Forum Home» Motoring

Diesel vs Petrol - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Diesel vs Petrol

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
336 replies 241.5K views

Replies

• robby-01robby-01 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Itried to get hold of a diesel 550 maranello a couple of years ago.Couldn't get one for love nor money.So I had to settle for the petrol version .Aint life cruel.
  • N9eavN9eav Forumite
    4.7K posts
    One thing to consider.. Diesel cars need servicing every 5-6000 miles where petrol can be 10-12000. Petrol is 28p a gallon cheaper than diesel in some garages. Saying that The extra MPG with a diesel seems worth the effort.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee! I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    N9eav wrote:
    One thing to consider.. Diesel cars need servicing every 5-6000 miles where petrol can be 10-12000. Petrol is 28p a gallon cheaper than diesel in some garages. Saying that The extra MPG with a diesel seems worth the effort.

Fortunately I get a company car and the lease covers the cost of maintenance but time is an issue so I will have to check that out when deciding what to have.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • MarkR_2MarkR_2 Forumite
    276 posts
    I am well and truly converted to Diesal.
    I had my last diesal for about 4 years and changed last year to another diesal. We also changed wifes car to a diesal last year. The mpg makes a big difference to amount we have to spend on fuel, although I must admit its worrying the way that diesal is getting more and more expensive than petrol, from being cheaper a few years ago.
    The downside of diesal? well when start up from cold theres no mistaking its a diesal engine! and yes oil and filter is best changed every 5000 miles, theres the smellier fuel pumps too. The old arguments about performance are getting weaker with each new crop of diesal engines; I still prefer mpg to mph tho!
    Positives are more mpg, longer lasting engines (over 150 000 miles on my last one with no signs of it ) . And in true money saving style the Great feeling its costing less to get from A to B than it would have in a petrol vehicle the same size or smaller.
    Nope.... Still cant think of owt interesting to put here.
  • more recent diesels have intervals of 12500 to 20000 miles. Mines in for £300 big service next week; 50000 miles so far, and all I've done so far is change the oil myself
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just changed my main car and the shopping list was very short. It had to be a 5 door diesel that could do 0-60 in under 12 seconds and cost less than £11K. I am on my 4th diesel car simply because I do over 20K miles per year.

Overall the figures seem to show that diesel is actually a cleaner burning fuel than petrol with the exception of carbon particulates. My new car does however meet the new European standards for emissions - must have some form of carbon trap in the exhaust. CO2 emissions on my new car are about 125 whereas on my other (petrol) car they are about 165 (which is quite good for a petrol).

I think GB is going to have to consider his taxation policy on diesel since it is having an effect on inflation with many hauliers getting up in arms over the cost. We might see another strike over the cost of fuel ........

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • lellielellie Forumite
    1.5K posts
    N9eav wrote:

my pug 307 diesel has a 12000 mile or 2 year servicing gap. i challenge you to find a petrol car with a 2 year servicing gap!!!

also, try driving a petrol up a hill, the diesel will kick its !!!!!! any day, more torque!
  • N9eav wrote:
    Petrol is 28p a gallon cheaper than diesel in some garages.
    Wrong garages then; 2p a litre (9 a gallon) seems the biggest margin I've seen.

Ivan's got a point on the diesel price compared to other countries. But the difference is not so large any more. €0.95~1.10 = 67~77p. Some countries, petrol is more expensive than here, so if the hauliers start jumping up and down again, they don't deserve widespread support.
  • JayS_3JayS_3 Forumite
    318 posts
    Andy88 wrote:
    To avoid misbalancing the argument for people who don't follow the link, you could have prefaced this:

Unproved I think; nor is it certain that PM10s come mostly from diesel cars only. Tests in certain parts of USA only a few years ago discovered more than 50% of airborne pollution in urban areas came from fast-food establishments

Yes I could have quoted more from the link; however, as this thread was specifically about diesel vs petrol, I decided to only quote the relevant quote which, as you decided to omit, continues:

"The most likely culprit are PM10s, microscopically small particles given off by diesel engines, coal burning, mining, construction and quarrying. These particles can penetrate deep into the lung and are known to worsen existing heart or respiratory problems."
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    tony_H wrote:
    Due to an accident I was forced to change from a 1.8 Auto using £3120 of petrol per year. My fuel costs alone have been reduced by a massive £2080 per year as I have changed to a Diesel vehicle.

If you do more than 6000 miles per year you should be looking at a Diesel to make substancial savings.
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment, your figures are rubbish. You are claiming to have reduced fuel costs by two thirds??? I don't think so.