Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Cheapest Way to Five a Day. - Page 22

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

edited 7 July 2009 at 8:29PM in Old Style MoneySaving
213 replies 37.7K views
1161718192022»

Replies

• I find Aldi the cheapest for fresh stuff but as you're not near one I think you can do very well with Tesco and asda.

On the NHS choices website there is a table of exactly what weight of dried, tinned, frozen, fresh and juiced fruit/veg/beans/pulses make 1 of your five a day. Using that info you can work out which products are the cheapest in terms of cost per portion rather than per kilo. It's sometimes surprising.

I usually find fresh root vegetables to work out about 5p a portion (budget, bulk types) and frozen basics about 6p. Those are the cheapest I can find and what I use to bulk up most meals.

Why do you want to emphasise raw food though? Cooking veg doesn't always destroy nutrients - sometimes it makes them more accessible. I think you need a mixture:)
  • Tesco's and Asda usually have quite a lot of reduced fruit and veg by the afternoon. Quite often we would buy straight after work and eat that night so it's not left to rot. Saves a lot of money getting it in the reduced section.
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Laura,

We have an existing thread on the cheapest way to buy veg so I've added your thread to it to keep the advice together.

Pink