Forum Home» Motoring

Diesel vs Petrol - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Diesel vs Petrol

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
336 replies 241.5K views

Replies

• fatboyonadietfatboyonadiet Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    peterbarker petrolbusters closed a few months ago, Martin did make attempts to get hold of it but they wouldn't let it go!

Done some rough calculations and a diesel tends to pay for itself after three years if you do around 10/12k mileage a year, that's also assuming you get the same for it as a petrol when you sell when you do actually get more.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • I bought a Picasso 2.0 HDI 12 months ago and it's the best thing i ever did. I get double the amount of miles than i got out of my old 1.4 Petrol. Also servicing intervals are longer for diesel. BELTINNN !!!
  • vansboyvansboy Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sianypooh, your Picasso will prefer more regular oil changes, now you've had it a year!& assuming you've done 10000 miles or so.

Please don't go with these extended service intervals, without an oil & filter change at least on each 5000 miles. & use semi synthetic diesel spec oil, too.

Your engine will then outlast the car!!

VB
  • I bought a second hand Golf TDI in 2000 and was disappointed that I didn't qualify for cheaper road tax. Got a longwinded response from the DOT - seemed to miss the point I was making that my car was at the time a current model so no more dirty than other cars it just wasn't new (and I was making better use of resources by re-using an existing car and not adding to the balance of payments deficit!!) I agree that the Govt's attitude is confused and rather mercenery.

Also, I live near the largest oil refinery in Europe and the diesel sold in the refinery petrol station is 88.9p (only 82.9p in Morrisons 20 miles away!) and 93.9p for their 'Ultimate' version (can you guess what oil company?). All the petrol and diesel comes from the same place - the oil company in question tip in barrels of additive to the actual petrol tankers (or at least used to). It does make you think twice about diesel
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    CossieMoJo wrote:
    I bought a second hand Golf TDI in 2000 and was disappointed that I didn't qualify for cheaper road tax. Got a longwinded response from the DOT - seemed to miss the point I was making that my car was at the time a current model so no more dirty than other cars it just wasn't new (and I was making better use of resources by re-using an existing car and not adding to the balance of payments deficit!!) I agree that the Govt's attitude is confused and rather mercenery.

Also, I live near the largest oil refinery in Europe and the diesel sold in the refinery petrol station is 88.9p (only 82.9p in Morrisons 20 miles away!) and 93.9p for their 'Ultimate' version (can you guess what oil company?). All the petrol and diesel comes from the same place - the oil company in question tip in barrels of additive to the actual petrol tankers (or at least used to). It does make you think twice about diesel
    I was hugely unimpressed with this when the GVED was brought in. There's no good reason for the simplistic approach taken on older cars - ancient banger under 1549cc which pollutes hugely = £105 and nearly-new car (mine) 1598cc which hardly pollutes = £160.

I understand that they couldn't come up with CO2 figures for all the ancient models on the road, but the figures were available for a large proportion of the nearly-new cars on the road, particularly those which were still current models. They took a lazy way out and penalised the less well off with slightly older cars - whilst clumsily benefitting some owners of polluting vehicles.

The subject of diesel/petrol price differentials surfaces all the time ... the accepted wisdom is that it's because there is higher demand for fuel oil (which is basically diesel without the additives) for central heating in the winter and hence the supply/demand balance pushes up the price of diesel. It almost always re-balances in the summer.
  • Whilst we're on about fuel pricing, does anyone know a website which gives the local 'best-value' price of fuel, now that the AA's closed theirs down on their website recently.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • lompnazlompnaz Forumite
    1 posts
    solarstone wrote:

In France, Diesel is a fraction of the cost of petrol, why can't that be so here !?

Would that it was! At my local supermarket, diesel is about 1 euro per litre, petrol about 10 centimes more. The differential is disappearing rapidly.

Note for holidaymakers - French supermarket diesel is not the same as that sold at garages. It lacks the additives of the more expensive diesel; I now use it rarely - the garage fuel gives me better consumtion and performance. Supermarket diesel has been linked to failure of engines using Common Rail injection systems (HDi, dCi, etc)
  • willc01willc01 Forumite
    4 posts
    I travel about 40,000 mile a year, mostly motorway driving in a vectra 2.2 diesel. By cutting my speed down to around 65mph and allowing slightly longer for my journeys, I now get artound 55 miles to the gallon compared to before when i raced everywhere at about 40 MPG. Where does the extra money go, in MY pocket :T . They are far more effiecent in fuel consumption. Show me a similar sized petrol car that does the same. :j

The government haven't increased taxes on diesel any more than they have on petrol, it is the oil companies cottining on that there are more people buying diesel cars. :mad:

When I had my first diesel car some time ago diesel was 1p cheaper than petrol. Why? Becauyse the oil companys are greedy. It costs no more to produce than petrol does. Perhaps we should get :money: to knock on their door for us and badger the directors until they take action.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willco01
    My understanding is that diesel is actually cheaper to produce than petrol since it is less refined (I could be wrong here though). Also the government did slap additional duty onto diesel a few years ago.

As far as servicing a car more often than the handbook says it is not necessary. Modern oils (especially synthetic oils) last much longer than the service interval. I believe that service intervals are deliberately kept low to offer a source of revenue for garages and dealers and are, in the main unnecessary. As a poor student I had one car that I clocked up over 50K miles on without a single service and it never gave me a day of trouble (the only thing I did was replace the front brake pads .. once). I also remember reading about some car that had a service interval of 100K (possibly the Cadillac Seville?).

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • diesel is 2p a litre more around here, as previously mentioned
    82.9 v 80.9