Great Cheap but Lovely & Thoughtful Wedding Gift Hunt

Comments

• IWantToBeFree_2
    IWantToBeFree_2 Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    sophiesofa wrote: »
    i don't mean to sound mean but i think things like a scented candle are a bit too cheap and thoughtless for a wedding present. Obviously if they're into their candles then it's a good present. I think making something or making vouchers such as 5 hours decorating or babysitting is better if you don't have the funds. If you're going to the reception for a sit down dinner with alcohol then they're spending at least £20 just to have you there. If you just don't have money at the time but will do soon then you could make an IOU card with a picture of what you're going to give them. If they're some kind of distant relative you haven't seen for years and you have no real friendship with it's probably best to not go if you won't enjoy it and you can't afford or don't want to/can't make a good present.

I disagree completely. It is the bride and grooms choice to spend £X per guest and the guests shouldn't be made to feel like they have to give something of value.

I have no gift list and when people have asked I have said I would simply rather them spend the day with me than get me any kind of gift if they cannot afford to. Times are tough, and expecting people to bring expensive gifts to a glorified !!!! up is wrong.
  • waddy80
    waddy80 Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did a 'Honeymoon Survival Kit' for some friends of ours who got married on saturday. It had:
    Condoms
    KY
    Handcuffs
    Eye Mask
    Scented Candles
    His and hers smellies (small deodarant sprays, bath foam, etc)
    Paracetomol
    Alka Seltzer
    Sun cream
    Earplugs (for the groom to get rid of the nagging)

And the couple had asked for money as a gift, so I put some left over dollars in an envelope marked Bail money. The couple are honeymooning in the usa, they flew this morning, I got a text from the bride last night saying the kit was in her bag!!!

It's the sort of thing that is personal, but you can tailor to your budget.
    Money, money, money, must be funny....in a rich mans world.

• MeNikki
    MeNikki Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2009 at 12:08PM
    My cousin got married just last Saturday (20 June) and as a wedding present I bought them a little digital photo frame (I got mine on sale from an online retailer at £17.99 usually retails for £24.99) and an SD card to go with it. At the wedding I shot quite a few pictures and stuck a nice selection onto the card and left it at my auntie's place. One it meant that my aunt and grandmother could watch some pictures straight away without having to wait for the 'official' pictures (I also had a few spare small SD cards that I filled with pictures for each of them, so they can get as many prints as they like). Two when my cousin and wife went to visit his mother they also straight away had some pictures to look at. Plus I got a card that has plentiful empty space so they can fit all the wedding pictures on there and once the pictures are downloaded to his computer he could re-use the card in his own digital camera.
    They were really delighted and phoned me straight away to thank me for the gift saying that the pictures were wonderful and as both were quite stressed they particularly liked the detail shots I took (table decorations, wedding bouqet, food, drinks table, details of her wedding dress, favours, etc) as they hadn't had time to stop and notice all those little things.

In items the gift cost about £25, but to them it's worth so much more and not to mention the immense smiles, hugs and thanks I got from his mother and my grandmother.
    Life without string would be chaos.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Vickyster wrote: »
    Original Message:-
    Remember that if you give a knife as a present that you must attach a silver coin to it (I usually use a 20p as I always have plenty of them). The reason that you attach something silver is so that your friendship is never ended.

Its the same with a purse, if you give a purse as a present put a coin in it so that it will never be empty:D

I think if your giving a knife you have to receive silver money not give silver money. The person who is being given the knife pays in silver money and has then bought the knife to prevent the giver being stapped in the back when they turn away. I have never heard of giving the knife AND money to continue the friendship. I have heard about the coins in a purse and money box though.

It was something that I was told by my grandma and everyone does it in our family - if we give a knife we attach a silver coin to it - I was always told that it was so that your friendship wasnt severed.
  • In the past I have created postage stamps with a photgraph taken on the wedding day and they have gone down tremendously well. They are available on the Royal Mail website and they are called smilers, you upload the photo and you can have a number of captions. I tend to choose 'Thank you' as then the couple can use them to send out their thank you cards. You can choose how many sheets to send dependant upon your budget and the couple can always purchase more if they wish.

