Great Cheap but Lovely & Thoughtful Wedding Gift Hunt

Comments

• Buttercup1
    Buttercup1 Posts: 15 Forumite
    :A When I got married, one of our favourite presents was a memory box to store all the honeymoon photos, memorabilia, copy invites, wedding cards etc. We found it so thoughtful to have a special place to keep everything so we could look back on the day. Mine was from babies2brides.co.uk and had our names on the front and the date we got married. Its covered in real crystals and ribbons and is absolutely gorgeous. I dont think it was expensive to say its personalised and hand made. (think it was about £19).
  • tangletop
    tangletop Posts: 11 Forumite
    We had a beautiful guest book at our wedding, with lots of wonderful messages in, which has to be one of the loveliest ways to remember our wedding day. Someone also wrote us a fantasy story featuring the two of us as characters! We've often given those crystals that hang in windows and make rainbows all round the room, which I make an embroidered bag for and put a personal message in with it. Also a small box (which you can make easily enough - buy them from craft stores, or get one from a charity shop and paint it) with a message and/or small crystal (rose quartz heart is lovely) for keeping wedding rings in together at night. Hand-painted vases, glasses etc are also lovely. Or offer any kind of skills you can provide - massage, helping to decorate a new home, entertainment at the wedding (several friends DJ'd at ours which was great).
  • allean01
    allean01 Posts: 13 Forumite
    For something typically English, you could try a red pillar box, London bus, or other iconic items as money boxes - one for bride and a different one for the groom.

English sweets often go down well with North Americans or Cadbury's choccies; a union or St George flag to fly in their "yard" or on their car; Tiptree jam, scones and cornish clotted cream; a Wedgewood or similar vase; Irish Linen tea towels; anything with "Made in Britain" on the bottom.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Many thanks. Just been looking at Cath Kidston stuff but I dont know their taste, maybe shabby chic isnt there thing.

Funny you should mention chocolates (though I dont think they could be a wedding present) but my old friend - mum of the bridegroom - has asked if I could take some Roses chocs over with me :) Wonder if I could manage to carry one of those christmas size tins.
  • Yellowbug
    Yellowbug Posts: 639 Forumite
    maybe you could do a small hamper type of gift, with some proper cadburys choclate in it, and some proper tea etc etc :)
    Married on 5th March 2010
    still lurking on the wedding board tho :rotfl:
  • jan59
    jan59 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We were invited to a friend's daughter's evening reception.

I went round to the bride's house on the morning of the wedding and made teas, coffees etc during the hectic preparations. Waving them off in the cars, I set to, clearing up the mayhem left behind. All rooms were tidied, (even though I didn't know where everything went, just tidying things up made a difference) kitchen washed up and bathroom cleaned down, and everything set up so that all they had to do when they got back was kick their shoes off and flick the switch on the kettle.

Whilst we bought them a present as well, just reading some of the earlier posts, I thought you could combine this with a personalised welcome home hamper as described in the earlier posts!
    Everything in moderation..............including moderation..............
  • hethmar
    I was hoping Harrods would sell a pretty teapot, so it would be 2 strikes in one :)
  • archiebabes
    archiebabes Posts: 15 Forumite
    I look for vouchers on ebay at a discount. It's not a huge amount off but you can get 25% off the full price.
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    hethmar wrote: »
    I was hoping Harrods would sell a pretty teapot, so it would be 2 strikes in one :)
    What about Whittards of Chelsea they have stores in lots of places sell some nice teapots , shame the nice heart 1 I saw is out of stock, might be worth looking in your local store if you have 1. Noticed the have 20% off first orders so will help with those postage costs, & you get 20% back via quidco.
    Booo!!!
  • hethmar
    edited 27 June 2009 at 7:53PM
    Thanks :) Im worrying a bit now whether customs will want to open tea caddies and tins of roses chocs?

Shame they have sold out of that little chintz pot plus 2 cups. Thats pretty isnt it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure