PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Comments

• Cat501
    Cat501 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Our local greengrocer can be awful for prices - a few months ago a kilo of ordinary loose washed carrots was £1.39 compared to 56p in Mr A, Mr T AND Mr M&S! IIRC unwashed were even dearer.

I phoned their head office and complained but didn't really get much of an explanation :(
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How about www.rosspa.co.uk for online shopping. Prices are cheap and reviews here are good. Not sure if the delivery charge would rule it out as cheaper but worth looking at
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2012 at 7:53PM
    hi my greengrocer is sooooo expensive he has went all modern.......EVERYTHING is prepacked now before you could have went in and bought 1 onion or a few mushrooms or 3 bananas now its all in punnets and sky high prices i wont go in there now, i like L£dles for a few things and mr t reduced stuff i find i can nearly always get loads of f&v in there or do what a lot do me included grow your own i am waiting on mine growing if it all succeeds and it looks like i getting a great harvest this year i will have, beetroot,lettuce (already eating this),beans ,peas,onions,garlic,scallions,purple sprouting broccolli,cauliflower, a glut of balackcurrants bushes are heaving, raspberries, and loads of strawberries just turnibg red and potatoes,i dont have a big garden and this all came from 4-5 packs out of pound shop!! so its worth giving it a go.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I've just joined back to a veg box scheme. It's different to Riverford and all that which offer a USP of being organic etc. My scheme is one based on value.

I get the small box for "families of one or two", which is £9.95 a box. Their medium box is about £17. Worth a look to see if they deliver in your area. They're good at sourcing the majority of the products from the UK which I like. And if ever anythign is wrong they were always fantastic in the past with refunds etc.

I only stopped using them as I moved to an area they didn't deliver in.

You can view the site here and do a post code check

LC
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    try your local wholesale market.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    elsiepac wrote: »
    I've just joined back to a veg box scheme. It's different to Riverford and all that which offer a USP of being organic etc. My scheme is one based on value.

I get the small box for "families of one or two", which is £9.95 a box. Their medium box is about £17. Worth a look to see if they deliver in your area. They're good at sourcing the majority of the products from the UK which I like. And if ever anythign is wrong they were always fantastic in the past with refunds etc.

I only stopped using them as I moved to an area they didn't deliver in.

You can view the site here and do a post code check

LC

I think that's the best value veg box I've seen! Unfortunately they don't deliver to my area.
    I'm getting really frustrated by expensive vegetables since moving house, in the local town mr S is the cheapest :eek: I would happily buy 1kg spinach, 10kg carrots, 5kg beets etc or any funky shaped veg every week but have yet to find anywhere that does this at a reasonable price.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    We generally buy at Sains as well. The basics fruit/veg are good there and reasonably priced. We buy tons of apples, bananas, and pears for the children, as well as other stuff.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Costco isn't cheap, but it is good quality that lasts.

We've recently found a decent fruit and veg stall / stand it is vastly superior and a vast amount cheaper than the supermarkets.:j

Lidls tend to be ok it's a case of picking what looks ok.:o
  • The box scheme doesn't deliver to me either :(
    happily married since
    :love:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Keep an eye on the fields round where you live .... they grow caulis for Tesco near me and they're right by the roadside... it'd only take a sharp knife and about 10 paces from the road to get one ...... on the other hand, keeping an eye out for gate sales I can actually pay honest money for them at 50p/caulli.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure