PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Options

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have given up chocolate and sweets for health as well as economy but we are supposed to eat fruit and vegetables aren't we? Now that I have given up sugar I seem to spend a lot of money on fruit, nuts, salad etc. For instance today I bought raspberries, pears, blueberries, bananas, plums, lettuce, mixed nuts, dried fruit,jacket potatoes, new potatoes. Its not the first time I have bought fruit this week and it seems awfully expensive.

Just wondering what others do. Some of this fruit is to go into healthy desserts and the rest eaten fresh. I.e today I am making a rice pudding with out of date milk and having stewed plums with it. I look out for offers like 2 for £3 in Asda etc.

I suppose some of you grow veg and/or have allotments. My garden is a building site at present so its not an option. Do you find some fruit cheaper than others? Or do you cut down on it? Just interested really.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• tesuhoha
    Options
    I also find it difficult planning fruit for lunches as do not know who is going to take what. Sometimes I have to throw old fruit away because no one has fancied it. Maybe I should try to make more desserts.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy very little fresh fruit because my budget doesn't allow much so I spend what I do have on fresh veg which tends to go much further. However, when I do buy any fruit it is only what is in season so at this time of year things like raspberries and blueberries would right off the menu, no matter how delicious. I wonder where those plums were imported from?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Throw fruit away! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, it needs to be cooked or served as a pudding. Or not bought at all.
  • tesuhoha
    Options
    I buy very little fresh fruit because my budget doesn't allow much so I spend what I do have on fresh veg which tends to go much further. However, when I do buy any fruit it is only what is in season so at this time of year things like raspberries and blueberries would right off the menu, no matter how delicious. I wonder where those plums were imported from?

Just had a look. They're from South Africa! I bought English Strawberries the other day and they were £1 a carton, delicious but you didn't get very many. I suppose I buy a lot because my daughter gives me quite a lot of money for her keep and she likes a lot of fruit as she is on a healthy diet too. She likes to take fruit for break and lunch. I must admit all of the soft fruit gets eaten but I am thinking I am being a bit extravagant.

I am better with vegetables because they go into casseroles and soups and they always get used up.

• tesuhoha
    Options
    Throw fruit away! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, it needs to be cooked or served as a pudding. Or not bought at all.

Well I don't usually throw it away if I can help it but I found an orange in the bottom of the fruit bowl today which had gone mouldy, so I had to throw that away. Had some overripe bananas last week but they all got eaten as I threw them into a fruit salad.

• alex21
    alex21 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    I seem to be topping up the fruitbowl constantly! I have a teenage son who would prefer a packed lunch to anything else but daily takes an apple, 2 satsumas, a banana and a another from either grapes, fresh wedges of pineapple, a kiwi or a soft fruit salad. I am not complaining because I know how lucky I am to have a great eater who prefers brown bread sarnies to burgers! I leave for work at half six so I can't do his breakfast and as he leaves the house for school at the last possible minute his default brekkie is banana and yoghurt. I get home after six by which time he has raided the fruitbowl again to tide him over until tea. No worries about his five a day!!!
  • roosterpotatoes
    Options
    I buy most of my veg frozen, (broccoli, cauli, green beans, leeks, mushrooms and peas) I buy carrots, onions and peppers fresh as not everyone in my fussy house hold likes all veg except from when its in a stew.
    I buy all my fruit fresh, usually little easy peeler oranges for the kids, apples , bananas and occasionally grapes if the price is right and wont eat things like berries out of season as they are too expensive :)
    If i was you id buy the fruit i knew i would be using for desserts from the frozen dept as you can then just take what you need.
    Also with things like peppers i go for the smart price ones as there is next to no difference if any at all :)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I buy very little fruit because I grow stuff.

Apples - only Discovery very early in the autumn and then from November, but this should reduce now other trees are coming into fruit. Only buy English.
    Rhubarb from Early March
    Gooseberries - green ones soon then hope to get the ripe ones later (they taste like kiwis but are martyrs to mildew)
    Strawberries and raspberries - both flowering now so in the next month (the wild straws ripen two weeks earlier)
    Redcurrants and white currants - both off the plot, then for preserves but I leave some for later when they are really sweet in September and October
    Blackcurrants to go with red juice for winter juices.
    Logan berries
    Later blackberries and autumn raspberries until the first frosts halt pollination.
    Started to get grapes now - in late August and hope to have more from mid-August to September. The ones that do not ripen make brilliant raisins.

I often head over and eat several handfuls in the morning - strawbs, raspbs, currants and berries. Frightened me witless when I realised that what I eat fro brekkie could cost £6 a day.

Very occasionally get kiwis, like melons in season, peaches and by citrus fruit in winter; I love grapefruit eaten like oranges and can get 6-10 for £1 off the market.

And I buy pears - not growing any yet.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    Now its spring, olives, mange tout, baby sweetcorn, watercress, asparagus, baby rocket, cucumber, baby plum tomatoes, salad potatoes, pink lady apples (always, love them), blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, all sorts of fruit really. I use lemons/limes for cooking/drinks.

I have a weekly graze box delivered too. Lots of dried fruit, seeds, and nuts in it. Very yummy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure