PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I often buy veg and freeze it myself unless its something like brussels which I love, then I will buy frozen until they are in season then I buy a good sized net of them.i could eat a plate of them with some grated cheese on top just on thier own.I like to buy stuff in season and I suppose as i live alone my veg is important to me and although i enjoy meat I could easily turn totally veggie.I do try to have at least two days a week with a vegetarian dinner in the evening. last week i bought three huge onions which cost me 50p and I chopped and froze them .I have in my freezer carrots ,leeks ,celery,onions,which I have bought fresh and froze them in poly bags.peas I too find easier to buy frozen mainly because they are expensive to buy fresh unless there is a glut of them most of my veg i buy at the farm shop and if possible I do like to buy organic but sometimes its only available in my local supermarket.
    Cabbage I adore and white cabbage i could eat by the plateful,I like it just undercooked so its got a bit of a 'snap' to it
    My sainsbobs do some great whoopsied veg around 7.00.p.m. in the evenings and often you can get lots of F&V quite cheaply.This week i am on a 'very frugal week' and I only need half a cucumber tomorrow as I have enough stuff left from last weeks shopping to see me over the week-end
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    I buy 2 melons, a pineapple, kiwis, grapes & a mango every week too. And a couple of bunches of bananas. We love our fruit.

That's why your bills are so high.

Seasonal eating is cheaper because there's normally a glut. It's ok if you're happy to spend that but the way to reduce cost is to buy what's cheap at this time of the year.

Right now, English apples and pears are in season, they will taste better than a mango picked when green and flown halfway around the world force ripened by ethylene gas.

I love mangoes but only when bought from ethnic shops as they don't bounce off the kitchen floor when I drop them.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    misskool wrote: »
    That's why your bills are so high.

Seasonal eating is cheaper because there's normally a glut. It's ok if you're happy to spend that but the way to reduce cost is to buy what's cheap at this time of the year.

Right now, English apples and pears are in season, they will taste better than a mango picked when green and flown halfway around the world force ripened by ethylene gas.

I love mangoes but only when bought from ethnic shops as they don't bounce off the kitchen floor when I drop them.

It makes a fantastic fruit salad & does us all week (we do two batches, I often buy 2 pineapples:o), it only lasts 3 days in the fridge.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    I buy peppers every week & every week I'm disgusted at the price:mad:

Tesco do a bag of four or five "value" peppers for £1 or thereabouts. I bought a bag yesterday....one red, one yellow, three green. All good medium sized ones but not entirely symmetrical. Taste the same though!
    Val.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 October 2010 at 7:24AM
    Options
    valk_scot wrote: »
    Tesco do a bag of four or five "value" peppers for £1 or thereabouts. I bought a bag yesterday....one red, one yellow, three green. All good medium sized ones but not entirely symmetrical. Taste the same though!

All those value bags are usually green heavy & I don't really like green ones.
    If those bags have lots of yellow &/or red I do buy them, but they rarely do:(
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I hate green peppers too, prefer yellow and orange. My oh drives me mad with Aldi/Lidl, comes home with lots of veg which I have trouble using as I have planned meals already. Last weekend he was in a huff after me pointing this out and made soup which was ok apart from adding red cabbage and making it a strange pink colour. Best to eat in the dark!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 October 2010 at 12:09PM
    Options
    It sounds like there might be an issue as how to strike a balance between wants and needs. Really, as Weezl points out quite rightly, to get your 5 a day you needn't spend more than a few pence per day - that's your "need" covered. But if we want to vary our diet more with fruit and veg out of season or coming from far away I think we cannot really complain about the added cost. Still, there are many ways to reduce this cost even if you cannot grow your own stuff.

Having said that, everybody can grow at least something, even if that means sprouting seeds and keeping a pot of herbs on the windowsill!

I try to eat local, organic and seasonal as far as possible but I am also occasionally tempted by a nice juicy pineapple or even strawberries and blueberries out of season, or avocado (one of my favourite foods in the world). Well, if I decide to buy those it is acceptable for me to pay the premium attached.

I agree that a lot of frozen veg do not taste anything like the fresh version, but they can be used in different way to minimise the mushier texture problem (mix frozen veg blended into soup for example).

I also grow a lot of my veg so I feel really fortunate to have almost 50% of the family veg (in summer) sorted out by front and back garden produce and allotment. Otherwise I order a seasonal veg box from the organic delivery, buy fruit at the farmers' market (if you buy the multi-bags of apples and pears it works out quite cheap). Top up fruit and veg from market stalls and sometimes supermarkets (with a keen eye on yellow stickers but not always possible).

It all comes down to balance, in the end, and to a bit of creativity in the kitchen, I think.

One word about Lidl, too: I do not believe that they are necessarily the cheapest shop in town - they used to be, but these days I found that some of the basic stuff in other supermarkets, as well as fruit and veg at the market stalls, are sometimes much cheaper. Worth shopping around!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hi I'm not sure if you mean a cheaper way to get your 5 a day, but this is the current cheapest way to get all your colours and your 5 a day, so this is how I usually do it, for example:

80g tomatoes from tinned tomatoes: 6.2p
    80g onion from 5kg sack: 3.15p
    80g carrot: 5.6p
    20g raisins: (dried portions are smaller as more nutritionally dense) 2.6p
    40g marrowfat peas: 3.2p

total per person per day 20.75p or £5.81 for a family of four for the week. (costings at asda using mysupermarket)

HTH :)

I am always astounded by how little the amounts are and yet still so many fail to eat that amount each day!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I think we may eat a weeks worth per day - there is another importance to this - portion control. :o
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I made a shepherd's pie for tea, and made potato and swede mash to top it. Swede in season, as it is now, is really cheap.

I don;t really like mashed potato, but this is yummy :T I added lots of veg (and some green lentils) to the minced lamb, and served with HG carrot, peas and sweetcorn, so at least 5-a-day in one meal :j

HG apple crumble for pud, too ;)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Ducati999S
    Options
    The cheapest way is soup.

Tesco value frozen veg 1kg 67p.
    Place 1/3 in a blender with 1/2 pint of stock.
    Add 2 table spoons of curry powder.
    Blend to a soup.
    Heat in the microwave.
    Total cost = around 25p.
    Job's a gooden!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts