm waiting for surgery and I wondered if you good people could give me some tips, please!

Here are the things I'm finding difficult:

Picking things up (it hurts.)
    Moving furniture to sweep (I've got no energy.)
    Cooking (the energy thing and also it makes me feel sick.)
    Hoovering, changing bedding and laundry (DH trying his best to keep on top of all that.)

Here's what I've been doing so far:

I bought some decentish frozen food (like veggie sausages, fish fingers, nice burgers)
    I've been buying ready to cook chopped veg/stirfries and lots of prepacked salads so I don't have to stand and chop.
    I'm using the slow cooker (beef casserole in it at the moment.)
    Getting the kids involved more in tidying their toys up.

Any other tips? It very quickly turns to chaos when I'm not bobbing around 'doing', especially because I'm not going out with the kids as much as usual.

Quick cooking ideas, easy housekeeping ideas and maybe some easy games to play with the kids that involve me sitting down! :o

Thanks. x (It's gall bladder surgery, nothing terrible!)

get the kids involved as much as you can, I don't know how old they are but little things like clearing/laying the table for meals filling or emptying the washing machine,dusting tidying up etc can help and give your hubby more time to do the heavy things for you.

Also get hubby or the kids to set it all up so you can sit at the table to chop & prepare the veg etc

Hope all goes well and you feel better soon
  • misskoolmisskool Forumite
    12.8K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably not ideal but you could get a cleaner to help you out in the next few weeks? That would keep the cleaning bit done and get OH and children to help out doing small bits.

You could sit down at the table to prepare and chop veg?
  • Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't afford a cleaner. We're self employed and money is tight. The boys are 5 and 2. They do like to help lay the table etc. Thanks for that.
  • can you afford to get one of those stick aids that grab things that they sell in disability shops, or look on ebay - grrrr cant remember what the darn things are called!!!!!!!!!!!!! seen litter pickers with them too. would be a godsend if you cant persuade peeps not to leave stuff on floor!! a lot of housework can be achieved sitting down - ironing -preparing veg - stuff like that. as for hoovering or sweeping - cant OH do it? or older son - when my son was 5 he loved hoovering- job wasnt done to high standard but as its only temporary does that matter too much? kids usually love to think they are 'helping mummy when she is poorly' especially if you make real fuss of them - hand out stickers when they helpful etc.
    games to play sitting down - old fashioned board games like snakes and ladders - look in charity or pound shops. Cards - kids can play snap for hours. I-spy can be great fun with a two year old - remember oldest son at three starting with L we spent ages trying to guess gave in and answer was 'lectric'. lol
    hope this helps and hope everything goes well for you!
  • edited 4 September 2009 at 12:47PM
    newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 September 2009 at 12:47PM
    Do you have days that you have a little more energy? Cook double if you can?

Waitrose have a good roasted ratatouille recipe on their website that is even better reheated the following day - it's a bit of chopping but not too much. We had it with chicken breasts wrapped in bacon one day and then reheated with kippers/mackerel the following day.

Get the kids to make some twinks hobnobs? That'll occupy them - though the mess might not be such a good idea :rolleyes: What about making dried pasta pictures like we did at school? Or cards? Or that game dead fishes where they lie down and don't move, or musical statues where they dance till the music stops then have to freeze - you could be music master and judge ;)

If it's the bending down to pick things up that hurts then use kitchen tongs or something so you don't have to bend so far?

Other than that, buy food that you just bung in the oven with as little effort as possible - mine are:-

Gammon steaks (with instant mash :o and frozen veg)
    chicken breasts with pesto wrapped in bacon
    fish of any sort
    sausages
    packs of prepped veg that can be bunged on a tray and roasted

and oven chips too ;)

Or bean cassulet - chop and fry onion (or use frozen chopped ones), add garlic puree, herbs, three various tins of beans, one smoked pork sausage (or bacon) chopped up and a tin of tomatoes. Heat through - serve with garlic bread. Serves 4 adults or 3 if really hungry.
    working on clearing the clutter
  • Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tandraig wrote: »
    can you afford to get one of those stick aids that grab things that they sell in disability shops, or look on ebay - grrrr cant remember what the darn things are called!!!!!!!!!!!!! seen litter pickers with them too.
    I forgot about that. There's one in the cellar from when I was pregnant! :T:j
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K posts
    well I'd say let it go to pot to be honest. If you try and do to much now your recovery will take longer. Get hubby to do what he can, call in a couple of friends or relations to do anything they can (I'd happily make dinner and bung on a load of washing if a freind asked, or evne if they didn't) and remember nothing dreadful will happen if you don't pick up toys/ change the beds/ sweep the floor and eat froozen food for a couple of weeks

Lots of games of sleeping tigers for the kids and you concentrate on getting well
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • donny-galdonny-gal Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi GR sorry to hear you have to have an op.

Being a totally lazy housewife, I always cook two days worth of mash and veg soo that the second day is a freebie. DH will have to mash the spuds, DH or DS when he is here always do ours.

Do the big clean at the weekend and get DH to do it with you, when he can do the moving and shifting, and you can just nicely guide him, until he learns how to do it anyway.
    Forget the baking it always makes the kitchen covered in flour dust and messy.

The only other suggestion is one from after my hysterectomy many moons ago, was to keep doing the preparation in 10 minute bursts, with a good rest inbetween put the pan on the ring before you put the veg and water in, and then add the water via a jug, then there is no weight, and DH will be able to drain them for you and put them back for you to spoon out afterwards.

Good Luck - DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • How about asking family or friends to help out, in exchange fo a night of babysitting when you are fully recovered.

I say if that isnt possible do a littl at a time and dont over exert yourself and lower you standers for a while, your health is more important that the house work
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    28.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi hun, sorry to hear you're ill:( I got one of the pick up things from Home Bargains after my recent op, it was only about £2:D
    No idea about the housework and cooking though, as I tend to avoid both at the mo:rotfl::rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D