PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Options

Comments

• imogen-p
    imogen-p Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I buy more veg than fruit, with the main ones each week being, potatoes, onions, carrots, peppers, frozen peas, green beans, sweet potato, mushrooms and leeks. I'm growing my own lettuce at the moment so not having to buy that.

I also buy up anything that has been reduced and I know I can use - like a 750g bag of asparagus for 19p currently frozen to be turned into soup.

Mainly get apples and bananas as fruit as they are the main ones DH and DS will eat, that and raisins and semi-dried mango.
    Hoping that the allotment will provide a good amount this summer, currently have raspberries, peas, sorrel and runner beans growing, with some butternut squash plant waiting to go in later this month.

I usually buy from the market, although if the supermarket has got offers on I'll go there instead.
    Unofficial Debt Free Wannabee.
    April 2010. Loan 1 £4650 Loan 2 £1140 credit card £332 overdraft £1475

Oct 2011. Loan 1 £3400 Loan 2 £0:D Credit Card £199 Overdraft £800

Oct 2011. Loan 1 £0 Loan 2 £0 Credit Card £0 Overdraft £0:D
  • Pazu
    Pazu Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Like you I used to buy everything but since January I've been living on my own and have had a huge drop in income. Fortunately we have wild plum, blackberry, walnut and chestnut trees near us. I foraged for as much as possible knowing I was going to be broke and stored it all in the freezer. I also made preserves with sloes, elderberries and crab apples. I have rhubarb, goosberries and currents in the garden. I have just emptied the last of the stuff from the freezer and have put in some rhubarb. I am waiting on elderflower for wine and cordial.

HTH
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weekly, potatoes, carrots, onions, turnip, broccoli, cauliflower.

Fruit, apples, bananas and clementines.

Will buy other bits from time to time, berries in summer etc.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • sharloid
    sharloid Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    I buy bananas and that's about it for fruit. Lately I've discovered that my local Morrison's do good mark downs on fruit such as bags of apples, pears and punnets of strawberries for 15p!

As for veg, I buy carrots and onions fresh, have tinned peas and frozen green beans, broccoli and sweetcorn.
  • Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All our fruit and veg comes from the local greengrocer with the exception of bagged spinach and bunched herbs, which I buy from the local fishmonger.

Like a few posters here, we eat mostly veg with probably about a 1/5 to a 1/4 of the whole shop being fruit.

We eat loads of onions; brown, red, spring, small pickling. shallots, leeks, carrots, peppers (chili and sweet), asparagus, aubergines, cucumber, tomatoes, cauliflower, cabbage (white and dark green), mushrooms, old potatoes, new potatoes, peas (in the pod, when avaliable), courgette, spinach, green beans, swede, lemons, bananas and possibly a few others that I just can't think of at the moment.
    All these we eat regularly at least once a week; apart from onions which are eaten more or less every day at some point, so I always make sure we have a supply of all of them.

I've never taken the time to reckon-up how much it costs on a weekly basis, but suspect it's somewhere between £15 and £20 for the three of us. That might sound like a lot of money to some, but we all love fresh veg and I suspect it makes up for at least a 1/3 of our diet, so it's money well spent in my view, and I'd much prefer to spend money on them rather than living out of pre-prepared boxes and packets from a supermarket / freezer shop.
  • EstherH
    EstherH Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    I buy apples, oranges, bananas, carrots and onions fresh as a weekly buy. Also frozen peas, sweetcorn and broccoli. Sometimes buy frozen peppers, leeks and mushrooms. Also buy grapes when on offer and melons on offer. Peaches, necterines strawberries in summer. Frozen berries sometimes to make smoothies.
    Second purse £101/100
    Third purse. £500 Saving for Christmas 2014
    ALREADY BANKED:
    £237 Christmas Savings 2013
    Stock Still not done a stock check.
    Started 9/5/2013.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Lots of ideas here. I would add that tinned fruit in juice is quite relatively cheap and I sometimes buy that. I do buy frozen veg at times and will look for frozen berries. However, the strawberry season will soon be upon us when they become quite cheap.

I absolutely love gooseberries but never seem to see them in the shops. My favourite veg are peas in the pod.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I have an allotment so am self-sufficient for spuds 12 months of the year and have still got the last of the peas and broad beans which I froze when they glutted last summer.

:) I want to have fruit bushes up there eventually but this is a longer-term goal based on clearing an extra bit of land and might not be producing fruit for 2-3 years.

:) I have an independant greengrocer 10 mins walk away who has a "whoopsies" box which is 3 bagfuls for £1 although he'll often let you have 4 for £1 if there's a lot of stuff and it's late in the day. Couple of days ago my £1 got me a bag of 8 apples and 2 bags of grapes, so that's me sorted for a few days. I virtually live off that and my lottie......love my greengrocer to pieces.

:) I keep my eyes peeled whenever I'm in a supermarket for a bargain and was pleased to snaffle 3 mixed peppers for £1 in ASDA last week, not a store I normally frequent but I'd gone in as far as Customer Services to recharge my mobile credit and there they were!

:o Plus I also forage in the city; know where to get wild plums, blackberries, sloes and walnuts in season. Have just checked on the wild plum trees; the fruit is set and looking like it'll be a bumper crop this summer.....
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we have a weekly veg box from riverford and a fruit box once every 3/4 weeks. we love potatoes of course, courgettes, onions, garlic, asparagus, peas, sweetcorn, carrots, raw cabbage and any salad veg. i am growing som beans this year aswell. fruitwise we eat a fair amount of apples, oranges, bananas and grapes. we eat more veg than fruit.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • Elmo1985
    Elmo1985 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    We are a Aldi super 6 eaters lol - depending what is on and buy most of our veg frozen from Iceland or SP from ASDA :D
    Sealed Pot challenge" member #1342 Online Saver £60.00
    :mad:DEMONS :mad:: Lookagain £1358 // Debenhams £
    [STRIKE]767[/STRIKE] // Cap1 [STRIKE]£141.00[/STRIKE] // OD £800.00
    Official DFW Nerd #1385 - Proud to be dealing with my debt!
    Pay one debt 2012! £0 / £800

:jBaby Girl born 25/09/11:j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family