Keep saving......
  • My idea is to either make (if your creative!) or buy a guestbook for the bride and groom. If you buy one you can always personalise it by adding your own embellishments. They needn't been expensive as you can buy a plain scrapbook quite cheaply from art shops and then decorate it nicely.

Then at the wedding take responsibility for getting everyone to sign the book and leave thier messages for the happy couple. If no-one takes charge of doing this you can end up with quite an empty looking book. So take it round all the tables and make everyone sign!! Some poeple like to have a theme like writing a tip for a happy marriage or each person writing their favourite funny story about the couple.

I did a guest book recently for a friends wedding and made sure every other page was left blank then while they were on the honeymoon I filled the blank pages with silly snapshots from throughout the day and re-wrapped it for when they got back. They really loved it as it is so personalised and brings lots of happy memories when the look at it.

What a lovely idea! My parents bought us a memory book and my brother and sister were tasked with going round with a poloroid camera, sticking the photos in and getting all the guests to sign it. Some of the photos are great (inclduding one of me looking terrified at the confetti!) and it makes me smile whenever I see it - by far one on my favourate ever presents (and very cheap!).
    Trying hard to remember... "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." David Coperfield
    [STRIKE]C/C £800[/STRIKE] paid off February! :T
    And onto the next...
  • A couple of ideas that I have done in the past.

- I did a reading at my brothers wedding, so I printed out the reading on good quality paper in a nice font and then had it framed.

- 2 mates got married so i put together a "1st anniversary box" which was meant for them to keep until their 1st anniversary, if I remember correctly it had a bottle of sparkling wine, nice bubble bath, massage lotion, a romantic cd, well dated chocs, etc etc. They kept it under the bed for a year

I did that for a friend but also included momentos and photos they hadn't seen from the day. I told them I had it but wouldn't let them have it (I didn't trust them not to look!) so by the time it arrived in the post for their anniversary they had completely forgotton and it was a lovely surprise!
    Trying hard to remember... "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." David Coperfield
    And onto the next...
  • I disagree completely. It is the bride and grooms choice to spend £X per guest and the guests shouldn't be made to feel like they have to give something of value.

I have no gift list and when people have asked I have said I would simply rather them spend the day with me than get me any kind of gift if they cannot afford to. Times are tough, and expecting people to bring expensive gifts to a glorified !!!! up is wrong.

I agree. When we got married it was about having the people we loved celebrate with us. Some people had to spend a lot of money and time getting to the venue (we had people travelling from literally all over the UK) and if it was a choice of a fancy present in the post or no present and their company we would far, far sooner have them there. Similarly some of our guests didn't have a great deal of money and the thought of them panicking and worrying about having to buy us something expensive made us feel awful. Yeah, we got some rubbish gifts but the thoughts behind them were sweet even if the gift was a bit off and just becasue someone spends a fortune doesn't mean that the gift would be any better anyway! At least with a personalised gift it shows you've put some thought and time into it.
    And onto the next...
  • A thoughtful idea I got from a friend is to ask the guests to write messages on small scrolls so that the couple can open them on their first wedding anniversary (Paper).

Although not completely free, you can get nice but cheap parchment paper from places like The Paper Mill, cut to size and roll round a wooden spoon. Then buy some ribbon in the appropriate colour theme and place in a nicely decorated basket or something similar and ensure that all the guests write a message and tie back up so that they have a nice surprise in a year's time!

Other ideas at weddings I have been to included a wedding video diary as they didn't have an official wedding video and as many have you suggested printing some photos off for the newlywed's return or evening do.
  • AniaS
    AniaS Posts: 15 Forumite
    If you take a nice weeding picture the pieces shapes could be champagne glasses, wedding bells, bride and doves. The quality is really good and they are very different to what most people believe jigsaw is like.
    http://www.jigsaws.co.uk
    http://www.jigsaws.co.uk/std_personalised_puzzles.php?wsrc=wk25-2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family