Forum Home» Motoring

Diesel vs Petrol - Page 34

New Post Advanced Search

Diesel vs Petrol

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
336 replies 241.5K views
1282930313234»

Replies

• Haven't heard of any common issues with the 1.6 petrol Ford lump apart from maybe being a bit low on power.
    If you don't do huge mileages then the fuel costs are unlikely to be a big issue.

Though not all TDCi engines had a DPF and you may be able to find a 1.8 or 2.0 diesel without one.

The 1.6 TDCi is the same as in Citroens/Peugeots and Volvos. And is not an engine I would have outside of manufacturers warranty.

The 1.8 TDCi engine is a bit old school and the 2.0 TDCi would be my favourite, the caveat being I would prefer a non DPF one. But I do more miles than your wife does.

All things considered the 1.8 petrol likely fills your needs perfectly
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of whether it has a DPF or not, a diesel engine wont thrive on such a low mileage.

You need a petrol or some sort of hybrid/electric
  • cheers for the advice guys, I think hybrid/electric will be way out of our price range. We are planning on moving house next year, so we want to spend as little as possible and not take out any finance so that we can afford (and be accepted for) the mortgage that we would like.

I would probably agree with you about the 1.8 petrol, yes it's £60 a year extra for tax, but, as you have quite rightly said, a diesel engine would not be suitable for the amount of milage she does.

Now, 1.8 or 2.0??? lol

Thanks for all your advice
  • bowlhead99bowlhead99 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burger wrote: »
    Now, 1.8 or 2.0??? lol

Thanks for all your advice
    If you've decided on the petrol - and you won't be using more than a couple of hundred gallons of it a year, at your mileage - then the 3% difference in mpg under test conditions for the 1.8 vs 2.0 is neither here nor there. And there's no extra tax for getting the better engine. Just small differences in insurance cost. So, I would go for the larger engine with better performance.

Presumably your wife won't be taking it to trackdays or blasting down autobahns so she may not care whether it will do 121mph or 127mph and if she's not drag-racing perhaps she doesn't give a flying fig abut 0-60 performance. However, if you are driving an MPV packed with kids and dogs onto a busy roundabout or motorway on-ramp, would you prefer the one that has the poke to get you from 0-60 in just under 10 seconds, or the one that takes at least an extra second longer?

You mention a pretty wide budget of £3-5k. If you really have £5k you'll find plenty of 2008 2.0 cars around. If your budget is really only £3k (i.e. 40% lower) because you want to have more spare for your mortgage etc, then you'll have more of a challenge and will need to decide whether to compromise on age, spec, condition, mileage, engine size etc. Really, now they've all had 7-8 years of depreciation on them, the price differential to get a 2.0 instead of 1.8 is not very much - it's much more influenced by mileage, service history, condition.
  • arcon5arcon5 Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the calculations on a 1.6L Ford Focus for both diesel and petrol variants as I've decided to change my Mondeo. Working on the 17,000 miles I do a year and based on this weeks prices for diesel and petrol I would save roughly £370 a year. The diesel Focus is about £1000 more than the petrol one. The difference in the initial purchase price would take 3 years to recoup. The diesel will sell for more than the petrol but after 3 years the difference is likely to be £500-£750. Therefore with the Focus you'd have to own the diesel for four years and do over 60,000 miles in that time to break even with owning the petrol version.

However the calculations for my 2L MK3 Mondeo were completely different. When I bought it, again the difference between the petrol and diesel 2L was £1000. Over the 5 years/75000 miles I've owned it, the savings in fuel costs alone over the 2L petrol meant the car is effectively free as I saved about £900 a year and its still worth at least a bag of sand even if I put it through the auction.

MPG is a cockeyed way of determining which will cost you least money. You have to maintain these cars remember...

Fuel pump and injectors for example of a petrol (exlcuding more modern direct injection) are significantly lower than than of a diesel. A focus for example you could be looking at £50 & £15 respectively for a petrol model versus £500 and £200 for a diesel. Then factor in emissions controls like egr and dpf. Okay more petrols nowadays are using EGR valves also but not the dpf which can easily hit £1k when it goes wrong.

That's without even looking at the fact most diesels will have DMFs.
  • anotherbaldrickanotherbaldrick Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    arcon5 wrote: »
    MPG is a cockeyed way of determining which will cost you least money. You have to maintain these cars remember...

Fuel pump and injectors for example of a petrol (exlcuding more modern direct injection) are significantly lower than than of a diesel. A focus for example you could be looking at £50 & £15 respectively for a petrol model versus £500 and £200 for a diesel. Then factor in emissions controls like egr and dpf. Okay more petrols nowadays are using EGR valves also but not the dpf which can easily hit £1k when it goes wrong.

That's without even looking at the fact most diesels will have DMFs.

And with new ones rather suspect AdBlue technology (google adblue problems)
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)