PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Options

Comments

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aldi or Lidl?
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • diluvsdiscounts
    diluvsdiscounts Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Try Jonnagold apples from Morrisons they are lovely and half the price of all the others about 56p kg I think.
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    Aldi Super 6 is all fruit this week - can't remember what they are but does include apples, cherries and bananas - all for 69p per pack. Super 6 offer changes every fortnight and has prices between 39p and 69p per pack.

Otherwise try to find a greengrocer or try the market.

All the above will generally have better prices than the supermarket unless the latter has special offers.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • lauracusack
    lauracusack Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a morrissons or Aldi I can get to unfortunately :(
    happily married since
    :love:
  • hattifattener
    Options
    Greengrocers are usually pretty good on price compared to mr T's I find. We try to use Lidl if we can get there. And we unfortunately have resigned ourselves to getting the 'cheap' stuff. I bulk up my fruit bowl on apples, bananas and pears and only get soft fruit if it's cheap/in season. Have a look at price per kilo, usually you save a packet by choosing the loose fruit and veg over say a bag of apples or potatoes. But, having said that sometimes value range fruit and veg in packets is cheaper, and usually still tastes nice.
    MFW start date:22.6.13 - £138555 9.7.13 - £125937
    MFD: [STRIKE]November 2039[/STRIKE] October 2035

2013 OP: £14172
    2014 OP aim: £0/£3000
  • lauracusack
    Options
    I do tend to buy by the kilo as I'm pretty obsessive about getting the best value :)
    happily married since
  • lauracusack
    Options
    Another thing is that I tend to buy high volumes of fruit and veg, so is there anywhere where you can bulk buy to save money?
    happily married since
  • iwilldoitthistime
    Options
    have you tried Costco? The one at metrocentre sells fruit by the tray. Not sure how cheap it is though, as I dont usually need the quantities they sell, but the quality looks good
    Sealed Pot no 2011 :D
  • lauracusack
    Options
    have you tried Costco? The one at metrocentre sells fruit by the tray. Not sure how cheap it is though, as I dont usually need the quantities they sell, but the quality looks good

I just had a peek on their website but it doesn't mention fruit and veg. Do you need a membership card to go there?
    happily married since
  • mavisangelica
    Options
    The Grainger Market in Newcastle have a few fruit and veg stalls that are very reasonable. There is one particularly on a corner (near where the Dr Martens stall is) in the lighter end where the cafes are that often has loads of offers.

The difference you will find though buying from stalls and greengrocers is that the stuff you buy from supermarkets tends to be under ripe so it keeps longer. The fruit from stalls tend to be ready to eat so it makes sense to shop locally a little and often rather than make a special trip to stock up into, say, Newcastle once a week and then finding it has gone off.
    Ditch 100 in January Challenge 100/100
    Ditch 100 in February Challenge 114/100
    Ditch 100 in March Challenge 100/100
    Ditch 100 in April Challenge 75/100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts