We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…132133135137138…235

Comments

  • Unfortunately as with most things it will end up coming down to interpretation of codes, laws etc - and if the above is the General Condition that applies here then I'd say OFCOM are unlikely to agree that everyone can cancel, only those likely affected, and I think Orange's method of determining this (the 3 month rule) is probably good enough.

    But that's just my interpretation, put up for debate - like I said it will be interesting to see what happens next.

    Regards,

    It's all just become so confusing, and what doesn't help is extremely rude, patronising and unprofesional call centre staff making it up as they go along, I was told twice on Saturday that the new changes had all gone through OFCOM etc, and we all know now that was a load of BS!!!

    Quick question :- I have made a few 0870 calls in the last few days since calling Orange to Cancel, my new bill is out on the 17th of this months and those calls will show up on that bill, do you think this will qualify me to cancel now even though I was refused previously?
  • jase301
    jase301 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    What happens with the people trying to cancel who have been with Orange less than 3 months? Any ideas?
  • 4810510
    4810510 Posts: 132 Forumite
    dacouch wrote: »

    Interesting thing to note here from this article is that Ofcom terms refer to a material detriment but O terms just refer to detriment. If the O contract did say 'material detriment' then you would need to show loss or potential loss but it doesn't. Basically 'material detriment' means that it would actually cost you money, and it couldn't just be a couple of pence. If you read the O T&Cs (I've posted them previously and Bitterwallet quote them) the word material doesn't appear.

    Anyone who wants to cancel MUST ensure that they call customer services and have a note put on their account saying that they don't accept the new charges. Take the name and ext number of the CSR you speak to and then call back after 10 minutes or so to make sure the note is on the account. Long and short of it is Orange will be obliged to cancel the contracts without penalty but I think there is a bit of fighting to be done yet.
  • 4810510
    4810510 Posts: 132 Forumite
    I'm staying neutral on this whole thing, I would say that on one side I can see Orange not being consistent which will cause issues, but on the other hand I can see people on this very thread cancelling with glee and getting a new Orange contract the next day.

    However,

    GC 9.3 Where the Communications Provider intends to modify a condition in a contract with a Consumer which is likely to be of material detriment to the Consumer, the Communications Provider shall:

    I'd guess that it's only likely to be a material detriment if the customer has incurred the recently-increased charges in the last 3 months. Under this GC I don't think Orange even has to allow a cancellation, but then I'm not OFCOM's lawyers :)

    Best of luck,

    I know that you have been helpful to people here and I praise Mobiles.co.uk for having a rep on here (Orange have one too!!!) but can I just point out that GC9.3 is a condition between Ofcom and Orange. It doesn't apply to Orange contracts with consumers. The relevant Orange contract term states "4.3 You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment."

    Orange offer better terms than the Ofcom minimum standard because they don't apply the 'material' test.
  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    4810510 wrote: »
    I know that you have been helpful to people here and I praise Mobiles.co.uk for having a rep on here (Orange have one too!!!) but can I just point out that GC9.3 is a condition between Ofcom and Orange. It doesn't apply to Orange contracts with consumers. The relevant Orange contract term states "4.3 You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment."

    Orange offer better terms than the Ofcom minimum standard because they don't apply the 'material' test.

    All true, but I guess the question is "do OFCOM have grounds to get involved", and as they can only enforce their own agreements I suspect not - so then we move onto the ombudsman, or revert to UTCCR or plain old case law.

    To be fair, although obviously there's 70 pages here and on some other sites, I think everyone here (other than those who believed me 4 days ago!) would be surprised just how few customers Orange are going to lose over this.

    Regards,
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi guys,

    Been monitoring the forums regarding the price changes and cancellations etc. Proud to say after my 5th phonecall (including one to both OFCOM and the office at orange required by ofcom) I managed to get it done. Came through and said "i'd like to cancel the remainder of my contract as per the T&C change please". The guy put me on hold after completing security etc and came back and said, "ok thats fine..just to let you know you credit rating if bad may affect you gaining another contract etc blah blah." I showed a little respect after losing the rag the previous 2 calls with the advisors. This was exhasperated by the 3rd CSA hanging up on me after not being to answer the questions i asked. Coincidently i asked the last guy if i bought a sim on orange would i be able to use that in my phone (just to butter him up i think) he said it would be fine and my PAC would be with me in 3 working days.

    I think its really down to who you get, i was on the same boat as most here but made a wee call to my bank for about 10 mins and one to NHS direct which are both 08 numbers and i think that helped.

    Moral of the story is "KEEP TRYING" luck of the draw i suspect. (guy sounded tired and dejected)

    Mark
  • marty1888
    marty1888 Posts: 469 Forumite
    I ........ would be surprised just how few customers Orange are going to lose over this.

    Regards,

    Aye right ye are chief, just keep spinning that line. If Orange werent losing that many customers they wouldnt be going to the lengths they are at present to stop customers from cancelling.
  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    marty1888 wrote: »
    Aye right ye are chief, just keep spinning that line. If Orange werent losing that many customers they wouldnt be going to the lengths they are at present to stop customers from cancelling.

    Thanks for your comments, but how does it benefit us or Orange for me to say that ("spin")?

    People have speculated that this is costing Orange millions of pounds, for instance. Just saying that I don't think this is anywhere near accurate.

    Seem to recall people arguing that Orange weren't going to use a 3 month rule, too :)
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 635 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    It is Orange's inconsistency that is seen by many as unprofessional and unfair. They should have agreed a policy, after proper legal advice, and stuck by it.

    It has been the luck of the draw as to which rep you speak to as to whether you can cancel or not. I, and many others tried a few times until a "friendly" rep agreed to cancel.

    Orange have got all they have asked for and should have realised sites like this would quickly highlight there error and members would jump on the bandwagon.
  • gh1990
    gh1990 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I just spoke to customer services through 150 and was told that i am still not eligible. The main reason for ringing was that a member of staff was meant to return a call whom i spoke to on Friday and hasn't. She said that neither her or her manager was able to cancel a contract. I asked her to place on my notepad that i formally reject the new terms and conditions which she said she was unable to do. She just suggested going through Ofcom who she had said had already been in contact with Orange and told them they were fine with what they were doing. I told her i was already taking the matter up with Ofcom and Orange were investigating. I challenged her about the 3 month average rule and asked her where in the terms and conditions i agreed to that and she couldn't give me an answer. I then challenged her about future use and how i may exceed my contract and she just said it wont affect you. Its like a broken record now. Lies and excuses.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.