IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking fine at Mid-kent college

Options
My daughter who is a new driver, took her car into college today for the first time. She is a full-time student at mid-kent college. She parked up in the student car park area but saw no signs saying she would need a parking permit. She has never used the car park until today as she used public transport. No-one told her she would need a parking permit even though she mentioned to her lecturer that she had brought the car in for the first time today. She arrived at the premises at 8:40am and the ticket was issued at 13:54 just after she returned from lunch. At the end of college realising that she had been issued with a fine she applied for and received a parking permit. My question is what should we do when the fine comes through? Pay up or try to appeal on the grounds that she had no knowledge of needing a permit and that it took them almost 5hrs to realise the car was there, I reckon they spotted her returning after her lunch break. I don't want to get into trouble for not paying the fine or being forced to pay more (it is £40) but equally would rather not have to pay. Incidentally the college parking is free anyway to students so what exactly has been lost by her parking there? Most of the advice here seems to be to ignore any contact they may make with us. Also if they contact the DVLA for owner details the car has only just been purchased so am concerned they will contact the previous owner?

Comments

• sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not a fine. It's an invoice. The college (or PPC employed by them) have no authority to issue fines.

Read through the sticky about private parking, and file it away in a drawer and ignore.

You will get some letters ine time - probably scary coloured and bold type on chequered letterhead, but they are nothing to worry about.

Incidentally, which company is the ticket from? And what do they call it? A penalty charge notice? Invoice? Parking charge notice?
  • Avenlor
    Options
    sarahg1969, thanks for the words of wisdom, i shall certainly read the sticky and have indeed read several forums on this very topic. We are still waiting to get the charge certificate but the company is UKPC. I have written to the college principle about it but am not holding my breath. will read the sticky and maybe post more questions
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If UKPC are involved, just ignore it. Beyond the permit issue (which I take is from the college directly?) There is no chance of it causing her problems.
  • Avenlor
    Options
    thanks pogofish, yeah she now has a permit issued by the college so hopefully no future tickets provided she makes sure it is displayed properly. can i really ignore it? know I will get freaked out by any letters they may send
  • pogofish
    Options
    Yes - To save going through it all over again, just stick UKPC in the "search this forum" box and you will get plenty of threads that explain their methods.

Just keep strong with the letters. :)
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    What is the college policy on non payment of these parking invoices for students by the way?

Just a thought before you bin it.........

I would ignore everyone above until you find that out..
    Not Again
  • pogofish
    Options
    What is the college policy on non payment of these parking invoices for students by the way?

That might be an issue for the permit, depending on just who issues it but it will not be an issue for any ticket from UKPC. Any claimed "debt" will be with them and them alone.
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    That might be an issue for the permit, depending on just who issues it but it will not be an issue for any ticket from UKPC. Any claimed "debt" will be with them and them alone.

Pogofish.

Stop giving out advise willy nilly without thinking of it.

Not every case is the same.

You do it without even thinking of the consequences.

You do not know the colleges policy on parking & have never asked.

Some in the past have refused to give out diplomas until fines have been paid.

You really ought to think more.
    Not Again
  • pogofish
    edited 19 June 2009 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Some in the past have refused to give out diplomas until fines have been paid.

To begin with, these are not fines. Neither the college nor UKPC has any power to fine anyone.

Then there is the little matter that courts won't uphold them as "debts" of any sort. So any institution involving themselves in this would be looking to get its fingers burned legally. Potentially quite badly.

And finally, the usual PPC deal is to offer the institution/client a "compensatory" payment for every recovered ticket only. So there is no issue of non-payment to the college involved at all.

Oh and I do have some experience of parking contractors and unenforcable interpretations of contract law at educational institutions. :p:)
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    To begin with, these are not fines. Neither the college nor UKPC has any power to fine anyone.

Then there is the little matter that courts won't uphold them as "debts" of any sort. So any institution involving themselves in this would be looking to get its fingers burned legally. Potentially quite badly.

And finally, the usual PPC deal is to offer the institution/client a "compensatory" payment for every recovered ticket only. So there is no issue of non-payment to the college involved at all.

Oh and I do have some experience of parking contractors and unenforcable interpretations of contract law at educational institutions. :p:)

Yes but there are other things to consider beyond paying the fine.

I am sure they won't need to pay it, but, it will be a rather expensive lesson if they in turn refuse to issue her with whatever qualification she is studying for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport