PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

1161718192022»

Comments

• anna-marie
    anna-marie Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I find Aldi the cheapest for fresh stuff but as you're not near one I think you can do very well with Tesco and asda.

On the NHS choices website there is a table of exactly what weight of dried, tinned, frozen, fresh and juiced fruit/veg/beans/pulses make 1 of your five a day. Using that info you can work out which products are the cheapest in terms of cost per portion rather than per kilo. It's sometimes surprising.

I usually find fresh root vegetables to work out about 5p a portion (budget, bulk types) and frozen basics about 6p. Those are the cheapest I can find and what I use to bulk up most meals.

Why do you want to emphasise raw food though? Cooking veg doesn't always destroy nutrients - sometimes it makes them more accessible. I think you need a mixture:)
  • HeadAboveWater
    HeadAboveWater Posts: 3,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Tesco's and Asda usually have quite a lot of reduced fruit and veg by the afternoon. Quite often we would buy straight after work and eat that night so it's not left to rot. Saves a lot of money getting it in the reduced section.
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Laura,

We have an existing thread on the cheapest way to buy veg so I've added your thread to it to keep the advice together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport