PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Comments

• xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 6 May 2011 at 7:01PM
    I have an Aldi near me and I usually buy whatever is on their "Super 6" as long as I know it will be eaten. I also visit other supermarkets when I know they will have reduced the veg and fruit down to a fraction of the starting price. It's usually good for at least a few more days, but if it looks like it won't get eaten in time I will chop up and freeze in bags. I would blanche certain things as they freeze better but it's not essential. I have some cheap tins of sweetcorn and carrots on standby for emergencies and I always get bananas regardless as DS loves them. I agree it can be expensive but they are ways!

I grow as much as I can in the Summer, somethings save more money than others. I know your garden sounds like a no-go area st the moment but you can grow an awful lot in tubs and hanging baskets. I would recommend salad leaves (grow so quickly and great for picking a few leaves for a sandwich or fresh salad) in tubs and tomatoes (Tumbling Tom variety or similar) and strawberries in hanging baskets. I also have loads of herbs on the go as they are very dear in the shops.

Not something I do but if there is a market near you I have heard that they are genenerous with leftovers at the end of the day too.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There's a street market not too far from here which practically gives things away from about 5pm on a Saturday. I'm still kicking myself about not having bought a huge crate of apricots a few weeks back for a pound. Maybe there will be something nice to be had tomorrow?
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    On my shopping list as standard each week is:
    Potatoes (new or old depending on meal plan)
    Cherry tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Lettuce
    Onions
    Carrots
    Bananas
    Lemons
    Apples
    anything else depends on the meal plan, we try to eat in season too.
    We've just started growing lettuce and tomatoes.

I work in a supermarket so with discount and grabbing bargains after i've finished our fruit and veg bill isn't too bad.
    We rarely chuck anything away either.
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Lidl is my place. But I agree that it can be expensive if buying soft fruit.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi tesuhoha,

These threads have some good advice that may help:

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Five portions a day?

I'll add your thread to one of those later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There's a street market not too far from here which practically gives things away from about 5pm on a Saturday. I'm still kicking myself about not having bought a huge crate of apricots a few weeks back for a pound. Maybe there will be something nice to be had tomorrow?

If you are thinking of round-my-way you get some brilliant stuff around here. to be fair the prices are low all day, I seldom spend more than 10-15 on fruit and veg for the two of us in a week ( we eat a lot)would be more like 30 in supermarkets.

If you like berries, I buy the sains basic frozen berries for £1, they go a bit like coulis but you get a lot for £1 :)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I second the Aldi Super 6 depending what is on offer.
    I have started to buy frozen peppers and mushrooms as they are massively cheaper than fresh at the mo. I do get fresh mushrooms too, and soak a few of the dried 'posh ones', chop them up and mix them in with the smart price ones.
    I also buy whatever fruit or veg is reduced and if necessary, chop and freeze.
    I have started to freeze bananas once they are starting to go too spotty. No one here likes banana loaf at the mo. Mind you, this week, I made the mistake of just chucking them in the freezer unpeeled! Err, not the best idea as they are impossible to peel easily once frozen. it is doable, just, if you run them under a very hot tap, but quite a messy job! Worth it to make thick ice-cream type shakes.
    Tinned fruit is okay too. Sains basics are in juice, so much nicer than the ones in syrup. |The kids love pineapple, mandarins and peaches just now.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    If they look good and are priced between 69p and 99p I will buy one or two pineapples for breakfast. They are full of fibre and can be added to other dishes in the unlikely situation of their not getting eaten raw. £1 bag of apples, sometimes pears, grapefruit if the pink variety are about 30p each. Always bananas - one a day consistently eaten. Kiwi fruit occasionally. I grow strawberries. Rhubarb - always fairly reasonable from boot sales, etc. Veg and salad - a mix of Aldi, Lidl and home grown. I wish we had a covered market near here, but the nearest is 30 miles away and not the best. It's easy buying for just one or two, but for a family with likes and dislikes I remember it being a problem. Fortunately my own children were pretty good - and are bettter still now they have realised the social acceptability of f & G and the health benefits as well.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I only ever buy bananas (green) and grapes from a big supermarket. Otherwise I peruse my local fruit stall for whatever is seasonal, you can often get huge bowls for just a pound, sometimes they do unusual vegetables too which makes me a bit more creative in the kitchen. I generally go to Lidl for veg and additional fruit.

Atm I can't get enough of oranges and grapefruit!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm still kicking myself about not having bought a huge crate of apricots a few weeks back for a pound

If you get the opportunity again, why not stone them and then dry them out in a low oven? A tasty treat that will last for months!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure