Great Cheap but Lovely & Thoughtful Wedding Gift Hunt

Comments

• I think a nice idea for a wedding gift is homemade celebratory jams & or chutneys. These can be made really cheaply : recycle glass jars, gather hedgerow fruit, sugar & vinegar are both very cheap (especially if bought in bulk); & dressed up with a pretty label & ribbon. Also make great wedding favours - see my blog for further details: http://maxandmollydesigns.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/hedgerow-treasures/
  • When I was a poor student my best frend got married. I was really broke and couldn't afford a 'proper' wedding present. So I bought a pretty tray, two mugs and small plates, two tea spoons and two egg cups. They really loved my 'breakfast in bed' present.
  • My friend of 20+ years got married a couple of weeks ago and my husband is currently out of work, we couldn't even afford to go to the evening party. I volunteered to call on her mum and do the shopping etc while they were on honeymoon. They had less worries while they were away and her mum got some company. All it cost me was some time and fuel.
  • sophiesofa
    sophiesofa Posts: 22 Forumite
    i don't mean to sound mean but i think things like a scented candle are a bit too cheap and thoughtless for a wedding present. Obviously if they're into their candles then it's a good present. I think making something or making vouchers such as 5 hours decorating or babysitting is better if you don't have the funds. If you're going to the reception for a sit down dinner with alcohol then they're spending at least £20 just to have you there. If you just don't have money at the time but will do soon then you could make an IOU card with a picture of what you're going to give them. If they're some kind of distant relative you haven't seen for years and you have no real friendship with it's probably best to not go if you won't enjoy it and you can't afford or don't want to/can't make a good present.
  • nementai
    nementai Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A friend of mine is giving us a 'Big Brother diary room' video of all our guests. He's borrowing a camers, and will get all the guests to leave a video message. He'll cut and edit it and give us the DVD of all our mates wishing us well.
    Since we can't afford a videographer it'll be a lovely chance for us to see everyone on film and shouldn't cost him anything other than time!
    When we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present....we experience heaven on earth. Sarah Ban Breathnach
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Remember that if you give a knife as a present that you must attach a silver coin to it (I usually use a 20p as I always have plenty of them). The reason that you attach something silver is so that your friendship is never ended.

Its the same with a purse, if you give a purse as a present put a coin in it so that it will never be empty:D
  • sambagirl
    sambagirl Posts: 5 Forumite
    My brother recently got engaged, and as an engagement present (which could also be used as a wedding present) I bought him and his fiancee a voucher for 2 for afternoon tea at a local stately home. They can be very reasonably priced, and the date is open, so they can pick a beautiful summer's day for a memorable day out.
  • SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I usually do a suitable verse from the Bible (or suitable poem if they would object to the Bible) in calligraphy - there's one I did here to show what I mean.
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
  • Original Message:-
    Remember that if you give a knife as a present that you must attach a silver coin to it (I usually use a 20p as I always have plenty of them). The reason that you attach something silver is so that your friendship is never ended.

Its the same with a purse, if you give a purse as a present put a coin in it so that it will never be empty:D

I think if your giving a knife you have to receive silver money not give silver money. The person who is being given the knife pays in silver money and has then bought the knife to prevent the giver being stapped in the back when they turn away. I have never heard of giving the knife AND money to continue the friendship. I have heard about the coins in a purse and money box though.
  • sjcollett
    sjcollett Posts: 185 Forumite
    We went to some antiques shops and and managed to find a wonderful present for our friends [an arts and craft bell on a stand]. They absolutely loved it because we thought about them and their house and got them a gift with history!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure