PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping on top of housework when you're ill or in other times of crisis?

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I think in cases of illness, it's probably psychologically better to have the house tidy than clean. It doesn't really matter if a little dust builds up but if you keep surfaces clear it's much quicker and easier. Ironing can generally go to pot, and nobody will know (or probably care) if the sheets are left on the bed for an extra week). Double batch cooking helps greatly, i.e. spaghetti bolognese sauce one day, add chilli and red kidney beans the next for chile cone carne, or add in some fozen mixed veg for a cottage pie. Have a competition with the children as to who can clear away their toys the quickest every night and if your children are small and you've got some magazines with big pictures in them, cut them out into jagged pieces to make freebie jigsaws for them to play with.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry no sure where to post this........

I just feel like going around and around in circles with housework, budgeting, cooking etc.

We are family of 3 adults and stepkids and gradchild stay 3 nights.

Kids make their own beds and well thats it...........I cook, clean, shop, do budget, cook, clean, shop.............you get the idea :(

Today so far I have

Made bed, done a wash, hung it out, washing wheelie bin out ( hate that job) cleaned kitchen , emptied dishwasher, hooovered and washed floors in 2 rooms, polished and dusted living room, cleaned leather suite, cleaned 3 mirrors,

Still to do

hoover and dust front room, sort out and put away clean clothes from washing yesterday and day before. Hoover bedrooms, Go get something for dinner, make dinner, after this kitchen floor will need washed again. Bathroom needs cleaned, do menus for next week adn shopping list for tomorrow.....................oh yes have BREAKFAST.

I know this does not seem a lot but I have health problems so am very slow and after a few minutes need to rest. Every day just never got to the end of teh list.

Have asked hubby will he hoover stairs tonight ( I cannot do them ) and windows need cleaned. I will take him WEEKS to do these two jobs. Do not get me wrong he works hard, is tired when he comes home, I am home all day so have time to do things just never get them finished. I have been trying to get around to hoovering bedroom for a week.

I know some people love housework, I try and keep on top of it but just never ends.:( I have tried flylady thread before but gave up after a few weeks.

Does anyone else feel like me?
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow, you seem to be working yourself into the ground. That is a LOT of cleaning even for a fit and healthy person. Is there any reason why the other adults can't help you? Yopu need to sit them down and ask for help - the physical exertion ansd stress can't be doing you much good.

Why are you washing your floors twice in a day? I must be a slattern but ours is done once a week if lucky!

Could you try shopping online - it saves time and saves your lists.

Best of luck.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think lots of people feel like you, especially if they have kids who aren't expected to contribute to chores either. Even five year olds can be expected to make their own beds, put their own laundry away and help clear the dishes after meals.

In your case I reckon it's a matter of doing as much as you are able, asking people to help to do what you can't and letting go of everything else. As long as there's food in the kitchen and the house isn't falling down all is well.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chika wrote: »
    Wow, you seem to be working yourself into the ground. That is a LOT of cleaning even for a fit and healthy person. Is there any reason why the other adults can't help you? Yopu need to sit them down and ask for help - the physical exertion ansd stress can't be doing you much good.

Why are you washing your floors twice in a day? I must be a slattern but ours is done once a week if lucky!

Could you try shopping online - it saves time and saves your lists.

Best of luck.

Thanks for reply

I was floor is kitchen as it is light coloured and shows every mark !!!! if you go out back at all it is covered in footprints, I have a mat at door but makes no difference. It is only kitchen floor done twice, not every day but most days.

The other adults, son only sleeps and eats here so does not think he has to do anything, just about manages to get his washing to wash backet at a push and with a lot of nagging and cleans his room when I threaten to go to it was bin bags.

I have done online shopping a few times and may start that again,
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    it sounds like you are doing alot you need to create a rota to split the jobs more equally the other memnbers of your family can and should be doing alot more for themselves. my girls are 9 and 6 and they both can change their bedding/load the washing machine/hoover/general tidy etc they are quite capable if my girls can then the rest of your household can do you sound like you need the rest
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    doelani wrote: »
    Thanks for reply

I was floor is kitchen as it is light coloured and shows every mark !!!! if you go out back at all it is covered in footprints, I have a mat at door but makes no difference. It is only kitchen floor done twice, not every day but most days.

The other adults, son only sleeps and eats here so does not think he has to do anything, just about manages to get his washing to wash backet at a push and with a lot of nagging and cleans his room when I threaten to go to it was bin bags.

I have done online shopping a few times and may start that again,

Ok so the floor shows every mark - let it!
    Just decide to wash it once a day and then live with it showing the marks for the rest of the day. No one is going to be inspecting it and marking you down for it not having a 100% clean kitchen floor!

For the son who only eats and sleeps at home and doesn't think he should help - stop feeding him!

You are making a rod for you own back, if you are not fit and well and doing all this is making your life a misery STOP DOING IT, the world won't end.

I'm not having a go, I used to be like you but have learnt to stop worrying about things so much, it makes life much more enjoyable.:)
    xx
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • doire_2
    doire_2 Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    Sorry but you are being too soft! Get the rest of them to help you out. if they dont then go on "strike" for a day or too and see how they feel then!
  • Ok so the floor shows every mark - let it!
    Just decide to wash it once a day and then live with it showing the marks for the rest of the day. No one is going to be inspecting it and marking you down for it not having a 100% clean kitchen floor!

For the son who only eats and sleeps at home and doesn't think he should help - stop feeding him!

You are making a rod for you own back, if you are not fit and well and doing all this is making your life a misery STOP DOING IT, the world won't end.

I'm not having a go, I used to be like you but have learnt to stop worrying about things so much, it makes life much more enjoyable.:)
    xx

Couldn't agree more!

My kitchen floor is light and always a mess! I am afraid that I don't have time to wash it once a day let alone twice but more importantly I don't let it worry me anymore. Decide for yourself what you can live with and then make a reasonable list of housework that really needs to be done- not should be. Who should it be done for?

Also if you son can make the clothes dirty he can wash them- he will soon learn to help if he hasn't nothing to wear and nothing to eat.

Please don't let anyone make you feel like you should be doing this- they are all adults and its not fair on you.

Good luck! Keep yourself well most importantly! :)
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    doelani wrote: »
    Thanks for reply

If he doesn't share room let him have his room in state that his choice, but tell that your simply not going to wash or clean his cloths any more. If he leaves them hanging around they'll be thrown into his room. You need to stand up to him don't let your self be pushed around.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure