Great Cheap but Lovely & Thoughtful Wedding Gift Hunt

Comments

• I'd suggest saving money on the wedding card so as to leave more to spend on the gift, by making a lovely and special card yourself. For example you can make one using a card blank (you can get big packs that work out cheaply i.e. 10p per card/envelope from Ebay or large craft shops and you can use the rest for other greetings cards) and sticking a photo that is special to the couple, is a picture of the couple, or is just a particularly nice and appropriate photo that you have taken yourself.

I got this idea from a charity blogsite that gives tips each week to help people save money so they can donate part of their saving to biomedical research into ME/CFS - the instructions about making your own cards are at http://justfourquid.com/2009/06/02/week-4-the-week-of-greetings/
  • I recently bought a rose called 'together forever' from my local garden centre. It cost under £10 and is a lasting gift.
  • VickiB
    VickiB Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    From an experienced gardener to an inexperience-but-really-interested-in-gardening couple: how about a suitable plant plus a couple of hours of advice and ideas?
  • A thoughtful gift we received was that a couple of friends took photos of our wedding, nipped off between the ceremony and the evening do', got the photos processed (1 hour deal) and presented them to us in a wedding album at the evening do'. It was really great as we didn't receive the photographers photos for several weeks after the event and any evening guests that hadn't been invited to the day could see the wedding pic's too.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Whilst reading a wedding magazine today I came across a cheapy present idea. Lacquered bud vases in three different shades of glossy teal, suitable for a single flower stem or simply as a decoration on their own. The set is priced at £4.49 from Dunelm Mill - https://www.dunelm-mill.com

or if you have a bit more money then you can buy a striking black handcrafted vase from the Influence Collection by Lawrence LLewelyn-Bowen at Matalan for £20 https://www.matalan.co.uk
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    I made my friends wedding invites as a present once, she was made up!

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• My Sister asked my for Table Bombs for a wedding present. They were about £12 each (one for each table needed) and certainly made the reception go with a bang!
  • sheenaf
    sheenaf Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A childhood friend of my DH had become 'rich and famous' and was marrying another celb. DH sent me off with a £100 (which we could ill afford) to find a suitable present as the family had given us a good present when we married. After much searching and agonising I ended up in a glasswear department where I spotted the biggest vases I have ever seen. They were 'seconds' in crackle glass and I could not detect any flaws so bought one. Took it home to DH who thought it was just the very thing and asked hopefully for 'any change?' He was totally amazed when I handed over £92.50. Then he tried to argue that it was too cheap!

However, we got a lovely note of thanks from the bride, which said that she was desperate for a giant vase for all the bouquets she kept receiving. I suspect the vases were so cheap because only a select few need big vases for big bouquets!
  • sassysez
    sassysez Posts: 19 Forumite
    We recently bought a pressy for friends getting married which was a bin for their bathroom which was actually on their wedding list anyway and was only £10 but then we filled it with 2 mini bottles of champagne and some bath bombs. They were very happy with it.

Another suggestion is to buy various tupperware storage tubs which most newly weds have on their list and fill them with fun things such as various kinds of sweets, stuff for the bath etc. Makes it a bit more fun and is certainly different!!
  • midjet666
    midjet666 Posts: 29 Forumite
    I was thinking of something from Snapfish/Truprint (another member mentioned photobox too). They usually have something on offer, so you could choose a black and white photo and have it made into a poster or a mug. Or you could choose some short poems and have they put onto a set of porcelain mugs.
    Or another favourite of mine is getting a photo of my son (he's 3, and I do this for family only!) I choose maybe a lighter or a champagne flute on ebay and get it engraved onto there. It's a lovely present for them as they enjoy it as much as I do!! Also, I wait until the offers are on at snapfish at order the free collage posters (usually £1.99 postage, so not quite free) and choose a selection of photos so that the recipient can enjoy a mixed poster. When framed, it's almost as good as a canvas and it's virtually free!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure