Diesel vs Petrol

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    solarstone wrote:
    ...continuing on, why is Diesel about 6p a litre (in places) more than unleaded ?? Government don't miss a trick do they.

In France, Diesel is a fraction of the cost of petrol, why can't that be so here !?
    The tax on unleaded petrol and ULSD is the same. It's not the government, in this instance.
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    JayS wrote:
    Yes I could have quoted more from the link; however, as this thread was specifically about diesel vs petrol, I decided to only quote the relevant quote which, as you decided to omit, continues:
    Your quote taken out of context is highly distortive, implying certainty; whereas the rest of the article suggests that not enough is known to form authoritative opinion. PM10's are also produced by petrol-fuelled cars.

A few years ago, the opinions of a professor in a certain Midlands university were highly quoted to the effect that diesel was responsible for a high proportion of illness related to airborne pollution. The 'research' was paid for by companies that could hardly be seen to have impartial interest in the subject.

It is a good idea to debate the subject, but not with false or unsupported evidence.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is substantial evidence that whilst brand new diesel cars (and I'm exclusing those with particulate traps, which are very clean indeed) might pollute somewhat more than brand new petrol cars, the emissions from diesel cars remain at a similar level through their lives whilst those from petrol cars get progressively worse as the car ages. Poorly maintained petrol cars are particularly prone to high levels of emission - and of course many people only get this checked once a year when they have their MOT.
  • andy88_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Also the emissions from a petrol fuelled car depend on the catalyst being warmed up, which takes a few miles. Apart from carbon dioxide, my diesel car makes less pollution on a 50 mile trip than a petrol car makes in the first 5 miles.
  • skdotcom
    skdotcom Posts: 134 Forumite
    I'm looking to buy a secondhand Audi A4 avant (estate). I've been considering their 130bhp Turbo diesel, but it seems to command an extra £1000 over the equivalent Turbo petrol model. I can't see me saving any more than £500 a year in fuel, so I'm finding it hard to justify the added cost of a diesel.
  • jjames_3
    jjames_3 Posts: 363 Forumite
    It depends on what diesel you're talking about. Small cars with diesel engines I've never understood, they're horrible little things. Larger cars with better soundproofing etc can dull the negative aspects (noise, smell, vibration) of a diesel a lot better.

The main problem I have with diesels is I consider reliability to be of greater importance than cost savings as a private buyer, and therefore favour Japanese cars. The Japanese don't make very good diesel engines sadly.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Tony_H wrote:
    Due to an accident I was forced to change from a 1.8 Auto using £3120 of petrol per year. My fuel costs alone have been reduced by a massive £2080 per year as I have changed to a Diesel vehicle.

If you do more than 6000 miles per year you should be looking at a Diesel to make substancial savings.

Could you enlighten us on how you calculate those figures?

Most 1.8 Autos will do 25-30mpg or more overall. Even with diesel at the same price - which it isn't - you have a car doing 75-90mpg overall?

There have been plenty of studies on the potential savings of diesel over pertrol cars. Bearing in mind the higher cost of initial purchase, more expensive fuel, and(normally) higher servicing costs, conventional wisdom is that the break even point is 15-20,000 miles per year.

There is also evidence that repairs on the new high pressure common rail diesels are becoming a major expense for higher mileage cars. Replacement of the whole pump assembly at a cost exceeding £1,000.

Because we have to regularly put our hand into our pocket for cash or plastic to pay for fuel, we sometimes get a fixation about fuel costs.

If we take two 10,000 mile a year motorists, one with a petrol car averaging 35mpg and a diesel 50mpg(and the differential would generally be less than this for similar size cars) the diesel would save about £300 per year in fuel costs. Worth having, but small beer in the overall cost of running a car when you consider that depreciation alone can be measured in £thousands per year.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    peterbaker wrote:
    I recently hired a four door Nissan Micra DCi from Hertz for a mix of motorway and mountain. Its a small car with a diesel engine, it was comfortable (I am 6'4") and it was quiet, it had good acceleration and was stable at high speed and it was not smelly where I sat! I did over 550km in it and when I got back to the airport I only had to put 20 Euros of diesel in it to get it up to the mark! (I already noticed the needle didn't move for the first 100km and that was the only fault I could find!).

Oh and its Japanese!

Japanese name granted; but made in Sunderland.
  • andy88_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cardew wrote:
    Japanese name granted; but made in Sunderland.
    and isn't the engine French?
  • andy88_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But other Japanese cars have good Japanese engines despite being late into the fray - Honda, Toyota
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure